Caches Around Disney

tnfishdaddy

If you are staying on Disney property, you are pretty much out of luck. Disney does not want physical caches and you won't find anything other than the virtuals. Orlando is not pedestrian-friendly and you will need a car if you want to escape Rat World. You can do a proximity search around the WDW virtuals and get a list of what is nearby, in case you are staying someplace else. Good luck.

Unfortunately I am stuck on property. My wife talked me into flying. :D

Well.... there's not a GREAT public transportation system in Orlando, but there is one. It's honestly not too bad - I've used it from time to time commuting. (I should mention I'm originally from NY.) Decent service out to Disney (not like there's lots of jobs in that area or anything :) ) Reasonably safe during the day and cheap as long as you've got the time.

www.golynx.com Try the #50 bus.

Suggestion I would have would be to take the #50 or a taxi to the International Drive area - there's LOTS to keep someone else occupied while you look for the half-dozen or so caches in that area. (And a trolley service, too. International Drive Trolley)

But you're right, it's not easy to get around Happytown without a car or at least a bike.

Have a nice trip! It's been unseasonably cold this last week (low actually got near freezing last night) but should be back to normal by the time you get here.

I'm not familiar with the Disney area, myself, but here's bookmarked list Your Disney Vacation by Blue Man, an Orlando local.

Well.... there's not a GREAT public transportation system in Orlando, but there is one. It's honestly not too bad - I've used it from time to time commuting. (I should mention I'm originally from NY.) Decent service out to Disney (not like there's lots of jobs in that area or anything :laughing: ) Reasonably safe during the day and cheap as long as you've got the time.

www.golynx.com Try the #50 bus.

Suggestion I would have would be to take the #50 or a taxi to the International Drive area - there's LOTS to keep someone else occupied while you look for the half-dozen or so caches in that area. (And a trolley service, too. International Drive Trolley)

But you're right, it's not easy to get around Happytown without a car or at least a bike.

Have a nice trip! It's been unseasonably cold this last week (low actually got near freezing last night) but should be back to normal by the time you get here.

Thanks for all this information. We're coming over next March with most of my husbands family. Unfortunately I'm not going to be insured to drive the hire car so may have to venture onto the bus (can't be much worse than here!). We're not finding out where we are staying until we arrive and could be anywhere within 30 minutes drive of Disney :laughing: so bringing a PDA full of listings.

Have a great trip tnfishdaddy I loved it there last time.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Karen

Unfortunately I am stuck on property. My wife talked me into flying. :P

I go every year... and being on property is definitely the way to go. Disney buses and monorails run all over the place. You dont need a car. Try looking up "downtown disney". Its a shopping area close to the outside of the park. You might be able to catch a taxi to the downtown area...and if there is a public transport system, the bus might stop there. I never leave the area for downtown orlando, so I just dont know...

I remember a number of years ago when there were a few micros in the parks. I can see them not wanting caches on property, especially after the 9-11 conspiracy has everyone scared of terrorists. Plus, the muggle traffic is so bad I dont see how one could last long. Disney is always painting, sprucing up, redoing stuff. Its no public park that sees a cleaning crew once every six months.