GPS Buying Advice

As the topic description implies, I'm new in this community and am looking to buy my first GPS. I don't really know much about these things, being that I've never really messed with one, and the onlyone I've ever handled was probably 5-6 years ago. I'm very technologically inclined, but I'm not sure if that means anything in this case. I'm currently looking at one on Amazon (Link at bottom), but I don't know if it's a good one. Let me know your opinnions of that one and/or your suggestions for others. Here are my criteria; if not every single one can be met, I understand. We'll just try to hit most of them:

· I'm looking to spend in the $100-200 range, but cheaper is better. I don't have much cash to spare.

· I want something that can save multiple waypoints. The more the better.

· I'd prefer something with a map database.

· I've heard about units that can interface with a PC and upload all your recorded data and routes and such. That would be nice.

· Monochrome screen is fine. I don't need any fancy colours. I actually think I'd prefer black and white.

· Battery life is important.

· Having good reception in heavily wooded areas is a big plus.

· I want one that will fit in my pocket, which most of them seem to do that.

Finally, here's the one I'm looking at on Amazon (After only viewing a couple, but like I said, I don't know what to look for.):

Garmin eTrex on Amazon.com (Clicky here)

Thanks in advance for your info/advice, it may be several hours inbetween chances I get to check on this post.

-CFM

Update: I may have found a better deal. Clicky Here

Edited by Ceiling Fan Man

The Legend is a nice unit, but lacks the newer ("H") high-sensitivity chipset that will perform better under dense canopy, etc. The eTrex series is definitely the way to go, but get one with an "H" tagged onto the name.

I do recommend color. The color TFT screens are much brighter in daylight. IMHO getting a monochrome unit would be a big mistake.

No units in this price range will have anything other than a base map. You might want to figure the cost of Garmin Topo US into your expenditures. It's not "locked" to a particular unit, so a used one from eBay is okay.

I'd recommend the eTrex Venture HC (link goes to my write up on it). If you read that it will tell you why you should avoid the basic eTrex H, and why you might want to upgrade to the Legend HCx. The Venture HC is currently $130 at Amazon, but has been being around $115.

Thank you for the replies. I found this Legend HCx on Amazon for $189.89. Is that a good price?

Also, That DeLorme PN-20... Seems like a nice unit as well, but I don't personally know anybody who owns a DeLorme. Can it connect to a computer to download/upload your routes and such like Garmins can?

Sorry I'm making this short, I'd like to add more detail but I need to get to work. Be back in 8 hours.

-CFM

I'll suggest 2.

The Garmin Legend HCx (around $185 is a good deal) - color screen, long battery life, geocaching mode, expandable memory, 1000 waypoints, autorouting (with the right maps), rugged.

or

The Garmin Venture HC - about $130 - 500 waypoints, no autorouting or expandable memory - all else same as above. Very nice unit for the money.

I am new also and after having read all the posts I went with the Venture. It was 114.00 and free shiiping at Amazon.com. I have used it and I can tell you it was easy to setup and easy to use. You can download from your PC to the unit and I was able to go out the next day and find my first cache.

Also, That DeLorme PN-20... Seems like a nice unit as well, but I don't personally know anybody who owns a DeLorme. Can it connect to a computer to download/upload your routes and such like Garmins can?

-CFM

Yes, it will do exactly that. You connect the DeLorme PN-20 to your PC and then transfer the cache waypoints that you have downloaded to the PN-20. That is accomplished with the bundled Topo USA 7.0 application, which also includes the detail topo maps of the entire US.

A number of folks here are favoring paperless geocaching. The PN-20 will provide a paperless geocaching experience right out of the box - neither other hardware (such as a PDS) nor other software (such ad GSAK and Cachemate) to aquire.

A firmware for the PN-20 and the new PN-40,expected to be released before the end of the year, is described here:

http://blog.delorme.com/

True, there are many users of the PN-20 here as compared to those who use other GPSrs; however, the PN-20s have been out for less than 2 years. Searching herein will not reveal very little dissatisfaction with it as a geocaching device. Now, just this week DeLorme has started shipping their new, enhanced model, the PN-40. Check here for the anticipation level:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206401

All right... I have compared the lists of specs side-by-side (Ha ha, I wrote "side-by-die" first and had to edit it to fix it. I found that an amusing mistake.) between the Garmin Legend HCx and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-20. The PN-20 seems to be superior in every way except battery life, which is 14 hours compared to Garmin's 25. 14 hours is still a long time, that + and extra set on hand would be just fine. The only thing still going for Garmin is that I have (Albeit very minimal) experience with a Garmin. My uncle had a Garmin Vista of some kind 5-6 years ago, and I played with it a little bit. I was only 15 or 16 at the time and I don't remember much except that it graphed elevation changes and speed.

I have 3 things I would like some clarification on, though:

1) Does the PN-20 graph elevation and speed like my Uncle's Garmin of several years ago?

2) Can the PN-20 take your recorded tracks and graphs and save them to a computer via USB cable, like a friend of mine says his 6-year-old, $100 Garmin does?

3) Is a refurbished unit pretty much as good as new? CowboyPapa posted a link to get a cheap PN-20 Refurb from TigerGPS, and it is very tempting. However, I don't want to buy a unit that will die on me in 6 months.

So far, I think I will be going with a PN-20. I'll check back again in 5-10 hours... Bedtime for me.

1. The PN-20 records elevation and speed information, but does not display this information in graphical form on the GPS. Once you upload the track information to the Topo7 software, you can easily create a profile. The inclusion of the mapping software (includes topo and autorouting capabilities) with the GPS makes this an outstanding value IMO. With all the extra features in the map program, it can be a little complicated to learn--but there's lots of support on the Delorme Users forum.

Lippincotelevation.jpg

2. USB cable connection allows the exchange of tracks, waypoints, and routes between PC and GPS.

3. I've heard no complaints about the refurbs from Tiger...people say they look just like new, except for a sticker labeling them as reconditioned or something like that. They have the full warranty coverage from Delorme, and I've found my PN-20 to be very durable. For the money, I don't think they can be beat.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 8 , 6 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot ( a 2G card holds maps of every state in the U.S.), sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons,waterproff/floating ( split line case has O-ring gasket) quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend Streets and Destinations software works great with these...your maps can be loaded to multiple units, card swapped unit to unit etc. and can be had on ebay for $20 to $40....NO EXPENSIVE WEIRD MAP STUFF. Once you find a cache you can delete it from your map screen. I've gotten nice ( some new) Platinums on ebay for $150 or cheaper.

If I HAD to change it would be a Garmin 60 CSX hands down. Has above features plus color but screen is smaller and buttons WAY smaller plus expensive map hum-bug.

1. The PN-20 records elevation and speed information, but does not display this information in graphical form on the GPS. Once you upload the track information to the Topo7 software, you can easily create a profile. The inclusion of the mapping software (includes topo and autorouting capabilities) with the GPS makes this an outstanding value IMO. With all the extra features in the map program, it can be a little complicated to learn--but there's lots of support on the Delorme Users forum.

[Image excluded to save space]

2. USB cable connection allows the exchange of tracks, waypoints, and routes between PC and GPS.

3. I've heard no complaints about the refurbs from Tiger...people say they look just like new, except for a sticker labeling them as reconditioned or something like that. They have the full warranty coverage from Delorme, and I've found my PN-20 to be very durable. For the money, I don't think they can be beat.

I don't think I'll have any problems using the software. Might spend an hour learning it; then I'd be showing DeLorme new stuff to do with it. (I write software) :D .

That's an informative post, Embra. I appreciate the screenshot. I think at this point the PN-20 wins over Garmin, hands down, and I may be purchasing it sooner than I had originally planned.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 8 , 6 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot ( a 2G card holds maps of every state in the U.S.), sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons,waterproff/floating ( split line case has O-ring gasket) quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend Streets and Destinations software works great with these...your maps can be loaded to multiple units, card swapped unit to unit etc. and can be had on ebay for $20 to $40....NO EXPENSIVE WEIRD MAP STUFF. Once you find a cache you can delete it from your map screen. I've gotten nice ( some new) Platinums on ebay for $150 or cheaper.

If I HAD to change it would be a Garmin 60 CSX hands down. Has above features plus color but screen is smaller and buttons WAY smaller plus expensive map hum-bug.

I looked up 'Magellan Platinum' in a few different places, but can't find much. The only unit I'm coming up with is a monochrome, or 'grayscale' is a better word for it, unit, which I have been talked into a colour unit for a while now.

I believe I've decided on the PN-20 refurb from TigerGPS. Thanks to all of you, for your input, links, and opinnions. I'll check this topic a few more times before I let it slip off into the depths of the forums, in case anybody else has information that I might be interested in.

-CFM

I don't think I'll have any problems using the software. Might spend an hour learning it; then I'd be showing DeLorme new stuff to do with it. (I write software) :D .

-CFM

That's great to hear, we love it when people share new ways to use our products. I also try hard to keep up with all the suggestions and new ideas that appear on our DeLorme forums. We have our hands full with all of the active participants. You think CowboyPapa is passionate about his GPS device over here, you should see how many posts he has over at forum.delorme.com!

Post away, you'll find users over there are as helpful as they are here and they like to talk through new ideas. Send me an e-mail too... I'm always looking for first impressions on the design of our products.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

For whatever my two cents are worth.

I've owned a smaller Garmin and have been been using a Magellan for over a year now. I very recently picked up a DeLorme PN-20. I've been using DeLorme's Topo maps since they came out with 5.0. Though I've only had the PN-20 for a week or so now all I can say is you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Man I love this thing.

The other thing that is comforting to know is I recently ran into Greg from Team Delorme while he was doing demos here in town. If the rest of the people at Delorme are half as nice and helpful as that guy I'll own nothing but from here on out.

Well, I've ordered the PN-20 Refurb from TigerGPS Wednesday before work. I went with 2-day shipping in high hopes that I'll have it by Friday for the weekend. I keep all who are interested updated as to when I get it and how I like it.

Also, about this post:

-CFM

That's great to hear, we love it when people share new ways to use our products. I also try hard to keep up with all the suggestions and new ideas that appear on our DeLorme forums. We have our hands full with all of the active participants. You think CowboyPapa is passionate about his GPS device over here, you should see how many posts he has over at forum.delorme.com!

Post away, you'll find users over there are as helpful as they are here and they like to talk through new ideas. Send me an e-mail too... I'm always looking for first impressions on the design of our products.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

...The software that I write are actually mostly video games, nevertheless that has lead to a great understanding of how any software application works. I'm just saying I think I will learn fast, I wasn't suggesting I was going to write new extensions into the programs. :). Also, sort of on-subject, the fact that DeLorme is reading and replying to our posts here on this forum says a lot about the company and their customer care. It's comparable to Corsair brand computer memory - They reply to people's product reviews and such, good or bad. I use Corsair memory exclusively, and that is one of the reasons that I do - Good, friendly, honest, trustworthy company.

...The software that I write are actually mostly video games, nevertheless that has lead to a great understanding of how any software application works. I'm just saying I think I will learn fast, I wasn't suggesting I was going to write new extensions into the programs. :D.

That's cool, I knew what you meant. Since you're in the gaming industry I absolutely want to hear what you think about our 3-D features. We put a lot of work into redesigning the interface with Topo USA 7.0. It's one of the unsung features here in the Geocaching.com forum but if you're ever looking for a cache on a ridge line it will be a valuable tool! Play back some of the track logs too, there are logs for a glider and an airplane that will un-pin the cursor from the terrain and let you observe a flying 3-D icon. I'll still be looking for your review of the geocaching features too... keep an eye out for a firmware update bringing you even more geocaching functionality.

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/

Thanks,

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I ordered that PN-20 on 11/19 when I first woke up, ordered 2ND Day Air shipping for $13-ish, because 2ND Day would be Friday - In time for the weekend, and I JUST got my confirmation that it shipped today and the expected delivary date is 11/24. That's like standard 5-day shipping, and I'll receive it on Monday - Just in time to have to wait all week to use it because of work.

So disappointing...

Also a little aggrivating: Just one day prior to ordering the GPS, I ordered a Xbox game. I selected standard shipping there, and it will be delivered tomorrow. Also UPS.

Oh well, I guess.....

As the topic description implies, I'm new in this community and am looking to buy my first GPS. I don't really know much about these things, being that I've never really messed with one, and the onlyone I've ever handled was probably 5-6 years ago. I'm very technologically inclined, but I'm not sure if that means anything in this case. I'm currently looking at one on Amazon (Link at bottom), but I don't know if it's a good one. Let me know your opinnions of that one and/or your suggestions for others. Here are my criteria; if not every single one can be met, I understand. We'll just try to hit most of them:

· I'm looking to spend in the $100-200 range, but cheaper is better. I don't have much cash to spare.

· I want something that can save multiple waypoints. The more the better.

· I'd prefer something with a map database.

· I've heard about units that can interface with a PC and upload all your recorded data and routes and such. That would be nice.

· Monochrome screen is fine. I don't need any fancy colours. I actually think I'd prefer black and white.

· Battery life is important.

· Having good reception in heavily wooded areas is a big plus.

· I want one that will fit in my pocket, which most of them seem to do that.

Finally, here's the one I'm looking at on Amazon (After only viewing a couple, but like I said, I don't know what to look for.):

Garmin eTrex on Amazon.com (Clicky here)

Thanks in advance for your info/advice, it may be several hours inbetween chances I get to check on this post.

-CFM

Update: I may have found a better deal. Clicky Here

I am new to GPS systems and geocashing, expressed an interest to my wife and bless her soul she went out and bought a Magellan Maestro 4370 as a birthday gift.

Is anyone out there familiar with the unit? If so, what are your thoughts on using the 4370 for geocashing?

Thanks.

Silver lining consolation: at least you probably ensured that you would have it before the long Thanksgiving weekend (but yes, I feel your pain).

Thank you, Embra. I had not realized Thanksgiving was so close already. I will only have it for 3 days before I can use it over my 4-day weekend! :blink:

Also, Hottubdave, you might have better luck getting some help if you started your own post with the unit name in the subject.

I am new to both GPS technology and geocashing, however, expressed an interest to my wife on the subject and she bought a Magellan Maestro 4370 for my birthday.

Is anyone out there familiar with the unit? If so, do you recommend its use for geocashing?

I'm not the least bit familiar with that unit, but all I've read in here about Magellans, I'd take it back for refund immediately.

Then look at a number of recent threads, including this one, and do a proper product selection.

I don't know anything specific about the Maestro 4370, but the general concern with those kinds of GPS is that they don't allow for the input of waypoints. From what I can see on the Magellan product page, it looks like a fine GPS for street use but I saw no mention of waypoints. If you can't get them in, it would be unsuitable for geocaching.

The answer is mostly no, with some caveats. The Topo 7 software that comes with the PN's gives only US coverage. If one also buys Delorme's XMap software, then one can use their Street Atlas 2009 software which includes Canadian roads. XMap can also import scanned map images or map imagery available on the internet, which can then be exported to the PN-40.

So for anyone outside the US, there are options for getting non-US maps in...but it strikes me as easier to go with someone who provides Canadian coverage more directly.

I looked up Street Atlas...very reasonably priced, but if I understand you, it can't be loaded to the PN series, but could be cut out and edited with XMap and then loaded? If that is the case, how difficult would that be for a novice? I just want to geocache and know I am not on the wrong side of the river! I have a tomtom for navigating.

Actually, bringing the SA2009 data into XMap is a snap...and it will be vectorized, not rasterized. It's pretty much a matter of installing both programs and then telling XMap where to look for the SA data. (I haven't done it myself, so I may be slightly exaggerating, but I don't think it's much more than that.)

It's getting topo data in that's more complicated. Here is a thread in the Delorme forum with more information. For the free Canadian topo maps cited there, it would take a higher version of XMap than XMap Pro. But if you're content enough with the SA data, XMap Pro is available for half-price ($99 US) to PN-40 owners.

Edited by embra

I own and use a PN-20 for geocaching. The "paperless" funcionality is very limited due to the 800 character limit. Cache owners like to drone on and on in their cache descriptions and any useful info is usually at the end of the listing, so it doesn't show up on the PN-20. The issue is bad enough that I have had to return to using a pocket PC for cache descriptions. I don't know if that has been changed on the PN-40.

The only way to transfer waypoints to the unit is through Delorme's Topo USA or XMap software. Since I use GSAK for waypoint management, transfering to the PN-40 adds three more steps compaired to a single mouse click to transfer to a Garmin.

Well if you check out the Delorme blog (http://blog.delorme.com/) you will see that they are getting rid of the 800 character limit, have developed a widget that will enable you to load caches without having to load them into topo first. "Word on the streets" is that this firmware update/widget is supposed to be up and running by the holiday season for everyone to take advantage of their new xmas toys. (Anxiously awaiting my new pn-40 to arrive in the mail today!!!!!)

It's good to see they are working to make the PN-XX more geocaching friendly. It looks like the "wigit" will only replace the need to go through Topo with the need to go through the wigit. If the wigit can be controlled by an external program (GSAK or GPSBabel) then all will be very, very good! Delorme will have eliminated the two biggest complaints I have about the PN-20. The last complaint is that it's slow, which might be fixed with the PN-40.

Since my PN-20 has only been around for a short time, it'll be a while before it get's replaced with any brand...

Edited by Team Black-Cat

Just thought I'd let everyone know that my DeLorme PN-20 came in today! Well, Monday anyway... I'm second shift so early Tuesday is still Monday to me. I've only been playing around with the unit for a couple of hours now, so I'm basing everything I'm about to say on 2 hours experience.

First off, a small paragraph about the sale of my unit from TigerGPS.com. I bought my unit refurbished for about $160. It still has a FULL manufacturer's warranty, and is nearly $100 cheaper than new. The USB port on the back was slightly scuffed from light usage (Could have even been from testing in the factory), and there's a small blemish just off to the right side of the screen in the black area. That is totally worth saving nearly $100 right there.

This may not be fair to say, because my uncle's Garmin Vista is 5-6 years old, but this PN-20 unit blows it away every aspect save one: The Vista charted elevation changes and you could view this chart in real time on the unit. The topographical maps that come with this unit are amazing. The maps that I see on Garmin (Any model) sites don't touch the quality of the maps that came with Topo USA 7.0 (Bundled with my PN-20). This unit also apparently does satellite imagery, but I haven't figured that out yet either.

The program is a bit more complex than I had anticipated. It will probably take me a few weekends to really comprehend it, but I think it will be worth it. It seems to be a VERY powerful tool. I understand enough of it already to create my own map packs and transfer data to/from my PN-20 or my SD card via the reader that came bundled. Using the downloadable .LOC files to transfer cache locations to my PN-20 is a cinch, and tonly took me less than a minute to load 5 cache locations into my GPS and have them ready to seek out (I'm guessing this is what everyone means by "paperless" caching?).

I'm not sure how many of you can relate to this anology, but I'd like to compare GPS brands to computer operating systems for a moment. I think Garmin is to Windows as DeLorme is to Linux. Garmin, like Windows, is VERY commonplace, and relatively easier to use. The software (I'm going to speak from second hand experience and opinnions of collected over various internet sources on this one) is easier to use. A less tech-savvy person probably would be able to utilize the program quite well. DeLorme, like Linux, is more obscure, but much better. Not so much in the unit itself - The PN-20 is VERY intuitive to use - But more the program. As stated above, Topo USA seems to be a very powerful tool. But it is very complex, not unlike Adobe programs, which are reknowned for their quality of output, but are very complicated to utilize to their full potential. Luckily, programs come with help files, and you can also probably find instructional videos online as well (I haven't looked yet.)

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my purchase of this DeLorme PN-20. I'd like to thank Team CowboyPapa specifically for the recommendation and the link to this unit's buy page on TigerGPS, and thanks to everybody else who psted as well. I appreciate everyone's info, links, images, and opinnions.

-CFM

PS. My only complaint is that I can't afford to buy a PN-40 right now. ;)

The program is a bit more complex than I had anticipated. It will probably take me a few weekends to really comprehend it, but I think it will be worth it. It seems to be a VERY powerful tool. I understand enough of it already to create my own map packs and transfer data to/from my PN-20 or my SD card via the reader that came bundled. Using the downloadable .LOC files to transfer cache locations to my PN-20 is a cinch, and tonly took me less than a minute to load 5 cache locations into my GPS and have them ready to seek out (I'm guessing this is what everyone means by "paperless" caching?).

It is true that Topo7 has a lot more capabilities than the usual GPS map software, and also that there tends to be an inverse relationship between ease of use and power. I've had some version of Topo USA for years, and I'm still learning things to do with it...your analogy to Adobe (Photoshop certainly comes to mind) is a good one. Still, it's pretty easy to get the basics of map cutting, waypoint import, and GPS exchange down. Once you have the foundation, you can expand your use of the software as needed.

You won't have the full advantage of the paperless aspect until you start to import gpx files (which will require a paying membership at geocaching.com). The loc files have minimal information, but the gpx files include ratings, descriptions, hints, logs, etc.

So dive on in! Some don't like the T7 interface, but I find it works well once you get used to it. The help and tutorials are pretty good, but if you can't find an answer after making a reasonable effort to solve it yourself, ask away at the Delorme forum--there are lots of people happy to help. You also may want to take a look at the PN-20 Tips & Tricks thread in the forum...lots of useful knowledge nuggets there.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my purchase of this DeLorme PN-20. I'd like to thank Team CowboyPapa specifically for the recommendation and the link to this unit's buy page on TigerGPS, and thanks to everybody else who psted as well. I appreciate everyone's info, links, images, and opinnions.

-CFM

You are quite welcome. And I agree with Embra's advice concerning the Premium Membership and downloading the caches as GPX files. It is a tenfold enhancement of the paperless experience.