What a bonehead am I!

So today I was to go on a 2 day geocache trip in western Tennessee. I had my Palm and GPSr loaded for bear.

After my sixth find on my way to number seven I glanced on the passenger seat to eyeball my GPSr and it's not there! Then I see in my minds eye signing the last cache on my tonneau cover with my 2 year old eTrex Vista on the cover. I put the cache back and drove off only to have my faithful companion roll into a ditch or get run over.

I feel upset..my Vista and I logged a few miles together. She (yes she) deserved better.

I'm now in the market for a new GPSr any ideas? I am partial to Garmin.

Thanks.

So today I was to go on a 2 day geocache trip in western Tennessee. I had my Palm and GPSr loaded for bear.

After my sixth find on my way to number seven I glanced on the passenger seat to eyeball my GPSr and it's not there! Then I see in my minds eye signing the last cache on my tonneau cover with my 2 year old eTrex Vista on the cover. I put the cache back and drove off only to have my faithful companion roll into a ditch or get run over.

I feel upset..my Vista and I logged a few miles together. She (yes she) deserved better.

I'm now in the market for a new GPSr any ideas? I am partial to Garmin.

Thanks.

I feel for you, I lost mine (less than a year old -Garmin 60csx) on 10/18/08 on a cache and dash through a local park for an event. I had it clipped to my belt since my other team members had theirs, I realized it was gone at the very end and no such luck finding it on 3 different return walk throughs. I sold some geocoins and am currently looking at the Colorado 400t... Nothing like throwing $300.00 out the window.

SCB

If you loved the old Vista, why not just get a new one? The HCx has newer GPS technology and all the things you liked about your old one. They are much more reasonably priced than some of the other toys that will likely be suggested (Colorado, Oregon, 60CSx)... probably one factor in selecting your old Vista?

If you have reasons (wants/needs) not to just go get a new Vista, you could list the specifics so you could get some focused suggestions about alternatives.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

I lost my new $600 progressive, presciption glasses on a geo-hike a month ago. My husband and I have ridden our bikes back up that mountain twice, looking for them, searching under 8 miles of ferns and nurse-logs. Ugh. Nothing. So, I have these sleepless nights, thinking about those glasses...and these long days, reading students' writing, wishing I had glasses so that I could see...

I had it clipped to my belt

Belt clips are useful -- for convenience. For protecting my investment, I loop the lanyard through a belt loop or a D-ring near my belt line, so that when the thing falls out of the clip or when I walk away from from where I put it, the precious thing follows me like a gosling. The lanyard is short enough that it doesn't hit the ground, and I have an Invisible Shield for those times when it hits rocks.

Edward

Get a load of this: I got an email from a lady that found it!! She thought it was a cell phone but gave it to her young son who figured it was "one of those gps thingies".

I put my email address on the powerup screen so it must still works! I'll pick my baby up tomorrow.

Lost my 60CSx Saturday in the woods. I'm hopeing for a similer outcome, since my addy is also on the splash screen.

PP

I'm gradually getting out of the habit of going into shops only to see my Colorado still sitting in it's RAM mount on my bike when I emerge. I've probably used up all my spare luck already.

If you liked your eTrex vista, then you'll love your new eTrex Vista HCx.

Edited by gallet

Get a load of this: I got an email from a lady that found it!! She thought it was a cell phone but gave it to her young son who figured it was "one of those gps thingies".

I put my email address on the powerup screen so it must still works! I'll pick my baby up tomorrow.

Now that is a GREAT idea! I am going to check to see if I have a programmable front screen when I get home tonight. I've got phone numbers on the front screen of my Blackberry, but have never thought of seeing if my GPSr had that functionality.

Thanks!!!

I picked up my GPSr and all is right with the world. I bought the lady lunch and a $25 Kroger gift card so, obviously, I came out ahead.

What started as me relating a bad experience, then asking for input on a new GPSr turned into giving some people (I hope good) advice. I was lucky my GPSr survived the impact, lucky it was not run over and luck an honest person found it.

I picked up my GPSr and all is right with the world. I bought the lady lunch and a $25 Kroger gift card so, obviously, I came out ahead.

What started as me relating a bad experience, then asking for input on a new GPSr turned into giving some people (I hope good) advice. I was lucky my GPSr survived the impact, lucky it was not run over and luck an honest person found it.

I love a happy ending :laughing: