New To Geocoins

tnfishdaddy

I haven't been caching in about 3 years and am getting back into it. During this time, geocoins have seemed to explode. I was wondering why. I don't mean to sound like this is bad. I love to collect things and geocoins seem like a great collection to start. Those of you that collect, how does it work? Do you design and get your own and then start trading around for others or do most people find these in caches and keep them? I really want to start but not sure how to. There don't seem to be any in the caches around me. Thanks for any help.

I've only ever found one in a cache that was unactivated and placed for someone to find and keep. The rest I've either had gifted to me since participating in these forums, or purchased from one of the many vendors (see the pinned thread at the top of the forum).

From time to time -- maybe a couple times a week these days -- you'll see a post announcing a new geocoin. Just watch for these, and if one catches your fancy, follow the link and buy one. Or buy two and have one to trade with.

There are also cointests run on this forum. The winner to receive one or more coins from the original poster.

And yes, there are those who have minted their own coin for the purpose of trading. I still haven't minted a personal coin yet... maybe someday.

If you do decide to start collecting, may I welcome you to your new addiction! :anitongue:

I've only ever found one in a cache that was unactivated and placed for someone to find and keep. The rest I've either had gifted to me since participating in these forums, or purchased from one of the many vendors (see the pinned thread at the top of the forum).

From time to time -- maybe a couple times a week these days -- you'll see a post announcing a new geocoin. Just watch for these, and if one catches your fancy, follow the link and buy one. Or buy two and have one to trade with.

There are also cointests run on this forum. The winner to receive one or more coins from the original poster.

And yes, there are those who have minted their own coin for the purpose of trading. I still haven't minted a personal coin yet... maybe someday.

If you do decide to start collecting, may I welcome you to your new addiction! :anitongue:

Thanks for the reply. So the thing to do is buy them and start trading. I wasn't sure if I needed to design my own or not.

Trackable geocoins found in caches are meant to travel, just like travel bugs. They are not meant to be kept, unless the geocoin page states otherwise.

Non trackable geocoins found in caches are meant to be traded for, but you are expected to trade evenly. A geocoin generally costs from $8 - $12, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Geocoins be purchased through one of the approved vendors listed in the pinned information thread at the top of these forums, in the various sale threads in these forums, oron ebay. There is a trading thread pinned at the top for trading geocoins with other collectors, but not every email results in a trade made, they have to want what you are trading and vice versa.

You can also enter the many cointests in these forums to try and win a geocoin from one of the generous cointest holders. Cointests are labeled COINTEST: ...

There is no 12 Step Program, as yet, to get out of this addiction, so you have to first speak with your therapist, psychiatrist, or neighborhood bartender to make sure you can handle it. :anitongue::D:(:mad: :mad:

Welcome to the geocoin forums! And remember, budget your addiction!

And I just saw E&Cplus3's post, so I guess I'm not saying anything different, LOL.

What I recommend is that you buy as many as you can afford and then activate them and put them all into geocaches with little notes stating their mission and just watch the emails pour in as people find them and move them around. You will visit some very interesting places via your computer and you will meet some very interesting people on line. Of course eventually they will go missing, but when that happens just buy some more and repeat from the beginning. After awhile you won't really miss the ones that disappear. :anitongue: