Unity Geocoin

Savoy

I'm really excited about our first geocoin (I never thought I'd do one of these :laughing: ), so I'm going to share a bit before they become available. I know this kind of coin isn't for everybody, but I hope some of you will enjoy it.

Short name: Unity GeoCoin

Offical name: Unity in Heaven GeoCoin

General Description: 2" Square

The die art on this one is just beautiful (thank you CnPs!) . It will be available in antique bronze and antique silver.

In order below are antique, Cooper, Bronze, and Silver.

unitydragonacop650wp5.jpg

unitydragonabrz650gd6.jpg

unitydragonasil650ql5.jpg

THE STORY BEHIND THIS COIN:

For seven years we have lived as American expatriates in Sichuan, China doing humanitarian work. While I was there, my family and I had the privilege to put some of the first (and now, oldest) geocaches in the Country. Oh, the geo-stories we could tell! As we began to make our preparations to repatriate to the United States, the devastating Sichuan Earthquake of 2007 hit our beloved city, Chengdu. Though it was a great tragedy, I was impressed with how the Chinese people, the government, and organizations around the world unified, coming together to reach out to those whose lives where forever changed in an instant.

This coin commemorates the spirit that unifies the "west and east", and pays tribute the country that so blessed our lives.

Side A : The Chinese Dragon and Phoenix are ancient Chinese symbols whose origins can be traced back 7000 years. Deeply rooted into the Asian culture, as seen here, the celestial creatures are centered on the sun. The dragon, being the leader and the phoenix being the helper, balance each other in unity bring in prosperity to all.

The art for this side is drawn from traditional "community gate" blessing carvings seen in Sichuan, China even to this day. The art from which the die is drawn, is the authors (mine :anibad: ).

Side B : There is a European medieval belief in "Cathy", a place of shared belief and unity in faith where the Judeo-Christian God of the Old Testament and “Sheng Di” (God on High) of Ancient China stim from the same ideals. The text (in simplified characters) translates as follows: “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature. For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.”

The 'track at...' message, and number are stamped on the "B" side on the top boarder.

Edited by Savoy

The front of that coin is amazing. I love how the antique finish shows all the shadows of the recessed part. Great job!

Thanks... they worked REALLY hard at that effect.

There was a color version that we worked on for awhile, but the over-arching idea, was to give the 'old' or 'ancient' feel. In the end, we dropped the color for the 'shadow' effect on side A, and on the text of side B. I was suprised on how technically difficult this was to pull off! yet, very happy with the end result. Again, all the credit there goes to CnPs, but it took several months to come around to the final conclusion. I'm glad you liked it!

Very nice coin! Especially the side with the dragon and the phoenix look fantastic. And thanks for the story behind it.

Fantasties and I have been travelling in China in 2007 and spent a week in Chengdu. We loved our stay there and not just because of the pandas. It's a great city!

You have the oldest cache in China which I did last May in Chengdu at the Chengdu panda preserve. I also attempted (DNF) the Wolong cache while volunteering for a week at the Wolong Panda Preserve that was devastated by the earthquake.

Beautiful coin and I will definitely order some.

WOW! There only a hand-full of people in the world that can say that about the Chengdu Panda Preserve Cache!! The WoLong Cache was a fun one too, but I'm sure that the biulding near that cache is totally gone by now - the cache is of course, now archived. That whole area near Wolong is in need of a few new caches, espeically now that there is more geocaching activity on the mainland!

Interesting fact: Chengdu's Panda Research Center produces 90% of the world's preserved (zoo) Pandas.

Nice to meet you LadeBear68. and thanks for the encouragement on the coin! (Eventually) I hope it will bring you fond memories of your time spent in Chengdu and Wolong. When we arrived in Chengdu in 2000, they were still letting people hold the baby pandas... I have to admit, I did it :anitongue: - a memory I'll never forget!

Edited by Savoy
Offical name: Unity in Heaven GeoCoin

unitydragonacop650wp5.jpg

A beautiful coin !!

Is the copper version going to be your personal version? Will you be trading? If so, please put me on your list!!

OK, its confession time for me!

I'm so new to the GeoCoin things, that I'm not even sure what this question means :anitongue: I think there is going to be a full run made of each of the styles, but I haven't designated one more 'personal' over the other, or a limited run (small number) of a different finish - like copper. Should that have been something I asked about?

When my coins come and I get a chance to see how they accually do on the market, I'll set aside a number for trading. I'm happy to put you on my list :( Of course, I'll need to learn the netequette about that for when it comes time. All may trades have been in RL so far.

Thanks!

Edited by Savoy

Lovely coins but.... no antique copper? :anitongue: That one is the most beautiful! If it is the AE version, I'd love to trade for or buy one. :(

CF30

Looks like I may need to ask about that one... I just went with the suggestion on the finishes from PnCs. Thank you for the suggestion, and the complement! - Sav

I've edited the origial post to show all three finishes.

The 'new' picture of the antique Silver is 'this' one:

unitydragonasil650ql5.jpg

I'm not sure which of the three finishes look the best - but we are only planning for two finishes; I like the Silver and Cooper.

For those of you who like the coin, if you could only have two finishes, which would you prefer? Right now, PnC is suggesting Bronze and Silver.

Edited by Savoy

I like the copper, but would be very interested in the bronze one. On a visit to China, I went to a museum that had a selection of Chinese weaponry, including a complicated sword made up of several different versions of the bronze alloy - softer bronze in the center for a springier core, harder bronze (more tin) in the bronze on the edge for sharpness. To make a long story short, Chinese stuff made out of bronze resonates with me. :)

I'm not sure which of the three finishes look the best - but we are only planning for two finishes; I like the Silver and Cooper.

For those of you who like the coin, if you could only have two finishes, which would you prefer? Right now, PnC is suggesting Bronze and Silver.

Ooh! Tough call. I think y'all should do all three. I'd buy one of each. :unsure: But if you must do only two:

1. Ant Copper

2. Ant Bronze

3. Ant Silver

CF30

About your metal choices... have you actually seen the samples yet? Pictures often look much different that the real thing...

From the pictures, I like :

1. Antique Copper

2. Antique Bronze

3. Antique Silver

This is a beautiful coin regardless of the metals you choose. Well done!!!!!

I look forward to trading with you!!

About your metal choices... have you actually seen the samples yet? Pictures often look much different that the real thing...

...This is a beautiful coin regardless of the metals you choose. Well done!!!!!

Actually, no. I'm living in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro) now. Getting things to and from the states is a HUGE hassle. I'm not even going to try. I'm not even sure how I'm going to get my coins here when its time!

The irony is, most of you will see these little guys before I do! I'll be in the States in December, but unfortunately, they wont be ready by then. It may be Feb. before I get them here (I'm actually gong 'up there' to pick them up myself).

So... I'm doing this all 'sight-unseen' but I have complete confidence in CnP to watch out for me - esp. given my circumstance.

Edited by Savoy

My preference for finishes is also

1. antique copper

2. antique bronze

3. antique silver

This is a little surprising, as I amost always prefer the silver / nickel version of any geocoin.

It's hard to give a compliment that hasn't already been given. You and CnP did a fantastic job with this design. If you're building a list of people who would like to trade, please add GeoKs to the list of names.

again, this is truly an amazing coin.

PLEASE make ALL three finishes.

I now know what I'm getting all the folks who went with me to China for Christmas (yeah, it'll be a late present, but... SO COOL!!!)

Thanks to all for the compliments on the coin! I'll be passing them on the the die artist too.

I'll let PnCs know about the overwhelming interest in ant.copper.

I'm getting to the point where I like the ant.silver more and more - it reminds me of A LOT of the 'real' old art I've seen while in China; but (as noted by a few posters), its hard not to like the gold/bronze for the same reason; and then, the ant. cooper just has such deep contrast and richness.

There is 'rusted bronze' that is the most common color/effect seen in Chinese relics. I'll see if I can find an example from my photo gallery for that. Someday, it would cool to try a Asian-design based on it.

again, this is truly an amazing coin.

PLEASE make ALL three finishes.

I now know what I'm getting all the folks who went with me to China for Christmas (yeah, it'll be a late present, but... SO COOL!!!)

Thanks to all for the compliments on the coin! I'll be passing them on the the die artist too.

I'll let PnCs know about the overwhelming interest in ant.copper.

I'm getting to the point where I like the ant.silver more and more - it reminds me of A LOT of the 'real' old art I've seen while in China; but (as noted by a few posters), its hard not to like the gold/bronze for the same reason; and then, the ant. cooper just has such deep contrast and richness.

There is 'rusted bronze' that is the most common color/effect seen in Chinese relics. I'll see if I can find an example from my photo gallery for that. Someday, it would cool to try a Asian-design based on it.

If you get a few done in bronze you can strip the clear enamel easily enough and try one of the recipes here for adding that patina you're looking for... http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

If you get a few done in bronze you can strip the clear enamel easily enough and try one of the recipes here for adding that patina you're looking for... http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

GREAT resource... WOW. I'm something of a biochemist, so OF COURSE I've got to try some of these out. Anyone else have some examples of how a few of those worked out? I think the 'blue-green' might be the first one to try out on this particular coin - when it comes time :D

Thanks for that link - very cool! - Sav

Edited by Savoy

Beautiful and meaningful, congrats!

tsun

Thanks for the complement on the design!

(I believe you may be 'the EarthTurtle Geocoin lady' from Montana!? I'm a Big Sky native myself, being born in Great Falls, but I started my family in the Dillon/Wisdom area. Nice to meet you!)

Our preference for finishes are

1. antique copper

2. antique bronze

3. antique silver

Beautiful coins congratulations!

Thank you on the complement :laughing:

The Cooper seems to be a favorite, I'm going to ask that we figure out a way to make it happen even as an Artists or Limited Ed. It seems like this is a common practice.

I'm trying to think where else to post info. on the coin so geocoin folks can hear about it... I've noticed a lot of folks have a 'geocoin' collection website in their sigs. I'll check a few of those out in hopes to spread word about the UiH geocoin.

Take care! Savit

Edited by Savoy

Our preference for finishes are

1. antique copper

2. antique bronze

3. antique silver

Beautiful coins congratulations!

Thank you on the complement :laughing:

The Cooper seems to be a favorite, I'm going to ask that we figure out a way to make it happen even as an Artists or Limited Ed. It seems like this is a common practice.

I'm trying to think where else to post info. on the coin so geocoin folks can hear about it... I've noticed a lot of folks have a 'geocoin' collection website in their sigs. I'll check a few of those out in hopes to spread word about the UiH geocoin.

Take care! Savit

Glad to hear it! You'll probably want to make an LE though since an AE would be the ones you give to CnP for their excellent work! :laughing:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

LadeBear68 -

beautiful coin, nice to read the story behind it.......when will it be up on C&P's???

Thanks!!!!

The last word I got on that was December 15th, shipping will be just after Christmas.

I'm looking forward to it too. I'm going to buy some of my own and a set of these too :laughing:

Edited by scavok