Don't upgrade your Garmin Vista HCx to ver. 2.80

goreo95033

Hi all -

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Greg, and I'm a fairly new geocacher, I'm totally hooked, and got my wife and kids hooked too.

I love my little Vista HCx, though I loved it more before I upgraded its firmware. It used to have a great built-in function for marking caches as "found", it would log the date the cache was found, and then proceed to navigate you to the next closest cache relative to your position.

For some odd-ball reason, Garmin as replaced the "found" button with a "delete" button in the geocache screen.

Anyway, I hope I can save some other Vista HCx user some frustration before they head out on the trail. Avoid firmware version 2.80.

--Greg

Edited by goreo95033

Hi all -

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Greg, and I'm a fairly new geocacher, I'm totally hooked, and got my wife and kids hooked too.

I love my little Vista HCx, though I loved it more before I upgraded its firmware. It used to have a great built-in function for marking caches as "found", it would log the date the cache was found, and then proceed to navigate you to the next closest cache relative to your position.

For some odd-ball reason, Garmin as replaced the "found" button with a "delete" button in the geocache screen.

Anyway, I hope I can save some other Vista HCx user some frustration before they head out on the trail. Avoid firmware version 2.80.

--Greg

The "found" button is still there. It's on the Compass page. The "delete" button is on the information page. I think that's the way it worked before version 2.80.

The "found" button is still there. It's on the Compass page. The "delete" button is on the information page. I think that's the way it worked before version 2.80.

Yeah, I don't think anything has changed.

When you first pull up a geocache using the "Find" function, you get the cache's listing screen, which gives you the options of "Delete" (to delete the cache from your list of waypoints, whether you have found it or not), "Map" (to view the location of the cache on the map screen), or "Go To" (to navigate to the cache). You select "Go To" to navigate to the selected geocache.

Then on the "Compass" screen, you get the options of "Found" (to change it from unfound to found status), "Note" (to view the attached note, if any), and "Stop" (to stop navigating to the cache before finding it).

Hope this helps!

Edited by julianh
Don't upgrade your Garmin Vista HCx to ver. 2.80, Hobbles the geocaching funtionality

Sorry buddy but I think you're wrong about the functionality changing. The cache functions he same for me as always. I have been running 2.80/2.80 since it came out and as far as I am concerned it the version that Garmin has released to data for the Vista HCx. I used mine elk hunting a few weeks ago and it worked great with all my tracks showing up within 30 ft or less accuracy when I check them against the NAP04 overlay of the area. Compared to the previous versions I would strongly recommend 2.80/2.80 over any of the other versions.

:anibad: Doh!!!

Yeah, I think I figured out why my "found" button vanished: Under setup, routing, the guidance method was changed to "follow road". Once I changed it back to "off road", my buttons on the compass came back.

That's embarrassing... :laughing: Pardon me while I go pull this foot out of my pie hole.