moving caches you find

cb12374

If the original CO didn't hide it properly then I always rehide it in a better spot.

Ummm, just kidding.... :laughing::anibad::rolleyes:

Glad you're kidding. There's a guy in our area who actually says in his logs, "Found the cache and moved it a few feet to a better hiding spot." I haven't had that happen, but I'd prefer it over the theft of my ammo cans!

I call it cache migration.

One of mine regularly "moves" about 20 feet from where I hid it. I see logs like "moved it back to where description said it should be" or " moved it to better spot" or "find this last year and moved it back where it should be".

................sigh.....................

Put it back and move on with life. Did the finder mention WHY they moved it?

They may have actually moved it back to it's original location after a previous finder moved it (but didn't log that they did so). I've also found a few caches that appeared to have been moved by non-cachers (an ammo can tossed out in the open 40-50' from the described hiding spot.

On more than a few instances I've found caches which have obviously been moved from the original hiding spot. In the case of small containers it's often obvious it was moved by a small animal.

I only had hidden 3 caches until recently. Last Friday while checking out the possible site of a new cache, I decided to check on a cache that I had placed a while ago. I found that it had been moved about two feet. No one ever owned up to moving it or stated why they felt they needed to move it. My wife and I recently found a cache 21 feet from where my GPSr showed it. I don't know if my GPSr (Garmin Etrex Venture HC) is that far off, if the CO's GPSr is that far off or if someone moved it? While looking for a cache in a unique hide, my wife found a piece of velcro attached to an object. When we finally located the cache, it was covered with the fuzzy side of velcro and was a good 20 feet from the place where we found the hook side of the velcro. I don't know if cachers get so caught up in finding the cache, that they forget were they found it or if they move them to where their GPSrs show the coordinates to be? :laughing:

Unless there is a very good reason (e.g. the hiding spot is no more) caches shouldn't be moved.

I think a lot of cache movement comes from non human sources. Animals pushing out a cache that is blocking their burrow, or rain or wind moving it.

Another source is when a group of people find the cache and the person who re-hides it isn't the same as the one who found it. I know I've been on group hunts where I was left with the responsibility of putting the cache back and the person who actually found it has already moved on. In that case I use my best guess.

And of course there are the busybodies who know better than the original hider the best place to hide it. I don't think there are a lot of them though.

Unless there is a very good reason (e.g. the hiding spot is no more) caches shouldn't be moved.

I think a lot of cache movement comes from non human sources. Animals pushing out a cache that is blocking their burrow, or rain or wind moving it.

Another source is when a group of people find the cache and the person who re-hides it isn't the same as the one who found it. I know I've been on group hunts where I was left with the responsibility of putting the cache back and the person who actually found it has already moved on. In that case I use my best guess.

And of course there are the busybodies who know better than the original hider the best place to hide it. I don't think there are a lot of them though.

I've always thought there are some geocachers that believe their GPS is always right therefore if they feel the coords are off, they would move the cache to where there GPS said it "should" be. I've seen cache migration happen while group caching. I watched a cache go from ground level to a tree branch because they last finder didn't know where the cache came from. A few of the earlier finders spotted the mistake, and the cache was replaced where it was supposed to be.

On a few occasion i've found caches where the hiding spot did not match the hint, or the description. In these instances, i've mentioned the discrepancy in my log.

Some caches migrate because of the nature of their hiding spot. Example.. a small box under a rock in a large pile of rocks.. people grab it, retreat to a comfortable spot to look through it and sign the log.. then look back at the rock pile area and are not sure of exactly where it was. Multiply that by a hundred finders and the cache can move several feet.

PS. this comment is not made in an attempt to justify cache movement. I feel the cache owner, for better or for worse has the right to place his cache where he wants and the rest of us can applaud it, ignore it, complain about it or whatever.. but not move it.

Edited by edscott

Not sure if it's quite the same...but I have one hidden in the crux of a tree that I walk past on an almost daily basis, after several of the finds I've found it laying on the sidewalk near the tree. I've yet to find it totally back in place (It wedges in behind a small branch so that it blends in with the tree) after a find, but the ones that toss it on the sidewalk kinda irk me. If it wasn't somewhere that I see it all the time, I'm sure it would have disappeared after the first couple of finds.

I have another one that also sits in the crux of a tree...I went back after the first find and found it tossed in a drainage pond nearby...the most recent log (A DNF) has me thinking it's back in the water again. If I can find it, I'll probably tether it to the tree this time.

The only one I've moved after finding it was one that I took home. It was a glass bottle that was supposed to be hanging in a telephone pole (in a metal thing on the side)...after almost DNFing it myself...I found a baggie full of broken glass and bits of a log sheet in a bush next to the pole. I posted a SBA in stead of a NM because there was nothing left there to find and didn't want anyone else to go looking for something that wasn't there (still not sure if I made the right call on that one). I emailed the CO as soon as I got home explaining what happened.

I understand the group thing where the put back person isn't the same as the found it person...but in general it just seems like laziness when a cache doesn't get put back where it belongs. Even if the coordinates are 70' off I'll still put it back where I found it and just note the discrepancy in my log.

If someone in my area consistantly 'moved' caches around here, I'd probably form a possee. Attach a GPS trackinig chip to their car. Have said possee follow them discretely. And when they were away from their car, we'd move their car to somoewhere that they couldn't find it, but we'd leave then information on how to use the GPS tracking chip.

Just an idle fantasy.

But nobody should move anyones cache for any reason, unless it's obviously accidently left out in the open somewhere where being in the open is not what the cache hider wanted. If it were my cache that was moved, I'd delete their find log. That might turn them in to intentional mugglers, but it would probably get them to post nasty things in the forums too.

We've found caches that have clearly moved a little bit from their hiding spots. There might be a hole in a tree with the tell-tale pile of sticks fallen and spread out a bit, but the cache is sitting exposed a foot from the hole. In that case, I'll put it back in the hole and cover it with the sticks, but I'll also email the owner and tell them what I did. I think animals sometimes move caches a bit, especially if they haven't been found for awhile.

I found a baggie full of broken glass and bits of a log sheet in a bush next to the pole. I posted a SBA in stead of a NM because there was nothing left there to find

A missing or broken container should be logged as a NM, not as a SBA. Your NM log would alert others the cache may not be there to find. The cache owner can then go and replace or repair the cache. (Or decide to archive it.) :laughing::anibad:

As a Family we are new to Geocaching , but not new to the game we have played in the past with friends . We where in the Box Canyon area in the Superstition mountians, we found 8 caches and we where looking for the 9, the points where simple, on the East side of the creek under a tree. The spot only had about 2 dozen trees and some brush, we looked for an hour for it ( didnt want to stike out.) it simply was gone . it was a ammo box . That made us ask that question too and does it happen a lot ,I can see in town by muggles but by a fellow cacher?

Put it back and move on with life. Did the finder mention WHY they moved it?

They may have actually moved it back to it's original location after a previous finder moved it (but didn't log that they did so). I've also found a few caches that appeared to have been moved by non-cachers (an ammo can tossed out in the open 40-50' from the described hiding spot.

On more than a few instances I've found caches which have obviously been moved from the original hiding spot. In the case of small containers it's often obvious it was moved by a small animal.

When it's obvious I dont have a problem moving it back to where it was. The only time that theory was twarted was when a letterbox was exactly where the cache said it was supposed to be. By apperances the letterboxer tossed the cache into the weeds, then put a condesencing note about not signing their letterbox because it's not a cache in their letterbox.