New at all this...did I buy the right GPS?

BrendaK2000

My boyfriend and I have talked for a while about Geocaching but didn't own a GPS. Today I went out and bought him a Garmin Etrex Legend for Christmas....I'm pretty sure this is good enough for Geocaching (we do live in the middle of the Rocky mountains so I'm hoping it'll be fine for picking up sattelites in wooded areas) but my real question is this....

He is an avid fisherman...will this be good for him to use while fishing as well? Also, can you use a portable GPS for getting directions in your car...addresses and stuff or is it pretty useless for that?

As you can tell I'm pretty darn clueless on just how these things work and I probably need a GPS for Dummies site <_< Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

I can't answer your questions, but I want to follow this thread because I recntly purchased the same GPS and I am trying to learn how to use it. Yesterday, I put it in my pocket while searching and when I took it out again the screen was blue. I can barely see the screen because of this blue overlay. What happened? I can't get it to go away.

I can't answer your questions, but I want to follow this thread because I recntly purchased the same GPS and I am trying to learn how to use it. Yesterday, I put it in my pocket while searching and when I took it out again the screen was blue. I can barely see the screen because of this blue overlay. What happened? I can't get it to go away.

My boyfriend and I have talked for a while about Geocaching but didn't own a GPS. Today I went out and bought him a Garmin Etrex Legend for Christmas....I'm pretty sure this is good enough for Geocaching (we do live in the middle of the Rocky mountains so I'm hoping it'll be fine for picking up sattelites in wooded areas) but my real question is this....

He is an avid fisherman...will this be good for him to use while fishing as well? Also, can you use a portable GPS for getting directions in your car...addresses and stuff or is it pretty useless for that?

As you can tell I'm pretty darn clueless on just how these things work and I probably need a GPS for Dummies site <_< Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Geocaching: That unit will work for geocaching. You can connect it to your computer to mass-download waypoints, which is even better. Did you get the base Legend (blue, monochrome screen) or the Legend HCx (grey, color screen)? The base unit does not have a high-sensitivity receiver, so you *might* have reception issues in narrow canyons.

Fishing: The Legend does not float (the GPSMap 76 does, but it's much more expensive). It does include a "hunt/fish" calender (basically a moon phase calendar). He can use it to mark waypoints at his super-secret fishing holes.

Car navigation: The base Legend does NOT do turn-by-turn auto routing. The HCx can do this if you purchase additional maps (City Navigator). While some hand-held units can to auto routing, none of them will do it as well as a unit designed for this task (Garmin Nuvi or TomTom).

Edit: I have no idea what the blue screen is.

Edited by J-Way