Which skills can be learned

Followers 1

Hi everybody,

I am student of geography and education in Germany and

wondering what skills can be transmitted to the kids through

geocaching and what previous knowledge is needed to do so?

One thing is teaching orientation, learning about the coordinate system,

social skills etc. But ist there more?

Thanks

Marcel

What I've learned through geocaching: I have learned a LOT of history about where I live by visiting cache sites. Both virtual & traditional caches have brought me knowledge of where I live.

Using Earthcache students can learn about geology & geography.

Find puzzle caches & you are having students do math as they cache. Or create your own. I had no clue what longitude/latitude were and why they were important until I started caching.

Map skills can be integrated easily (this is a skill I find used less & less). I have found myself pulling out the map to find my way home after an extreme day of caching! And while not a "map" skill, just figuring out how to get to some of these caches is invaluable.

Students can log about their experiences - give them a set of vocabulary words to use & you will increase their verbal skills.

You can use the GPS system as a tool to get students engaged in their learning, even if it has nothing to do with caching itself. Hide their math worksheet & let them find it with their GPS. Finish the math & you can go find your spelling - how exciting that can be with a GPS when it is not that interesting inside a standard 4-wall classroom.

* reinforcing spatial awareness

* making and testing predictions

* estimating distances

* following multi step directions (ordinal awareness)

* dexterity (punching in coordinates)

* map reading

* writing clear responses to a prompt (logging)

* research writing (if they make their own cache pages--even if they are only for practice)

* reinforcing spatial awareness

* making and testing predictions

* estimating distances

* following multi step directions (ordinal awareness)

* dexterity (punching in coordinates)

* map reading

* writing clear responses to a prompt (logging)

* research writing (if they make their own cache pages--even if they are only for practice)

I am surprised nobody has mentioned just making people more observant of things that may be out of place.

If geocaching is done in a group requiring shared use of the GPS, then there are certain social skills that can be acquired or honed:

Learning to work with others and share equipment

Flexibility and listening to the opinions of others

Learning to interpret information in different ways

Assuming various roles in a team environment

and probably others, too.

When my husband and I attempted to share a GPS, we were able to add "preparation for divorce court" to the list of skills. :laughing:

Followers 1