Garmin vs DeLorme

dkzae

Max, I think Slim is starting to rub off on ya, dadgumit ;):unsure:.

Yeah, I can't wait for the geocaching widget to come out. Chip has put a lot of work into it (presuming this is his baby). On that thought, the other great thing about DeLorme is the customer service - the best out there.

Edited by benjamin921

The only thing holding me back is not having a promise from Delorme that they won't come out with a new & improved unit in less than a year. I hate to buy something or receive it as a gift (my Garmin 70CS) and have them come out with the better unit less than 6 months later (70CSx)...

If they told me that there won't be a newer model out for the next 2 years - I'd be on the "order now" button so fast your head would spin. I'm pretty much sold on the Delorme unit from reading all of the comments here - just a bit worried about the screen size & my over 40 y.o. eyes.

Hey TotemLake - I can beta test that unit for ya while your leg is in that cast - what, 6 weeks?!! Oh yeah.... :laughing::rolleyes:

One more thing - looks like J&R is outta stock, but Tiger GPS has some in stock & offers Guaranteed Lowest Prices. Of course, the rebate doesn't apply to either :D

The only thing holding me back is not having a promise from Delorme that they won't come out with a new & improved unit in less than a year. I hate to buy something or receive it as a gift (my Garmin 70CS) and have them come out with the better unit less than 6 months later (70CSx)...

Previous product cycles are the best indication. DeLorme is a very small company; they don't have the manpower to be working on 2 new units simultaneously (which they'd have to be doing to release another unit in a few months; it would have had to be started while the PN-40 was in development).

If they told me that there won't be a newer model out for the next 2 years - I'd be on the "order now" button so fast your head would spin.
A new unit doesn't immediately make your unit non-functional. You don't have to have the latest & greatest all the time. If you like the unit, just get it! Just like with computers - you can sit in analysis paralysis for years saying "yeah, but there'll be a new one in 6 months, I'll just wait" and end up never buying anything.

just posted this on Delorme forum:

After a couple of days, a few notes from a Garmin 60-CSx user:

Accuracy - impressive. Walking with the hi-res photos, it was putting me VERY close to my actual position, even on a sidewalk a few feet wide.

Performance in difficult conditions - in first floor of my two floor home, the Garmin outperformed it by a large margin. This makes me worry some about performance under tree cover.

Screen size - this could be real barrier for me. Especially with the raster USGS topo maps, it is not nearly as pleasurable to use, esp when compared with a Colorado.

Interface - I've had no connection problems. It is slow going, even when connected to an SD card (part of this may be that I'm reading the maps from the DVD). I don't like the size limitations where you are able to DL so few maps at a time - very tedious.

Topo 7 - some learning curve, but powerful. Runs sluggishly on Windows XP run via bootcamp on an 2 and a half year old imac.

Map space - these things are HUGE! realistically you are going to pre-plan your trips - it would be nice if it could hold a wide area (but I know with raster data there is no way around it).

Screen draw - impressive - map kept up smoothly while driving using hi-res imagery

General interface - just not as pretty as what Garmin does.

--------------

Impressive. If I had the $$$, I would keep both. Right now I may have to wait on the next iteration.

I might be the lone dissenter here, and I'm not really dissenting, more fussy about one or two things...I actually quite like the unit. Also probably premature before seeing the caching update but I reurned my unit to REI last night. I get the fact it's a "serious tool" and it is, but I missed the all-in-oneness of the "X" garmin units / CO / OR + City Navigator with minimum fuss and muss to set up.

I'm quite a spontaneous cacher over quite a large distance, and one of the main selling points of this unit, the imagery and amazing topo maps, is a pain in the bum to 1. learn how to manipulate .. and once figured out, 2. takes a large amount of prep work to get a good coverage. I gave it 3 days to get used to the process, including a whole day yesterday...but it's too fiddly for me and simply took the fun out of prepping for a cache run. As they say, "hikers like to do it nice and slow".. I also like the quickies after a long drive :rolleyes:. This is purely a personal choice for me ... I cache in new areas often; if i cant have the imagery I lose one of the unique points of this unit. I'm simply not prepared to invest the time before each distant run like that. I spend enough time figuring out which caches to go for.

Topo7 is a very powerful piece of software and gives you great flexibilty..the pre-cut regional DVD maps are a GREAT idea, but people will buy this unit for the extra mapping / imagery....and I was already imagining a large number of cachers throwing their hands up in despair and calling me up. Read the manual. Print out the relevant pdf tutorials and take your time. Topo7 is not KISS, and I foresee a lot of cachers will be deterred from the unit because of this.

The other main attraction of the PN-40 is paperless caching, which is almost there (block of text for each cache with 800 character max at the moment..) and will be much better with the new updates (no limit on text, field notes, found / unfound etc etc). Sounds awesome. Ideally the devs will allow direct integration with GSAK (via the new Cache Register or not). Just using direct PQ data will not cut it with a lot of cachers, but my feeling is that Delorme will understand this. They really do seem to listen.

Waypoint management is good, the ability to add more than one draw layer of them is a great idea e.g. a layer of "found caches', a layer of "evil micros" for example. If they can be recognized as "caches" under the new updated geoaching mode, that becomes a VERY powerful and new tool for cachers.

My second main beef which really is unfair to the unit, as it's not it's primary function which is truly a "backwoods" device, lies with the road routing.. auto routing is poor and slower than even the "X" garmin units (for which they aren't actually designed for either) and fiddly to set up but powerful (threshold distance for "off course etc"). No popups for upcoming turns as the Garmin "X" units have. Most of the roads around me were labeled with their "State Road number" prefixing the street name which became old very quickly. The distance during navigation was often off, I was often on the ramp before i got the "turn beep"....which is amazingly quiet.

"So go buy a dedicated GPS car unit!" I hear you cry. Why should I? That increases fiddle factor, I love being able to auto-route between caches on a pre-planned route and hit off-road mode as I pull close. I can do that with pre-existing handheld units, which can handle the bit between caches better.

Transition between on road and off road was fiddly (OK, I'm at the parking, now take me off road) but on par with the Garmin "X" units. The Garmin Oregon profile system (Geoaching <-> Automotive profile) got that right.

The base set of POI on the PN-40 / Topo 7 is "OK" but paled in comparison with the City Navigator POI set in my area (OK, which are not free, but at least they are available). You can build up your own set, say using POIFactory sets but that's not really the same unless you really do only eat at one or two restaurant chains or get gas from one or two chains :laughing:. And prep time is already very slow with this unit.

The screen is very nice for the size, hi-res and gorgeously bright. It is still small though, and although I stuck up for it in conversation with people who went "wow, that's small", it def feels a step back after the OR / 60 real-estate wise. Build quality is ho hum, it feels and looks a little like a toy. Lots of button pushes required, def test those out before you buy. They have a unique feel. Orange is a nice color to have as a GPS, makes it harder to lose on the forest floor.

All in all, great unit. It has the regular set of pages you'll expect from a GPS. Nice level of control over the function. The hardware is good, it's a fast unit, potential to be a great cacher tool with the new updates...hopefully even a "serious caching tool" :D The Delorme support appears to be top notch, a rabid fan community, and even a responsive dev that appears to cache! The steep learning curve might deter some, but once you "get it" it will be faster. If you cache locally or with very infrequent well-planned trips, and you have time, the extra imagery / mapping will be useful. For me, the checks in the "con" column built up and it's not for me right now. I like having a simple, all-in-one unit with little prep time, I can get the paperless by other means. I've still yet to find an all-in-one new caching unit. The Oregon also came close..but let itself down.

if you buy from Delorme direct, they offer a 30-day no questions return period. REI is generous in their return policy, too.

Just as a matter of point, we offer that 30-day no questions (even if you've installed the software) return policy regardless of where you've purchased the unit. Same goes for all DeLorme products. Buy it anywhere, return it to DeLorme, no problem.

-Brian

if you buy from Delorme direct, they offer a 30-day no questions return period. REI is generous in their return policy, too.

Just as a matter of point, we offer that 30-day no questions (even if you've installed the software) return policy regardless of where you've purchased the unit. Same goes for all DeLorme products. Buy it anywhere, return it to DeLorme, no problem.

-Brian

Just one more reason I'm glad I purchased the PN-40. Delorme has the right Idea, bend over backwards for the customers and get repeat business. Garmin has become too secure in their position of "Top GPSRr Manufacturer". Tech support isn't great and they release many substandard GPSr's.

Thanks for the correction, Brian...I figured I was safer understating the return policy than overstating it if I wasn't certain.

Maingray...I find your comments fair and reasoned. Any disagreement I have you is purely of a subjective matter...by nature, I think I enjoy the preparation and the messing with gadgets a lot. Glad you gave it a spin.

I concur twolpert , I was looking for objective input and it seems I'm getting it. Cachers have there boots on the ground and there head under the canopy with a handheld where it belongs. Keep the Cuisinart vs Mr.coffee, Coke vs Pepsi dialog going. It will benefit us, DeLorme, & most importantly & hopefully GARMIN [cause it doesn't seem like they have there ears on.]

Tnx BL.....

Thanks for the constructive review Maingray! I appreciate how you didn't just 'dis' the unit, but pointed out how it just wasn't the right unit for you and your needs. I still want one though! (Santa, are you listening?) Like you pointed out, I think the software will be a bit overwhelming for me and take a while to learn, but I also realize it can do a lot more, so I'm willing to take the time and learn it. I had the chance to handle one for a bit when one of the reps was in the area. I was concerned about the smaller screen size when I first heard about it, but after playing with it I realized I didn't even notice the size. The screen gave a nice clean crisp picture. I thought the buttons we're a nice size too, very easy to handle. The unit does look like a toy, no getting around that ;-) But as long as it's rugged and does what it's supposed to, I can overlook that. Like you pointed out, the orange will make it hard to loose!

I don't have one (yet), but my advice to anyone who's concerned about the screen size or whatever, I'd suggest going to the local store and handling one and see how you feel about it then.

I have been using a Magellan Meridian for some time. I'm ready to spend $$ for a new, better unit. The Delorme 20 looked like it would be great, but the screen is tiny! The 'gold standard' Garmin 60csx has a screen larger than the PN-20 but still smaller than my old Magellan. While I applaud Delorme for the upgrades in the PN-40, I'm extremely disappointed with the same, tiny screen. Come on, even cameras have a three inch screen these days. I'd pay some extra dollars for a screen I can see.

Don't judge the screen by it's size alone. You know what I've noticed a lot? People who own the Garmin Oregon complain about the screen being hard to read outdoors in sunlight, while people who have never held a PN-xx complain about it having a small screen, while I have yet to hear a PN-xx owner complain about the screen (myself included). It's a really nice screen, you should go eyeball a unit that's powered on, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

I was a Garmin user (5 years- eTrex, 60CS, 60CSX) and am now happy PN40 user, and I just don't see a problem with the screen. I'm on the (very) high side of 40 with reading glasses in my day pack, but I have not had any trouble with the PN40 images. I think that the more important issue is what a manufacturer does with the screen they have.

My 60CSX screen was bigger, but when I turn them on side by side, Garmin uses headers and other graphic elements that take up screen space. The map image is about the same on both, and easier to read on the PN due to better contrast.

Colorados and Oregons have a nice size screen (though very hard to read in sunlight) but again often clutter the screen with graphics and very poor contrast on nearly everything.

I'm sure there will be larger screen PNs some day but for now I'll take the small screen with the good content.

The local REI finally got a PN-40, which I played with on Saturday. Although I obviously have not used the unit in the field, it did not appear to me that screen size would be an issue. I too am an old geezer who keeps the reading glasses handy. I had no trouble with setup or map screens. Took the unit outside. It's much better than the Colorado in direct sunlight and in the shade (less need for the backlight and no need to orient the unit relative the light source, although the screen is shiny and somewhat prone to reflections). Indoors or in dark conditions, the backlighting is good. Although it may be matter of the color scheme (or lack thereof), the screen appears to have excellent natural contrast.

First time out of the box, acquired satellites quickly once outside the store. Did not time it though.

Coming from Colorado-land, I am also impressed with the waterproof design -- screws on the battery compartment and a unique USB connector which does not require a cover (but does require a unique cable). Garmin used to build 'em like this.

just posted this on Delorme forum:

After a couple of days, a few notes from a Garmin 60-CSx user:

Accuracy - impressive. Walking with the hi-res photos, it was putting me VERY close to my actual position, even on a sidewalk a few feet wide.

Performance in difficult conditions - in first floor of my two floor home, the Garmin outperformed it by a large margin. This makes me worry some about performance under tree cover.

Screen size - this could be real barrier for me. Especially with the raster USGS topo maps, it is not nearly as pleasurable to use, esp when compared with a Colorado.

Interface - I've had no connection problems. It is slow going, even when connected to an SD card (part of this may be that I'm reading the maps from the DVD). I don't like the size limitations where you are able to DL so few maps at a time - very tedious.

Topo 7 - some learning curve, but powerful. Runs sluggishly on Windows XP run via bootcamp on an 2 and a half year old imac.

Map space - these things are HUGE! realistically you are going to pre-plan your trips - it would be nice if it could hold a wide area (but I know with raster data there is no way around it).

Screen draw - impressive - map kept up smoothly while driving using hi-res imagery

General interface - just not as pretty as what Garmin does.

--------------

Impressive. If I had the $$$, I would keep both. Right now I may have to wait on the next iteration.

I have the PN 20 and 40 as well as the 60cx. I would agree that my 60cx is a better road router but regarding the toy like impression of the PN's, I too had that inclination but after using the PN 20 for over a year, that thought has completely disappeared. In fact I have more problems with the 60cx; first with the on/off button not always working and the scroll wheel sometimes doesn't respond to the left or right when inputting letters and numbers. The PN buttons have remained crisp and solid as well as the scrolling wheel.

One thing about road routing; a mistake that people make, afaik, is they select a route of a known set of roads and if the GPS routes them some other way then the assumption is made that somehow the device doesn't route well. However, if you route to an uknown location and you get there successfully, then the device is a great router.

My two cents worth.

I'm oudda' here! :santa:

Just be back soon! ;)

I got to play a little bit today. Got my state map loaded. Took a few tries to get my laptop to recognize the pn40 but eventually worked. Then it showed me sitting in my house watching Universe. Ok, not really.

This is such a leap forward from my ancient etrex I am giddy with delight. My 6 yr old is anxious to get my etrex so she has an arrow to follow too. :-)

Got the Topo 7 software loaded today. Imported the LOC fine but took me almost an hour to get it transferred to my PN40. I think the instructions in the manual skips a few details in the steps. But I got it in there! Next step is to work on changing the map view so I can see those cool aerial views and then to work out auto routing and all the other cools things this baby an do.

The maps--especially the imagery stuff--can be challenging. I suggest starting with a very small area first to make sure that everything is working the way you want it. That way if you have to re-do something, you don't have to wait for the computer to compile a large area.

Imported the LOC fine ......
I suggest that you upgrade to Premium Membership. Then you can download the GPX files and transfer up to the current, temporary limit of 800 characters of the cache descritption to the PN-40. (It is expected that this limit will be lifted when the Cache Register widget is released in the near future.)

While you're at it, you might as well upgrade to the Delorme map subscription. :D Then you don't have to worry about experimenting with map downloads.

I suggest that you upgrade to Premium Membership. Then you can download the GPX files and transfer up to the current, temporary limit of 800 characters of the cache descritption to the PN-40. (It is expected that this limit will be lifted when the Cache Register widget is released in the near future.)

While you're at it, you might as well upgrade to the Delorme map subscription. :D Then you don't have to worry about experimenting with map downloads.

Well, now that Marky mentions it, 10-4. I use nothing but the USGS Hi-Res City 133 Aerial Imagery for in town caching now that it is available. I have 3GB of the surrounding area where I typically cache. Absolutely astonishing, you can see if they are in a parking lot, proximity to a building or the one this http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+33%c2%b0+3....275+(GC1J3ZP)+

at the closest zoom for all the caches in your handheld.

While you're at it, you might as well upgrade to the Delorme map subscription. :rolleyes: Then you don't have to worry about experimenting with map downloads.

Alright you two. What, you work on commission? LOL

I am waiting patiently for DeLorme to support "send to GPS funtion". Shouldn't that send everything to the handheld? (eg, no LOC or GPX needed)

I will probably upgrade my memberhship here once winter is over and I get out caching again. Don't know about the DeLorme maps yet. Maybe when I get more serious about things. Right now I just marvel at having a COLOR screen!

While you're at it, you might as well upgrade to the Delorme map subscription. :rolleyes: Then you don't have to worry about experimenting with map downloads.

Alright you two. What, you work on commission? LOL

I am waiting patiently for DeLorme to support "send to GPS funtion". Shouldn't that send everything to the handheld? (eg, no LOC or GPX needed)

I will probably upgrade my memberhship here once winter is over and I get out caching again. Don't know about the DeLorme maps yet. Maybe when I get more serious about things. Right now I just marvel at having a COLOR screen!

You and me both. But to navigate by aerial imagery is just too cool for words.

Edited by TotemLake

It's my first post! Yay!

I read this whole thread the other day using my roommate's username/login. I am in the market for a GPS. I have never owned a handheld. My roomie has a ghetto eTrex Legend that uh....well...we don't find all the caches we look for, haha. But that may be our fault since we're the "search engine."

Anyway, I was pretty much sold on the 60csx. Then I was sold on the Colorado. But those Garmin's are expensive! And then I'd still have to spend more money on maps. That was a real turn off for me.

While I was reading reviews on the Garmin GPSr's I kept seeing ads for DeLorme. Being a new geocacher, I'd never heard of DeLorme. So, I started researching that brand.

People in the GPS community reference this forum a lot. I figured all of you geocaching veterans would have good info for what I needed.

And...as I was checking out this forum I saw this thread and it was addressing exactly what I was wondering about. Garmin vs. DeLorme.

All that to say...I think I'm totally convinced I want the PN-40. It comes with maps at no extra charge! I love that. And I equally love the map subscription. Beyond using my roommate's eTrex sparingly, I have no handheld experience. Do you think I'll be able to pick up the PN-40 quickly? Is that a worthy investment to make?

I'm kind of a tech geek. And I'm familiar with computers. I'm totally confident I could eventually figure any GPS out. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to despise later.

And...in regard to those who were hassling the DeLorme fans for drinking the company kool aid, no one badgers you for sticking with Garmins when they don't work. It only makes sense to support a product that DOES work. :D

And one last thing...if I do order one of these, it'll be off Amazon. Will the package/offer change after Christmas? I know DeLorme's site offers two extra things after purchasing (like getting two different maps). Will I lose out on great deals if I way to buy till after Christmas?

And one last thing...if I do order one of these, it'll be off Amazon. Will the package/offer change after Christmas? I know DeLorme's site offers two extra things after purchasing (like getting two different maps). Will I lose out on great deals if I way to buy till after Christmas?

Amazon's price seems to change rather dramatically from day to day. I've seen it as low as $275. I think today's price is $340. Who knows what it will be after Christmas. I'd say, however, that if you see it down around $275 again, you might want to consider snagging it.

--Marky

Amazon's price seems to change rather dramatically from day to day. I've seen it as low as $275. I think today's price is $340. Who knows what it will be after Christmas. I'd say, however, that if you see it down around $275 again, you might want to consider snagging it.

--Marky

Thank you. I've never seen it at the $275 price. Only at the $340. And though that's more expensive than the 275, it's still cheaper than anywhere else I was looking. I will try to pay more attention, though, in case it does go down again.

Do you think I'll be able to pick up the PN-40 quickly? Is that a worthy investment to make?

I'm kind of a tech geek. And I'm familiar with computers. I'm totally confident I could eventually figure any GPS out. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to despise later.

I doubt that you'll have any trouble then. The software isn't that intuitive, but it sounds like you can plow through it.

Thank you. I've never seen it at the $275 price. Only at the $340. And though that's more expensive than the 275, it's still cheaper than anywhere else I was looking. I will try to pay more attention, though, in case it does go down again.

If you're an REI member, buying it there will get you your 10% off ($40) and then there's the $50 rebate from Delorme when you buy from REI (and other select retailers). That comes out to $310, and you get REI's awesome support and return policy. That's a bargain. :)

Edit to add: rebate is good on purchases through the end of the year, so that answers your "should I wait" question, if you were to consider REI.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Usually when Amazon's price changes like this, it's because the product is not "sold and shipped by Amazon". It's sold by third parties through Amazon. I am not sure what method Amazon uses to pick the third party/price that comes up first when you search for the item. But I do know that each third party sets its own price, and that they vary considerably from one dealer to another.

If you're an REI member, buying it there will get you your 10% off ($40) and then there's the $50 rebate from Delorme when you buy from REI (and other select retailers). That comes out to $310, and you get REI's awesome support and return policy. That's a bargain. :)

Edit to add: rebate is good on purchases through the end of the year, so that answers your "should I wait" question, if you were to consider REI.

I've not seen this particular 10% rebate offer from REI. But in general, you need to be careful of the fine print. REI frequently excludes GPSrs and other electronics from rebate offers like this.

On the other hand, their returns policy can't be beat. If you're not sure you'll like the unit or if you find you can't get the hang of the rather complicated Delorme software, you can always return it -- no questions asked, no restocking fee.

I think the 10% rebate Marky referenced is the annual rebate REI gives its members for purchases through the year. I believe you need to make the purchase on the REI credit card to get the 10%; if you pay other ways (e.g., cash) the rebate is at a lower rate...3-4%. And I think maybe if you buy with a non-REI credit card, there's no rebate.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that, Marky (or anyone else well-versed in their facts).

I think the 10% rebate Marky referenced is the annual rebate REI gives its members for purchases through the year. I believe you need to make the purchase on the REI credit card to get the 10%; if you pay other ways (e.g., cash) the rebate is at a lower rate...3-4%. And I think maybe if you buy with a non-REI credit card, there's no rebate.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that, Marky (or anyone else well-versed in their facts).

The annual co-op rebate does apply to all purchases. I was thinking of the occasional "sale" rebates. I do seem to recall some fine print about differences in the annual rebate percentage, but don't remember the details.

Edit to add: OK, you made me look. There are few exclusions, primarily for highly discounted items and things (such as classes or trips) that involve services. The REI vs. other credit cards seems to be a thing of the past. Here's the info from the REI site:

How is the Member Refund Calculated?

As a member, you'll get back a percentage of the money you spend at REI-every year! REI's goal is to return an annual refund of up to 10% to our members. In 2007, REI returned 10% of the dollar amount of members' eligible* purchases. For example, a member who purchased $500 in eligible merchandise in 2007 received a refund of $50 (10% of $500**). Since 1938, REI has never failed to return a dividend to its members.

*Purchases not eligible: sale/clearance items (prices ending in $._9 or $._3), gift cards, certificates, services, fees, travel and REI Outdoor School classes and outings.

**Purchases prior to 2008 made with credit cards other than the REI Visa card earn a refund of 2% less.

All the gory details here:

http://www.rei.com/help/membership/101.html?storeId=8000

And no, I don't work for REI, although I sometimes think I'd like to.

Edited by twolpert

Usually when Amazon's price changes like this, it's because the product is not "sold and shipped by Amazon". It's sold by third parties through Amazon.

I have to disagree. I follow prices there closely for my deals site, and items sold directly from Amazon vary quite a bit. I've seen units where the price changes every other day like clockwork -- up, down, up, down.

Usually when Amazon's price changes like this, it's because the product is not "sold and shipped by Amazon". It's sold by third parties through Amazon.

I have to disagree. I follow prices there closely for my deals site, and items sold directly from Amazon vary quite a bit. I've seen units where the price changes every other day like clockwork -- up, down, up, down.

You follow 'em more closely than I do. I usually only watch an item or two that I'm interested in. In the cases where I've seen it myself, it's been multiple vendors. But I wouldn't doubt that Amazon tinkers with their own prices to up their margins or their volume on any given day...

So Amazon prices go up and down and REI sounds complicated. Haha. I've never purchased anything from REI before so I'm not already signed up with them. I see that there's a $20 membership fee for REI.

So where do you all think is the best place to purchase? REI sounds good cuz of the return policy. But I don't really want to pay them twenty bucks for one purchase. I doubt I'd buy from them again anytime soon.

Edited by wbgt

So Amazon prices go up and down and REI sounds complicated. Haha. I've never purchased anything from REI before so I'm not already signed up with them. I see that there's a $20 membership fee for REI.

So where do you all think is the best place to purchase? REI sounds good cuz of the return policy. But I don't really want to pay them twenty bucks for one purchase. I doubt I'd buy from them again anytime soon.

I said the same thing 20 years ago. They have become the primary store I go to before I'll go to anybody else.

It's a one time fee and you reap benefits each year you shop from them including 10-20% discounts and up to 10% rebates based on your annual purchases.

Low rental fees on sports equipment is a major plus for this one time fee too. Most of the staff is trained and knowledgable. The only ones I've had trouble with are new and haven't completed their training yet. If they don't know the answer, they will find someone who does. More times than not, I'll end up receiving a customer's personal review on the same product I'm pondering over, and I'm more than willing to do the same. Get that from a big box. I dare ya.

So where do you all think is the best place to purchase?

I agree that REI is great, and the one time membership fee is not required, but it will lead to 10% back annually on non-sale purchases.

There are a lot of good places to buy. Look for the low price and then check their ratings. I use BizRate. There is a store rating search at the bottom of this page.

You follow 'em more closely than I do. I usually only watch an item or two that I'm interested in. In the cases where I've seen it myself, it's been multiple vendors. But I wouldn't doubt that Amazon tinkers with their own prices to up their margins or their volume on any given day...

A few years ago, slashdot noted that Amazon sometimes had different prices based on the browser used--higher for IE, lower for Mozilla. Draw your own conclusions... :)

A few years ago, slashdot noted that Amazon sometimes had different prices based on the browser used--higher for IE, lower for Mozilla. Draw your own conclusions... :D

Amazon will change the cost based a lot of factors, including how many times you've searched it and if you have put it in your wish list. Guess which way the prices moves...? lol

A main reason I wanted to use Amazon is because you can get their credit card and pay off the balance no interest for 6 months. I'd prefer to pay off the GPS a little at a time instead of a huge chunk at once. Does REI have that option?

Edited by wbgt

You and me both. But to navigate by aerial imagery is just too cool for words.

Yep, that will probably be the ultimate to get me to sign up for the map downloads. :D

Oh, you'll sign up for the subscription, trust me! It's an awesome deal, too. I bought color aerial imagery of Disneyland last summer before making a trip there with my PN-20, and just covering Disneyland cost me $6. Now, for $30, I have so far downloaded almost 13GB of imagery, which covers all of the Salem/Keizer area where I live (color aerial), the Beaverton/Hillsboro area where I work and my parents live (hi-res color aerial), the majority of Portland (hi-res), down the Columbia gorge out towards my grandparents (color aerial), and the entire Oregon coast and Mt Hood (color aerial). Oh, and Detroit Lake, Bend, and Sun River (color aerial), and I'm pretty sure I'll keep downoading more and more because, well, I can! Might have to start looking at getting a 32GB SD card, though, I'm going to pass up the capacity of a 16GB pretty soon!