dkzae

i'm new to geocaching. I'm looking at the these two GPS handhelds

Garmin 60CSX

DeLorme PN-20 or PN-40

do these have same features? compass. waas. etc

Map update cost?

ease of use? it seems similar

paper or paperless?

The PN-40 and 60CSx have an electronic compass.

I have the 76CSx "twin" to the 60CSx for 21 months now.

Haven't used it for Geocaching, very good unit.

The PN-40 has better geocaching support and it's maps are CHEAP!

Will start using my PN-40 for some geocaching soon.

The 60CSx has long been considered the best Geocaching GPS available. Very, very nice unit.

However, the Delorme units you mentioned have some rather complete paperless geocaching features and a wide range of maps available - much cheaper then Garmin maps.

I have not used a Delorme - but I'm thinking about it.

i'm new to geocaching. I'm looking at the these two GPS handhelds

Garmin 60CSX

DeLorme PN-20 or PN-40

do these have same features? compass. waas. etc

Map update cost?

ease of use? it seems similar

paper or paperless?

I was looking into buying a PN-20 that was for sale here in Canada and found out that not only do the DeLorme GPSr's not have Canadian maps available but they are not in the works.

SO if you are from Canada or will cache in Canada stick with the Garmin.

Too bad because I thought the DeLorme looked it would be a great unit.

I will wait for them to come out with the Canadian features and then will seriously consider one.

G

WELCOME TO GEOCACHING!!!!!!

Personally, I LOVE my Garmin Map60cx. It's rugged, dependable, and very accurate. I wouldn't consider anything else for geocaching - not even the newer Oregon or Colorado!! You'll also find that much of the software for geocaching is designed for Garmin and Magellan. Further, I've heard really great things about Garmin's customer service.

A great deal on a GPS receiver isn't so great when you can't get help from the manufacturer! Garmin's been at it for a long time, too. I believe they are THE premier GPS company. Want proof? What other company builds handheld GPS units AND glass cockpit GPS / performance control devices for aircraft???? Please, please, please, give Garmin a long, hard look before buying anything else.

There IS a reason why the vast majority of geocachers use Garmin!!!!!

As far as paperless caching is concerned.... IT'S SUPER SIMPLE and environmentally friendly! Please give my blog a look. I just wrote an entry on paperless caching.

P.S. I DO NOT work for Garmin. I just believe in their product.

Good Luck!

Grigorii Rasputin

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

While in New England this fall I stopped at the DeLorme HQ. Got to play with their gps in the store. Another shopper and I agreed the text on display screen was way to small. When asked the sales people said it couldn't not be enlarged. Didn't explore any further despite my earlier interest.

We found our 1st cache 7 days ago without any GPS and quickly realized that we do need a GPS (after stumbling in the woods in the cold, wet dark unsuccessfully...)

Settled on the PN-40, it arrived 2 days ago. Very easy to install everything, and with a premium membership cool paperless geocaching.

Of course I don't have anything else to compare it to. Just from a total newbie: it is very easy to figure out and operate! Even without reading the instructions (as my family likes to do - they leave me to the booklet...)

HTH, :shocked:

SigridP

I just got the PN-40. It is AMAZING!!! Truly paperless. The maps are great. It's like I was using Google Earth as a GPSr. So different than any other geocaching experience I have had. I don't think the 60CSx is paperless. The PN-40 is. It auto-routes to the cache, and is SOOOOOOOOO accurate. I just love this PN-40.

I wholeheartedly recommend the PN-40. You will not be disappointed. Plus, the people at the DeLorme forums were SO helpful. They have helped me so much since I first found them about 2 weeks ago.

I have a Garmin Legend HCx and had a PN-20, and I loved the PN-20 enough that I got rid of it... so i could get a PN-40. I really miss the paperless of the PN-20, and can't wait to get a -40. I'm keeping the Legend, though, will make a nice backup or spare for someone else. Never used a 60CSx, but I've never heard anything bad about them, either. But the PN-xx is a neat little unit, and I highly recommend them.

Regarding the paperless question, both the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 can provide a truly paperless caching experience right out of the box with nothing else required.

As I understand it, users of the 60CSx report paperless caching capability after aquiring additional items. Apparently, they need two pieces of third party software, GSAK and Cachemate, in additon to a PDA.

Concerning the map cost question, the DeLorme products contain detailed city street maps, highway maps and 3D topo maps for the entire US, nothing else to buy.

Now, I'd like to address this topic specifically with respect to its title: Garmin vs DeLorme. That is, responses where both are contrasted and compared as distinct from some of the responses where only one GPSr is described.

Firstly, allow me to direct attention to another post in this thread, #2 above, where gps_dr has used two Garmin models, but has been apparently significantly intrigued by descriptions of the DeLorme PN-40 to try one.

Furthermore, I would like to reference two reports where the respondents have experience with Garmin GPSrs prior to their hands-on PN-40 testing.

from workerofwood:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16018&start=45

gpsreview.net

http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-pn-40/

Now if they would add Apple Mac support and a larger screen I would have to upgrade. For now I love my Colorado 400T. The value of the Delorme seems much better though. Figure I have almost $500 into my Colorado plus and $100+ for City Nav. NT. Of course all the Mac software other than maps is free.

Its funny how so many people complain about the colorado. Maybe for the price it should be better but I am very happy with mine. I've been using GPS's for years. I have several units and the colorado blows them all away. However, I am not using the unit for surveying or civil engineering where I need 6" accuracy.

While in New England this fall I stopped at the DeLorme HQ. Got to play with their gps in the store. Another shopper and I agreed the text on display screen was way to small. When asked the sales people said it couldn't not be enlarged. Didn't explore any further despite my earlier interest.

I'm in the market for a new GPSr to replace my 60CSx at some point (not urgently). The PN-40 looked great on paper and might just have pulled me out of the Garmin orbit--until I noticed the tiny screen size. I found this really disappointing, kind of like wanting to buy a brand new Ducati but then finding out it only came with bicycle wheels. In my opinion, the screen of the GPSr is literally where the rubber meets the road. I don't care what spectacular new features the unit has. If you can't read the darn thing, it's next to useless (unless you're under 40 with good eyesight). NO--I haven't actually seen a PN-40 or 20, but that doesn't matter. I don't care how high the resolution is (and it's not that high, in spite of what Delorme suggests). In this realm, SIZE DOES MATTER, and I'm just not going to waste my time with it.

In an earlier thread I started on this issue, I was "bum-rushed" by a number of folks that either work for Delorme--reps, field testers, or people who have apparently drunk deeply from the KoolAid jug at the Delorme company picnic. The folks are swarming this particular board, posting what appears to be thinly veiled advertisements for the PN-40--almost falling all over themselves, gushing with unalloyed praise for the new unit. I find it a bit sickening and think that anyone working for Delorme or associated with Delorme in any capacity other than simply being a regular customer, should state that clearly in their post so all of us can determine their true level of objectivity. "Full disclosure", as they say.

NO--I am not a Delorme hater. I've purchased their products in the past including the Blue Logger and their topo software. I definitely want Delorme to succeed for two reasons: 1) competition makes everyone turn out better products; and, 2) they seem to be a truly fine company that cares about their customers' experience and has second-to-none customer support. But, they seriously dropped the ball with the PN-40 by keeping the old form factor while changing everything inside the case. Whoever made this decision at Delorme should be taken out to the woodshed.

Message to Delorme: I'm willing to wait for a "PN-60" with a nice, big, readable screen--but not more than 6 months or so. Please get working on this and I'll drink the KoolAid, too!

For your planning purposes, I wouldn't expect a new PN model to be added to the Delorme lineup within 6 months. I don't know anything about what or when Delorme is thinking about, but I would observe that that it was a bit under two years between the introduction of the PN-20 and the PN-40. Also, Delorme announced the PN-40 about 8 months or so before it came to market. The past is usually the best predictor of the future.

I'm sure we come across as a crazed cult a lot of the time, but what you're seeing is our enthusiasm for the product...and the company, too, that's a part of it. The only employees who post here do so under the Team Delorme account, all others are non-paid users. I think the people who were beta testers of the PN-40 identified themselves as such at least several times as such. Now that the PN-40 is getting into more people's hands, there should be more user-provided information and I don't think we'll feel the drive to provide our experiences as much.

I do have to say that beta testing the PN-40 is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had. If Garmin gave me a chance to design and test a GPS like that, I'd probably be singing their praises, too.

.... NO--I haven't actually seen a PN-40 or 20, but that doesn't matter. I don't care how high the resolution is (and it's not that high, in spite of what Delorme suggests). In this realm, SIZE DOES MATTER, and I'm just not going to waste my time with it....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However you might actually want to check the device out at one of the stores. My eyesight is not what it used to be but a hands on demo of the PN-20 at REI last year sold me on the unit. The clarity of the screen is amazing and having USGS Topos and photo imagery enhances the utility of this unit. The PN-40 is everything the PN-20 was but better. And yes I have held a PN-40 - was fortunate enough to catch a demo of the product by a DeLorme engineer at L.L. Beans.

If you are going to speak against the product, you might want to have more information by actually holding and checking one out.

I'm in the market for a new GPSr to replace my 60CSx at some point (not urgently). The PN-40 looked great on paper and might just have pulled me out of the Garmin orbit--until I noticed the tiny screen size. I found this really disappointing... If you can't read the darn thing, it's next to useless (unless you're under 40 with good eyesight). NO--I haven't actually seen a PN-40 or 20, but that doesn't matter. I don't care how high the resolution is (and it's not that high, in spite of what Delorme suggests). In this realm, SIZE DOES MATTER, and I'm just not going to waste my time with it.

I have a 60CSx and a PN-40, hate kool-aid, and am 39 so possibly have better eyesight than you do. I'm not ready to sing DeLorme praises since I'm still getting familiar with the PN-40, but I would suggest taking a serious look at the PN-40 (in the flesh) to see if you think the screen is really harder to read than your 60CSx.

Speaking of screen size: I've previously owned both the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series. What they make up for in larger screen real estate, they fail miserably in screen readability. They also failed in many other areas: Garmin releases products that are far from ready for prime time, unlike DeLorme which releases products that simply work. Yes, I'm surprised that my PN-40 hasn't crashed once, and is so far working as advertised (strange concept these days).

Regards

Edited by jmedlock

I'm in the market for a new GPSr to replace my 60CSx at some point (not urgently). The PN-40 looked great on paper and might just have pulled me out of the Garmin orbit--until I noticed the tiny screen size. I found this really disappointing... If you can't read the darn thing, it's next to useless (unless you're under 40 with good eyesight). NO--I haven't actually seen a PN-40 or 20, but that doesn't matter. I don't care how high the resolution is (and it's not that high, in spite of what Delorme suggests). In this realm, SIZE DOES MATTER, and I'm just not going to waste my time with it.

I have a 60CSx and a PN-40, hate kool-aid, and am 39 so possibly have better eyesight than you do. I'm not ready to sing DeLorme praises since I'm still getting familiar with the PN-40, but I would suggest taking a serious look at the PN-40 (in the flesh) to see if you think the screen is really harder to read than your 60CSx.

Speaking of screen size: I've previously owned both the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series. What they make up for in larger screen real estate, they fail miserably in screen readability. They also failed in many other areas: Garmin releases products that are far from ready for prime time, unlike DeLorme which releases products that simply work. Yes, I'm surprised that my PN-40 hasn't crashed once, and is so far working as advertised (strange concept these days).

Regards

Agree totally. I'm disappointed with both companies--Garmin for putting out defective, poorly-designed, or otherwise impaired new products to eventually replace the benchmark (60CSx); and Delorme for dropping the ball so close to the goal line. No, I'm not going to give the PN-40 a chance. Even if I had great eyes for reading tiny print, I want to look at a map with a reasonable area around my location, not a postage stamp. The 60CSx has a highly readable screen, about 25% larger surface area than the PN-40--but even that is too small for my liking. In a year or two, we'll look back at these screens as quaint reminders of a technology in its early days and wonder how we ever were able to put up with it. The sad thing is, the screen technology is available right now, not in some future era. In fact, screens are cheaper than ever now that the flat screen manufacturers have been sued $1/2 billion for price fixing (if anyone hasn't heard about this yet, you may find it interesting to Google it).

Edited by bikercr

I'm sure we come across as a crazed cult a lot of the time, but what you're seeing is our enthusiasm for the product...and the company, too, that's a part of it. The only employees who post here do so under the Team Delorme account, all others are non-paid users. I think the people who were beta testers of the PN-40 identified themselves as such at least several times as such. Now that the PN-40 is getting into more people's hands, there should be more user-provided information and I don't think we'll feel the drive to provide our experiences as much.

If you go back and look at posts about 3 years ago, when the 60C/CSx units first came out, you will see a similar enthusiasm for those units (with the notable exception that Garmin remained aloof and there were no "official" beta testers - just us folks who "paid" to be beta testers by buying the first units :laughing: ). I feel the same enthusiasm for the PN40 that I did then for the 60CSx (my PN40 is currently "out for delivery", so should see it today - hopefully sooner than later).

That's not to say that all of the 60C/Sx threads at the time were all enthusiatic - my own first post at the time was very enthusiastic and resembled some of the "first impressions" type of messages you've seen here over the last week; but later I posted some critical posts as well as I used the unit and found things I didn't like (most were later corrected by firmware updates). I think we will see a similar mix of enthusiasm and critique on the PN40 as users get familiar with it.

In an earlier thread I started on this issue, I was "bum-rushed" by a number of folks that either work for Delorme--reps, field testers, or people who have apparently drunk deeply from the KoolAid jug at the Delorme company picnic. The folks are swarming this particular board, posting what appears to be thinly veiled advertisements for the PN-40--almost falling all over themselves, gushing with unalloyed praise for the new unit. I find it a bit sickening and think that anyone working for Delorme or associated with Delorme in any capacity other than simply being a regular customer, should state that clearly in their post so all of us can determine their true level of objectivity. "Full disclosure", as they say.

I never owned a DeLorme before last Thursday. I was going to get a Garmin Oregon. So, this is not a thinly veiled advertisement. I am truly happy with my PN-40. I love it. So, I am giving props where props are due. The screen is fine, now I am 35 years old, but still, it is fine. And out of the box does more than any competitor. For $30 a year to be able to download unlimited color aerial imagery is virtually priceless. For geocaching, this is a no-brainer. An extra inch or two on the Oregon does not make up for what this packs.

Once again, I never even posted on the DeLorme forums before two weeks ago, and know no one there. If I am this enthusiastic, as are others, doesn't that say something about the product? I want people to know how happy I am with this device. Sure, I have a wishlist, but I'm sure these will be addressed in time. In the meantime, I am having the best Google Earth like geocaching experience I could ever hope for on one device.

Edited by Merge!

Now if they would add Apple Mac support and a larger screen I would have to upgrade.

See http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/ (I'd pick out individual parts of the post but I'd end up just reposting 50% of the content).

Yes, I heard they were working on it but they are not 100% there yet. Just about any web based stuff works on mac anyway such as Groundspeak. However you unit has to be recognized by the mac and they sound like they have that plus maps. But they really don't have the native map viewer software for mac yet. So do you use the Garmin on or a web based one? Not sure. They sound delorme has some sweet stuff to offer in a GPS. A larger screen like the colorado would be nice.

Seing how I just got a really nice new handheld this year I will not be in the market for a new one for a while. When I am, I will certainly look at Delorme.

Screen size; I got in on the eXplorist XL, nice screen size, same pixel count as the PN-XXs.

I too would love to see a large screen on the PN-40 SE that should be here tomorrow.

I'm "in it for the long haul" w/DeLorme, they are nowhere as big, and don't have the

resources that Garmin is blessed with. This is an investment in the future, because I like

their style of business, and over all atmosphere that I sense the presence of within their

company. It's an 'attaboy' so to speak. By purchasing now, the odds improve that they

will be able to prosper well enough that future products can better meet the needs of

pending customers. I have faith that the issues of cross platform will be met positively,

and by the way, in a much timelier fashion, and more gracefully than Garmin's efforts;

by a long shot. I too would love to "have it all, RIGHT NOW" but sometimes that just

isn't fiscally possible for a smaller player workin' towards the big time. I'm not even sure

DeLorme wants the "full glow of the limelight", just want to exceed expectations and

provide the end user with the best product and value, what a concept in this day and age.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

The thing with screen size is that if it gets much bigger, you start losing easy handheld portability. To put a bigger screen on the PN-40 would mean the buttons would have to either be moved or made smaller, and I like where they are now. Or go with a touchscreen like the Oregon has, but that raises costs and the touchscreen membrane makes the TFT display not as easy to read (less light getting through it to reflect back). I'm also curious to see how the Oregon touchscreen hold up to long-term abuse outdoors, see if that causes usability problem. Keep it simple: crisp screen, easy to use buttons, nice layout.

By the way, is it the cost of the -40 that makes people complain about the screen size? It's the same size as the Garmin eTrex series, and I've NEVER heard anyone complaining about those screens.

Edited by HondaH8er

Screen size; I got in on the eXplorist XL, nice screen size, same pixel count as the PN-XXs.

I too would love to see a large screen on the PN-40 SE that should be here tomorrow.

I'm "in it for the long haul" w/DeLorme, they are nowhere as big, and don't have the

resources that Garmin is blessed with. This is an investment in the future, because I like

their style of business, and over all atmosphere that I sense the presence of within their

company. It's an 'attaboy' so to speak. By purchasing now, the odds improve that they

will be able to prosper well enough that future products can better meet the needs of

pending customers. I have faith that the issues of cross platform will be met positively,

and by the way, in a much timelier fashion, and more gracefully than Garmin's efforts;

by a long shot. I too would love to "have it all, RIGHT NOW" but sometimes that just

isn't fiscally possible for a smaller player workin' towards the big time. I'm not even sure

DeLorme wants the "full glow of the limelight", just want to exceed expectations and

provide the end user with the best product and value, what a concept in this day and age.

Norm

Norm-- I don't think any of us know the real reasons that companies choose this or that screen or form factor. Delorme is not a tiny company and sells products all over the world. But the sad truth is that Delorme has one terrific unit coupled with excellent software at a good price point at the exact time that Garmin is frustrating its loyal customer base with problematic new units. If Delorme just took the leap into a truly new form factor instead of simply recycling the old one, I believe they could have knocked Garmin off the trail-GPS top podium. As I see it, Delorme got very close to doing this but fell on their face with a shortsighted business decision. If you're going to make the best handheld GPS unit in the market and advertise it as such, don't cheap out on the screen.

I'm disappointed that the marketplace has given us the choice of watching soap operas on a plasma wide-screen or Shakespeare on a watch face (to paraphrase Cowboy Papa's analogy).

bikercr :

I agree with most of your last posting, the one thing I see different is the size of the company, and if you look at the value

they provide . . . that would never cut it if they weren't privately held. Compare the cost to value ratios of their commercial

offerings, they're not makin' a killin' like Magellan or Trimble are, they have to rely "on the love" both internally, and from their

customer base, I think they're earning it, personally.

Norm

P. S. :

My Magellan XL has the big screen and sports 4 AAs to prove it, that's part of why it's a brick (among other things).

And on the Home Theater front plasma STILL has too many artifacts and sampling issues to look good to

me, it's my last pick on that front, geepers even a really good CRT looks better. Get fairly close and look for

the "ant races" in the backdrops and for smooth color gradations, you'll see. And "motion breakup", I'm sur-

prized Plasma's still around.

Edited by RRLover

bikercr :

I agree with most of your last posting, the one thing I see different is the size of the company, and if you look at the value

they provide . . . that would never cut it if they weren't privately held. Compare the cost to value ratios of their commercial

offerings, they're not makin' a killin' like Magellan or Trimble are, they have to rely "on the love" both internally, and from their

customer base, I think they're earning it, personally.

Norm

P. S. :

My Magellan XL has the big screen and sports 4 AAs to prove it, that's part of why it's a brick (among other things).

And on the Home Theater front plasma STILL has too many artifacts and sampling issues to look good to

me, it's my last pick on that front, geepers even a really good CRT looks better. Get fairly close and look for

the "ant races" in the backdrops and for smooth color gradations, you'll see. And "motion breakup", I'm sur-

prized Plasma's still around.

I've got a great Panasonic 42" plasma HDTV that doesn't have the defects you mention. In fact, I can't stand watching non-HD channels any more.

Now, back to the topic at hand. It's become clear to me that Delorme has an extremely loyal, almost rabid customer base. This tells me that Delorme is doing something right that most companies get wrong--they're listening to their customers, creating quality products and pricing them fairly. Reminds me of the old Avis ads, "We Try Harder". Norm, as a result of all the responses to my criticisms of the PN-40, I now very much want to be a long term customer of Delorme. Garmin, as far as I'm concerned, has turned their back on their customers by releasing defective new products that essentially render at least some of the buyers as unwilling, unpaid, default field-testers. I'm waiting, not too patiently, for Delorme to create a product that I've GOT to have before I move to replace my trusty GPSMAP 60 CSx. The small screen on the PN series is just, sadly, the deal breaker for me.

I respect all you Delorme guys, even if you have drunk deeply from the company KoolAid!

Now, back to the topic at hand. It's become clear to me that Delorme has an extremely loyal, almost rabid customer base. This tells me that Delorme is doing something right that most companies get wrong--they're listening to their customers, creating quality products and pricing them fairly. Reminds me of the old Avis ads, "We Try Harder". Norm, as a result of all the responses to my criticisms of the PN-40, I now very much want to be a long term customer of Delorme. Garmin, as far as I'm concerned, has turned their back on their customers by releasing defective new products that essentially render at least some of the buyers as unwilling, unpaid, default field-testers. I'm waiting, not too patiently, for Delorme to create a product that I've GOT to have before I move to replace my trusty GPSMAP 60 CSx. The small screen on the PN series is just, sadly, the deal breaker for me.

I respect all you Delorme guys, even if you have drunk deeply from the company KoolAid!

It's hard to find anything to disagree with there. I appreciate that you can discern that our fanaticism was earned. My gut-level feeling (which no one should put much stock in) is that the next model Delorme comes out with will have a screen more to your liking. It does seem like the next logical step, and I will welcome it as much as you.

What everyone is seeing with the release of the PN-40 in one word COMPETITION. Garmin has not had to worry much because they were only competing with their own product, the 60csx. Now that Delorme has released the PN-40 Garmin is on the bubble for coming up with something new that will regain their reputation. Just from a customer service standpoint it is not rocket science that Delorme was light years beyond Garmin the day the PN-40 was shipped. If anybody would like to debate that please do, you are going to be on the losing end if in fact you have dealt with Garmin over the last year. I am still waiting for Santa to come through with my own PN-40 but I have no doubts that Delorme will support their product and continue to listen to their customers and potenial customers. Of my current 450 day geocaching streak I have used a 60cs, Colorado, 60csx and Oregon. I can't wait to continue the streak with the PN-40.

DeLorme is a map company that branched into PC mapping and then started doing GPS and routing.

Garmin is a hardware company. They do not own any maps. When you buy a Garmin, some of the money goes to Navteq map data licenses.

DeLorme maps are cheap Garmin's are not. Delorme's map expertise should make for a good GPS and I am very much interested. I bought my first GPS mainly because I like maps and I knew about Delorme way before geocaching.

As far as the screen size, it is fine with me. Hiking equipment is supposed to be small. I suspect the people that want a big honking screen are the same people that camp with a three burner Coleman stove. Suggesting that DeLorme dropped the ball because the screen is small makes no sense to me.

......I bought my first GPS mainly because I like maps and I knew about Delorme way before geocaching.

Exactly, and that's why I got a DeLorme PN-20 as my first GPSr. I was not going to downscale on maps.

Oh yeah, I'm not a backpacker, but I do tent camp out of my Jeep. Nevertheless, my stove is a 40 year old, Coleman two burner, pumper up by hand, Coleman liquid fuel and always will be. And there is no other sound at night along with the crackle of the campfire like the hiss of the Coleman, liquid fuel, pumper up yerself lantern. Propane lanterns just don't have the hiss. :unsure:

I see a review I wrote on the PN40 was quoted above so I ought to speak up.

I've been caching 5 years. I started with an eTrex (briefly) then moved to the 60CS the week it came out, and the 60CSX the week it came out. I have been very satisfied with the 60's and really didn't think there was anything on the horizon that would cause me to switch, since it did everything I thought I needed. I tried the Colorado and the Oregon and found them pretty but otherwise lacking in features (and with large but unviewable screens in my opinion).

I tried the PN20 when it came out and liked the concept but found it underpowered and missing features.

When the PN40 came out I tried it and was surprised that the small screen (same size as an eTrex, one of the most popular GPS's out there) didn't bother me. I use reading glasses to view my PDA, but not the PN40.

The maps for me are more usable than anything from Garmin. The price for the maps is so far below Garmin that I can't imagine any economic argument for ANY of their products anymore.

I've had it for two weeks now and have had no need or desire to pick up the 60csx. The learning curve was quick and easy, particularly since the interface is close to the 60 in many ways. The map capabilities add so much to caching in urban or open areas that I'm not interested in going back to anything less. Paperless caching even in this early implementation is big value.

Finally, everything I've seen of DeLorme shows me they understand caching and are working to create a product that will enhance our experience. I just don't see that commitment from Garmin. So I've drunk the koolaid for sure, and am very pleased to be using the PN40.

Edited by workerofwood

This thread and the posts on it are music to my ears.

It would seem that Garmin has some very decent competition from DeLorme.

Hopefully the competiton will sharpen up Garmins act and boy do they need it after the Colorado.

Its great to see DeLorme so commited to its products and obviously very willing to listen to its customers.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3724474

Norm

Just now (well, yesterday) got mine, still playin'!

The thing with screen size is that if it gets much bigger, you start losing easy handheld portability. To put a bigger screen on the PN-40 would mean the buttons would have to either be moved or made smaller, and I like where they are now. Or go with a touchscreen like the Oregon has, but that raises costs and the touchscreen membrane makes the TFT display not as easy to read (less light getting through it to reflect back). I'm also curious to see how the Oregon touchscreen hold up to long-term abuse outdoors, see if that causes usability problem. Keep it simple: crisp screen, easy to use buttons, nice layout.

By the way, is it the cost of the -40 that makes people complain about the screen size? It's the same size as the Garmin eTrex series, and I've NEVER heard anyone complaining about those screens.

One thing that really attracted me to the Colorado was the fact that the unit was smaller than the GPS Map 60 CX but the screen was bigger. Making the unit just slightly bigger than the screen itself is key. Than you can keep the unit small for carrying outdoors.

One thing that really attracted me to the Colorado was the fact that the unit was smaller than the GPS Map 60 CX but the screen was bigger. Making the unit just slightly bigger than the screen itself is key. Than you can keep the unit small for carrying outdoors.

I've had the Garmin 60csx for almost a year now. It is a great unit however after just coming home from a hunting trip in saome fairly rugged terrain. About as rugged as you are going to find in Illinois anyhow. The garmin maps are very expensive, and the detail you get for the money is terrible. The ability to use aerial photo's would be awesome. After walking about a mile and a half through some rather rough hilly terrain and the map on my garmin only had 1 squigally contour line to show for it. I will admit though it did show the borders of the conservation area quite well, as this particular conservation area did not mark it's borders very well at all. It would be very easy to trespass on someone's property without being in the slightest bit aware of it. The 60csx kept me safe in that regard. The other anoying thing is the compass pointer seems to shut off at the worst times. Walking along with all my hunting gear in the dark pick up the gps unit to verify direction and the compass pointer is gone. The only way I've found to turn it off then back on, the select the waypoint I want to go to all over again.

Did you see Delorme has a $50 rebate until the end of the year? I just purchased mine... when all said and done.. it will cost me only $280 for the PN-40.... good deal.

TigerGPS w/ 5%off (add to shopping card, then try to leave site.. they give you 5% off).

Hi swales I was just wondering if you know ?....

How is TigerGPS's online reputation, have you bought from them before ? Any problems with the company or products etc....?

PS. Thanks for the 5% off tip, with the DeLorme 50$ rebate and Tigers free shipping this sounds like a pretty good deal.

TX. BrokenLug...

Hi swales I was just wondering if you know ?....

How is TigerGPS's online reputation, have you bought from them before ? Any problems with the company or products etc....?

PS. Thanks for the 5% off tip, with the DeLorme 50$ rebate and Tigers free shipping this sounds like a pretty good deal.

My experience with TigerGPS has been good, but I don't think that they are on the list of authorized retailers for the rebate (it's only good for certain bricks-and -mortar sellers like REI and Cabellas, I don't have the appropriate link spelling out who at the moment).

However, J&R is selling the PN-40 for $290 through 12/1.