Problem with Vista CHX and Topo GB maps

MikeGozna

Hello all.

Thankyou for the help with previous posts, im learning fast. Next Problem.

I have an Etrex Vista HCx GPS and I have downloaded and installed Topo GB maps, or I thought I had?

The problem is I cant see any roads or contour lines at all no matter how close I zoom in. Can someone tell me the optimum settings for all items to give me the best screen output for moor walking (Dartmoor mainly). Because I have nothing to compare with I dont know if this is as good as it gets, Ive installed it wrong or I have not got the settings right. Screen shots of other users output would confirm my settings.

Again thanks for any help in advance. <_<

Edited by MikeGozna

Just check that you downloaded the Topo version into the Extrex right as you intended. At its simplest level, if you could see the the contours on your PC screen (and the print feature is disabled) just before you downloaded, then you probably got that bit.

Edited by kewfriend

Just check that you downloaded the Topo version into the Extrex right as you intended. At its simplest level, if you could see the the contours on your PC screen (and the print feature is disabled) just before you downloaded, then you probably got that bit.

Thank for replying I have installed it right I think. I can plot ways, routes and tracks on the PC and transfer them to the vista, but when i zoom in it doesn't centre and there are no detailed road maps, path etc or it doesn't show any contour lines. I can access the SD card as a drive and it says that there is am image file in the Garmin folder called gmappsupp, but this file is only 2998 kb. is this the TOPO maps, seems to small. Please if someone can shed some light I would be grateful.

Depends on how much of the map you have loaded, I loaded all the GB and mine is a file size of 1,005,104KB.

Do you have a large selection of POI's that you can search for? ie: SHopping, recreation,food & fuel svc. to quote a few? If so the the Topo is loaded if not then you have not got it loaded properly, if you have only six POI categories on the find screen then you are still on basemaps.

Have you actually unlocked it ??

This problem has now been solved. i did not realise that you had to upload all the map sections at once and that was the problem. Everything is now working as i had hoped. I think Garmins manual and help advice is pants. Thankyou all for your help, you may be hearing from me again as i try to get used to this darned new fangled de vice, lol. Thanks again

Mike G.