Help! Map segments are too large

ubern000b

The problem.

The Ontario segment for City Navigator 2009 is 27mb or so. My Legend C only has 24mb of memory. I haven't tried downloading the segment yet (main computer crash and this is being typed on an old Jornada hpc) so this may all be moot. If the segment won't fit (as I suspect)

Is there any way to shave off areas of the segment I don't want to reduce its size? I really don't need any of Ontario past North Bay.

Or,

Is my other option to purchase City Select and just load the needed cities and use the basemap for city-city routing? I really don't want to buy another mapset if I can avoid it.

Does anyone here with a Legend C have the time to try to install the Ontario segment and see if it fits?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the Garmin maps cannot be trimmed down to work with the older units. Also, it sounds as if you have CityNav 2009 NT. The Legend C is not compatible with the NT compression standard. Only the "x" units (e.g., 60CSx and Vista HSX), the new Colorado/Oregon, and most car navigators support NT maps.

I would not buy CitySelect as this product was discontinued and is now out of date. I would get Metroguide and modify it using Metrogold to support autorouting.

http://www.geodude.nl/community/content/view/15/31/

As stated, you have purchased the wrong maps. They will not work at all on that older unit. You should return it.

The correct CNNA2009 has smaller segments. http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapsi...ynav8canada.htm

I suggest waiting for Metroguide Canada version 5 to come out and get that. It should be available any day now. If you want US maps, then Metroguide NA, as suggested, with metrogold to make it routable.

Edited by Red90

Thanks for the replies.

I'll watch for deals on the suggested products.

I bought the CNNANT2009 maps first because I got a great deal on them and because I read this before buying my maps and Legend.

From http://gpsinformation.us/vistacolor/etrexvistacolor.html

"ROUTES and MAPS: Vista and Legend can upload ALL of Garmin's digital mapping products. A major new feature is the ability of both Legend Color and Vista Color to automatically generate a route from current location to a destination address input by the user WHEN either City Select or City Navigator digital maps are installed in the GPS. "

Since I can't return the CNNANT2009 maps I think I'm better putting the $100 for new Metroguide maps towards a used 60csx or Vista hcx.

Morale of my story. Dig further and don't believe all you read from one place. Lesson learned.

Oh well, it seems the Legend C is a good unit anyway, worth keeping for the $50US it cost me. I can always use it for caching and as a backup.