Paper vs. Paperless

Yankee Reb

We are just getting started with this and have not yet decided on what unit to purchase. One of the options we are considering is whether to go with a unit that will alow us to go paperless chaching. Is having this ability that helpful or important? How difficult is it to view all of the information on the unit vs. having paper? Looking for some thoughts... Thanks

Paperless!!

Even before I got my Oregon, I would load caches in an area I was going to into my PDA using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife ($25 to register, free to use) and Cache Mate ($10 to register, free to use, but only holds 10 caches...).

I had over 2400 caches loaded into my palm with room for more. To carry around the equivalent info on paper, I'd need 5 reams of paper.

5 reams of paper, ink/toner to print out the pages, binders to put it all into... You're talking a whole lot of money. For less, you can get a used PDA, probably right here in the forums!

Paperless!!

Even before I got my Oregon, I would load caches in an area I was going to into my PDA using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife ($25 to register, free to use) and Cache Mate ($10 to register, free to use, but only holds 10 caches...).

I had over 2400 caches loaded into my palm with room for more. To carry around the equivalent info on paper, I'd need 5 reams of paper.

5 reams of paper, ink/toner to print out the pages, binders to put it all into... You're talking a whole lot of money. For less, you can get a used PDA, probably right here in the forums!

GSAK.... ditto!

Cachemate....ditto!

You can buy a Palm CHEAP just about anywhere, and I mean for $15 - $30. I will never, ever, ever go back to caching with paper again!

Grigorii Rasputin

WWW.Glass-Cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com/

As you can see from above, once somebody has gone paperless, they never go back.

Now, for a complete paperless caching experience, the DeLorme PN-20 provides such:

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html

Everything you'll need is in the box. You will need neither additional software, such as GSAK or Cachemate, nor another piece of hardware, such as a PDA, to carry around.

As you can see from above, once somebody has gone paperless, they never go back.

Now, for a complete paperless caching experience, the DeLorme PN-20 provides such:

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html

Everything you'll need is in the box. You will need neither additional software, such as GSAK or Cachemate, nor another piece of hardware, such as a PDA, to carry around.

The above link gets you to one gps (PN-20) that allows you to go paperless without the PDA, all info can be stored on your gps.

others in that category are

Delorme PN 40 (latest) -eventually by what I understand in the works or it is done here's a blog ofthe firmware update on the pn 20 and the pn 40 http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/

Garmin Colorado

Garmin Oregon

Garmin 60csx - allows you so many characters not the whole paperless experience but would be a good model if you decided to go gps and PDA

Appreciate all the thoughts and advice.... But provokes another question: Are there units that combine the ability to go paperless or is using a separate PDA along with the GPS the way to go. Just wondering what most use.... Thanks.

I recently lost my 60csx and now I am wondering which of the above units to go to....been reading a lot of threads out there on it. Looking at a lot of links. Trying to find the right buy.

We have been using paper reports since we started a couple of months ago.

Tracy's brother has been paperless with his Garmin Nuvi 255w and I really like how it takes you to the cash area and you can look at the notes and stuff on it.

So, today I bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 on Walmart.com for $128. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10242292

Can't wait til it gets here.

I just upgraded my paperless outfit. I've been using my ipod touch and GPSr but missed the ability to use google maps/earth and the stronger searches of gc.com. I picked up an Acer Aspire One computer for under $300 to use as a dedicated caching machine. I can load it with as many caches as I want/need and update it whenever I get a wifi signal. It's small enough to toss in m bag and take where ever I go. Having a full sized computer has made a huge difference.

I just upgraded my paperless outfit. I've been using my ipod touch and GPSr but missed the ability to use google maps/earth and the stronger searches of gc.com. I picked up an Acer Aspire One computer for under $300 to use as a dedicated caching machine. I can load it with as many caches as I want/need and update it whenever I get a wifi signal. It's small enough to toss in m bag and take where ever I go. Having a full sized computer has made a huge difference.

So why can't you WIFI update with the WIFI within the IPOD touch?

I was looking at the IPOD touch today.

I use an ACER N30PDA for caching but actually prefer the handheld Etrex Cammo

as it doesn't suffer from 'cold kills battery' as much as the PDA.

Nick

I love paperless caching, when I would print out the sheets I wouldn't print out the last 5 logs and the hint if needed would have to be decrypted on site and in all kinds of weather. Now all of that info is a touch away. For me , it really is the only way to go!

Edited by Tup

I guess I am in the minority when I say I prefer paper caching over using a seperate PDA/ car GPS with GSAK info. I like having the paperwork in front of me so I can make notes about the cache and its location. I know you can do this with most GPS's but the entering of this info is time consuming. If I had the bucks to buy an Oregon or Colorodo I would go with that for a all-in-one unit but to carry two units around is a pain in the butt to me. I often look at the paperwork several times as I am approaching the cache and I drop the paperwork all of the time. To have both hands tied up with GPS's and having to look at the handheld and scroll through the Nuvi 2*** just doesn't work for me (I have tried it). It is a great system that is set up to allow you to do paperless caching but only if it is in one unit for me.

I guess I am in the minority when I say I prefer paper caching over using a seperate PDA/ car GPS with GSAK info. I like having the paperwork in front of me so I can make notes about the cache and its location.

The main problem (for me) about paper caching is that it requires some sort of planning and organization. With paperless, I can just (for example) fire up the Nuvi and search for caches nearby when I'm in a place and I have some free time. Or if I'm having a particularly good day and finished caching early (not very often) and want to look for more caches nearby.

The only way to go is paperless....I'll paste info on my GPS.

For a PDA we use Sony Clie' which I bought on ebay for around $40 ........I would get a spare for backup......Palm M500's work well and are even cheaper.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 8 , 6 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot ( a 2G card holds maps of every state in the U.S.), sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons,waterproff/floating ( split line case has O-ring gasket) quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend Streets and Destinations software works great with these...your maps can be loaded to multiple units, card swapped unit to unit etc. and can be had on ebay for $20 to $40....NO EXPENSIVE WEIRD MAP STUFF. Once you find a cache you can delete it from your map screen.

If I HAD to change it would be a Garmin 60 CSX hands down. Has above features plus color but screen is smaller and buttons WAY smaller plus expensive map hum-bug.

I guess I am in the minority when I say I prefer paper caching over using a seperate PDA/ car GPS with GSAK info. I like having the paperwork in front of me so I can make notes about the cache and its location. I know you can do this with most GPS's but the entering of this info is time consuming. If I had the bucks to buy an Oregon or Colorodo I would go with that for a all-in-one unit but to carry two units around is a pain in the butt to me. I often look at the paperwork several times as I am approaching the cache and I drop the paperwork all of the time. To have both hands tied up with GPS's and having to look at the handheld and scroll through the Nuvi 2*** just doesn't work for me (I have tried it). It is a great system that is set up to allow you to do paperless caching but only if it is in one unit for me.

I understand exactly what you are saying, I'm certainly not saying paper has no place but for me this is easier. Usually I refer to the pda when I'm close to the cache site (about 10 ft or so) to get any details I may have forgotten or need at that point. Also and again this is just me, I've gotten pretty good at doing my comments in the pda. The one thing I whole heartedly agree on is , I wish it was just one unit to carry. But I had no clue they were bringing out the oregon or the colorado, plus that's a bit much $$$$ for me to spend.

Edited by Tup

I love paperless caching, when I would print out the sheets I wouldn't print out the last 5 logs and the hint if needed would have to be decrypted on site and in all kinds of weather. Now all of that info is a touch away. For me , it really is the only way to go!

I usually do paperless caching, but when I'm out of my familiar area doing several I will use a "less paper" approach. I usually have my delorme took atlas with me. I also print out the google map cache overview for the area I plan to attack. I'll write the cache names in with a pen to prevent confusion.

I was using a palm tungsten with cachemate (but saw no use for GSAK). I had a cable that would allow me to plug it into the gps.

Now instead I have an iPhone 3g with the geocaching.com app, and still use my old Magellan sportrak. I like two separate units, and the app works anywhere with a cell signal. It's also faster than logging onto the web site to try and pull up a search.

I usually do paperless caching, but when I'm out of my familiar area doing several I will use a "less paper" approach. I usually have my delorme took atlas with me. I also print out the google map cache overview for the area I plan to attack. I'll write the cache names in with a pen to prevent confusion.

I was using a palm tungsten with cachemate (but saw no use for GSAK). I had a cable that would allow me to plug it into the gps.

Now instead I have an iPhone 3g with the geocaching.com app, and still use my old Magellan sportrak. I like two separate units, and the app works anywhere with a cell signal. It's also faster than logging onto the web site to try and pull up a search.