Geocaching is elitist!

gof1

Geocaching is supposed to be a fun hobby that anyone can enjoy. The dirty little secret is that it isn't so. Only those with computer access (with internet capabilities), a gps, and a way to get from cache to cache, can participate.

I think it is time that something be done about this inequity! The question is what? What should we do to provide justice to those who find themselves unfairly excluded.

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

(ignore the other id on this post)

Geocaching is supposed to be a fun hobby that anyone can enjoy. The dirty little secret is that it isn't so. Only those with computer access (with internet capabilities), a gps, and a way to get from cache to cache, can participate.

I think it is time that something be done about this inequity! The question is what? What should we do to provide justice to those who find themselves unfairly excluded.

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

Go to your local public library and search for Letterboxing - and have fun! Spread the word!

I remember a recent thread asking what was the bare minimum requirements for going caching. Among other things, I included a way to get to the cache.

Someone came along and pointed out that they walked/biked/whatever to the cache and didn't need transportation.

Using this logic, the "way to get from cache to cache" argument is debunked.

:laughing:Ok, ok! Walking/biking/etc IS a form of transportation, I know... :anibad:

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

YEAH! And I also heard Geocaching hates handicapped chinldren! :laughing:

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

YEAH! And I also heard Geocaching hates handicapped chinldren! :laughing:

Say it ain't so! Next thing you know it'll be found to be hazardous to hamsters!

We should all give away our GPSr's to the less fortunate!

But, you can't play golf without clubs and a golf ball, you can't play volleyball without a net and a ball. You can't play tennis without a racket. You can't scrapbook without photos and pretty papers and scissors. Every hobby has start up costs and at least geocaching doesn't take all that much to maintain (not counting Coins, TBs, the FANCIEST GPSr possible, which are all just perks!)

Geocaching is probably on the FREEest hobbies to start because:

Public Library Internet + Google Earth/Google Maps Satellite + Legs = FREE.

Hmmh, I have pondered the question over and over again. What is the answer to the time old situation that someone less fortunate than you cannot have something that is offered freely to them through generous donations of internet access, free web sites, and friends who have all the latest gadgets? I suppose we are elitist in that we are willing to share with our unfortunate neighbours, when the rest of the world will not, huh?

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

Concerned Citizen.

May I proudly state it is free!!

No secret there.

But I do like those other options and have them too.

You must have internet capability to be in here.

I got 2 legs,a horse and a few other modes of transportation all depending on how fast I wanna get there.

The only Justice is to find the nearest geocacher I am sure like me they will include you.

So get out there and find some caches.

When I’m filthy rich I will have a butler. My butler will go and get the caches and bring them to me for log-signing at my convenience, then return them to their hiding places.

Internet is for underlings. Bushwhacking is for servants.

Could someone freshen my drink, please, and bring me another pillow?

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

I agree, some people aren't smart enough to Geocache so those of us that do are elite. I suggest we invoke Darwin's Law for the rest. <_<

Edited by Airmapper

"Mr. President, we cannot allow a GPS gap!!!"

Guess what movie that's from (or kinda from) and win my undying admiration!!!

Google and IMDB has your undying admiration then. And I guess by undying, you *really* mean undying. Are you really born in 1869 or is that another fabrication like reports of your death?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=M...amp;btnG=Search

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/quotes

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

As you're the one "concerned", you need to give your GPS and computer to some needy person. As soon as possible.

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

As you're the one "concerned", you need to give your GPS and computer to some needy person. As soon as possible.

I did. But then I was in need so she gave it all back.

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

I think you should get with other like-minded individuals and gather around every lamp pole skirt lifter, every micro lover and every puzzle hunter......and shout.................

"YO MAMMA! YO MAMMA! YO MAMMA!"

But leave the Big Pile Of Sticks cachers alone!

:anibad:<_<:blink:

"Mr. President, we cannot allow a GPS gap!!!"

"Guess what movie that's from (or kinda from) .... "

Nailed it. And before I'd scrolled past your post.

But then again, it's one of my all-time fave greatest hits movies in the whole universe, EVAR!

"...and win my undying admiration!!!"

I can haz honrbul menshun?

~*

<_<:anibad::blink::mad::lol::D:D:D

Who needs any of that stuff to find the lamp post at wallyworld?

I have had Sunday mornings when I needed all that and more just to find Wally World let alone a particular lamp post in the parking lot.

One of our geocachers went ... well you know ... just went a little bit crazy ... just a little bit crazy in the head. And you know what he did? Well, I'll tell you what he did. He went and ordered his men to place a geocache on your property!!!

Careful when you hunt for it. I am behind on my chores, particularly cleaning up after the my eighty pound dog. He won't hurt you, but man those land mines are huge!

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

I think you should get with other like-minded individuals and gather around every lamp pole skirt lifter, every micro lover and every puzzle hunter......and shout.................

"YO MAMMA! YO MAMMA! YO MAMMA!"

But leave the Big Pile Of Sticks cachers alone!

:):D:)

Why? She already knows about caching and enjoys it. Thinks a well done urban micro is better than that see it from a hundred yards off pile of sticks hide.

Well, since you are premium memberf you are in with all us elitists. Although looking at your Avatar and recognizing the character (Grumpy) maybe this was a bad day.

Besides if we let the proleteriat in to our bourgeois entertainment it would be ruined. Let the great unwashed eat cake.

How would letting them in ruin the proletariat? And what kind of cake is it? I'm hungry.

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

YEAH! And I also heard Geocaching hates handicapped chinldren! <_<

And the vertically challenged!

Well, the closest one to me is 6.6 miles and it seems no one can find that one. So, in my area of the country, one needs some sort of transportation to get to them.

Let's see, I geocache with a GPS (2 actually, one for the car and one handheld one), use a Mac and drive a newer car. Guess that qualifies me as being an elitist, according to the posts here. Hmm, cool. Never thought that before.

Perhaps a $200000000 bailout of the geocaching industry is in order. We are too big to fail. <_<

Now I think we're on the right track! I have some spare time so I'll be happy to administrate that as soon as congress can send me a check.

Like Congress is gonna let it out of their .....*ahem*..... "control".

Minds me of when NC finally legalized the state lottery, using the guise of "Education" as the magic wand. Untold millions put into it (untold, seriously - nobody knows exactly how much has gone into it, much less where its gone) - and now several years later, the schools still haven't got their money, & at one point the fund was so broke they had to borrow money to print the next batch of tickets.

Gave rise to the saying, "Ain't nothing in this world more attractive to a politician than a big pile o' untended money." ~me

~*

Signed

A Concerned Citizen.

Why don't you offer computer access, a gps and a way to get from cache to cache to everyone who don't have it?

It's also a inequity that my wage isn't above 1500€, can you do something about it too? Please...

We're going at this all wrong. The answer is, we dumb-down the hobby of geocaching so that everyone can enjoy it. High technology is not for everyone. New rules:

Geocaches are not to be hidden. In your urban areas, where internet access is not so accessible, just place the geocache on the street corner.

All geocaches must be the same size - roughly the size of a Kleenex box. Placers of nanos obviously hate . . . well, they hate somebody. Trust me on this.

All geocaches must be painted bright orange. Again, there's a reason. And it has something to do with hate.

All the above will be enforced by passing a new amendment to the US constitution.

I gots one question re this whole thread.

Just how many sockpuppets does Vinny have?

OK, one more.

Anybody else thinkin' the tag "Vinny" might have sump'n to do with a grape product, & heavy indulgence thereof?

~*

One. "How many socks does his sock have?" THAT is the question!

I am very sad that Vinny was mentioned in this thread, for it bodes no good. Here is what eminent geocacher recently wrote on the topic of Vinny in a post sent to the Geocachers of the Bay Area (GBA) forum:

Allow me to chime in here for a moment as an amicus curiae, so to speak. I have met Vinny, and have had dealings with him, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that he is not to be trusted, that nothing he says is true. Further, although it is quite shameful, he admits freely and publicly that he signed a pact in blood at the age of five to assist the Four near-immortal Ancient Ones, bless their variegated calcified segmented exoskeletons, to achieve world domination and instill the New World Order on earth, and thus it is clear that he has a major "agenda" and it is also clear that he and The Four are not above using geoaching as a means to achieve their evil goal.

Couple that with Vinny's highly suspicious "research" work in the bizarre and shadowy realms of so-called time-space portals, aka interdimensional portals, and you have, I believe, one very sick puppy.

Trust nothing that he says, for he will surely lead you astray. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and a proven and "outed" disinformation agent known to be in the employ for the Illuminati, the CIA and the Inner Council of the Holy See at the Vatican. Lately, there have also been rumors of sinister connections with Freemasonry and the Illuminati, and the evil and shadowy Venona (shudder) as well. This does not bode well. <_<:anibad:

Geocaching is supposed to be a fun hobby that anyone can enjoy.

Hobby says it all.

No hobby is FREE.

Hobby? This is how i make a living.

You know good used ammo cans sell for $4-$5 each! Resale on McToys isn't too good tho.

GPSr, PC, Internet, Bandaids, Gas...all deductable.

Got a good used bridge for sale too.

<_<:anibad::blink: