Missing Coins and Bugs

RayRod

I live in Anacortes Washington and have noticed that many trackables are starting to come up missing in most area caches. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done if someone in the area has joined the game just to have access to caches only to steal them. Question is, can anything be done to stop this activity. I just don't think so and this is causing me to not want to drop anything off in this area. Any thoughts?

Kinda the same problem here in Alberta Canada. But the problem I have is I released my first coin ever and a fellow cacher picked it up 2 months ago and I have emailed the guy and got no response back. When I goto my account still shows in his possession. So is there anything we can do about this? Can Groundspeak contact the cacher that has possession of it? Its too bad cause too much of this is going to stop people from releasing bugs and coins into the wild. What are your guys or gals thoughts. Cant see why you would become a cacher just to go from cache to cache and steal coins and bugs. Not much you can do with them outside the game. :laughing:

Edited by nike_sens

Kinda the same problem here in Alberta Canada. But the problem I have is I released my first coin ever and a fellow cacher picked it up 2 months ago and I have emailed the guy and got no response back. When I goto my account still shows in his possession. So is there anything we can do about this? Can Groundspeak contact the cacher that has possession of it? Its too bad cause too much of this is going to stop people from releasing bugs and coins into the wild. What are your guys or gals thoughts. Cant see why you would become a cacher just to go from cache to cache and steal coins and bugs. Not much you can do with them outside the game. :laughing:

Two months is frustrating, but the hopeful thing to keep in mind is that at least he logged that he took it. Typically, at least around here, the thieves leave no logs or anything, the coins are just gone when the next cachers get there. Are they still actively caching? I have had a couple of trackables get picked up by new cachers who seemed to lose interest in the game right after they picked it up (just my luck). That is annoying but doesn't anger me like the outright theft does.

I live in Anacortes Washington and have noticed that many trackables are starting to come up missing in most area caches. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done if someone in the area has joined the game just to have access to caches only to steal them. Question is, can anything be done to stop this activity. I just don't think so and this is causing me to not want to drop anything off in this area. Any thoughts?

You will find that the cacher's living in relatively "theft free" areas are quite apathetic to this situation. Well, I think until their coins drift into our area and get stolen anyway. If it doesn't immediately affect them, then they don't really care and nothing should be done-It's a "personal problem". Sad but true :laughing:

Best to not release them in your area or put them in PM caches (not a guarantee either). Or request that they go from cacher to cacher and never see a cache, I have seen that as well and it seems to be working.

Hope that helps a little....

Edited for spelling...

Edited by burgessfour

Blame Canada.

:laughing:

I used to visit Anacortes to see the rock shows in Seattle. I didn't steal your coins though - it was in the 80's

Anyhow - to answer your question - it boils down to:

1) Don't release it if you can't stand to lose it

2) Drill it, deface it, make it less appealing

3) Tag it, bag it, make sure everyone knows it's supposed to move

4) PM cache it, puzzle cache it, place it in remote caches only

5) If it hasn't moved or been taken and note logged- change it's name to "STOLEN BY A LOW-LIFE: Coin #5432" - that prevents it from being "proudly" displayed or sold.

These threads all lead to the above few conclusions.

Caches are in public places and listed on a freely accessible public website. 1 thief can ruin the efforts of dozens of people that move items along.

Coins are very desirable to thieves.

I think anyone who has released coins (including me) can feel your pain and frustrations with losing coins. I released quite a few when I went up to GCF in Pittsburgh and (so far) most of them seem to be moving pretty well. I also had one that went missing for over a year and now has shown back up, so maybe sometimes theres hope.

Well this is funny 2 days after posting a complaint about my coin missing I got a email from a cacher saying they found it in a cache that didn't show it was there. So he picked it up dipped it into the cache he found it in and then retrieved it from the cache and is now moving it on. So ya I guess there is always hope. The funny thing is. The cache he found it in was placed by the cacher who had picked up my coin. Maybe he forgot to log he dropped it or still is too new to the game to know how to drop TB's and coins, although he did know how to retrieve it from the previous cache. ;) . Oh well I'm glad its been found and back on the trails.

I too have had a coin disappear. The unfortunate thing was it disappeared from the very first cache I put it in (and the cache is listed as a TB/Geocoin Inn). This was 6 months ago. I'm still hopeful that the coin will pop back into circulation. I may take Lemon Fresh Dog's advice and rename it STOLEN....that's a good one ;)

This is a problem no matter were the coins or bugs are. Some deliberate someby accident or unexperienced cachers. But it happens . I drill travellers. So they have no value on ebay And then if one of my coins go missing i try to see it as a complement that they just couldnt part with it. I have gifted a lot of coins locally so these are not much different. In the end if you cant bear to lose it. Then you should probally keep it. I do hate to lose traveller but its just a coin.

:D I too have been frustrated lately with TBs and GCs going missing in my own caches. (and in caches that I visit specifically for what it contains) I started a "bug drop" cache, and I personally put 4 items to be moved on and all 4 of them went missing. I understand that some people are new to the hobby and don't understand how to log them, or think they can be kept, or whatever reason they have.... but there is another darker side that Groundspeak needs to come up with a solution for.

The darker side being the "geocaching haters" out there. *gasp* Is it possible??! For someone to HATE geocaching?!! Apparently so... and without going on and on about it, I'll just say search it for yourself on google. Some people make it their mission to destroy any caches they find (and they are often members of Groundspeak and geocaching.com), steal collectibles and just overall do nasty things that ruin the fun for the rest of us.

I hope that somehow the website changes so that trackable items at least, can be protected. I don't know how, but I know there must be a way.

Here's to better luck with everyone's trackables....

I have several trackables out and when they go to your area they seem to get stuck for awhile going through cachers hands real slowly and not logged in and out of caches right.

They seem to appear again but they get stuck through trading situations it looks like.

Sad too say, But I'll not be releasing any more travel bugs or Geocoins - ever.

Every one that I have released has been stolen.

I have even taken the extra effort to release some of them in extremely remote places that require extra effort to get to. I've had brand new geocoins disappear instantly before the first find, and others that are taken , logged and never moved on. Emails to the thieves of record are never responeded to.

Travel bug tags seem to last a bit longer, but they have all been stolen sooner or later.

Some Geocachers with an apparent long list of finds and hides don't even have a way to contact them listed on Geocaching.com. Is it just a coincidence that everyone of the missing travellers has been last seen by an unlisted member?

Yup - the quality and integrity of geocaching is declining.

<the words that were here were removed by the moderator>

WA7CS

Carl

Edited by Eartha

What I find interesting is that in investigating a cacher that has hung on to one of my favorite coins who also never has answered any of my emails, I found that many other coins and bugs have disappeared either while they had the traveler or soon after. Several of the items have very low miles on them so they may have been picked up by this cacher soon after release. This is an experienced cacher with almost 3000 finds. Why would such an avid cacher feel the need to keep bugs and coins? I don't get it.

You will find that the cacher's living in relatively "theft free" areas are quite apathetic to this situation. Well, I think until their coins drift into our area and get stolen anyway. If it doesn't immediately affect them, then they don't really care and nothing should be done-It's a "personal problem". Sad but true :D

Best to not release them in your area or put them in PM caches (not a guarantee either). Or request that they go from cacher to cacher and never see a cache, I have seen that as well and it seems to be working.

Edited for spelling...

I live in a relatively theft free area, what exactly do you want us to do? Seriously, tell me.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You will find that the cacher's living in relatively "theft free" areas are quite apathetic to this situation. Well, I think until their coins drift into our area and get stolen anyway. If it doesn't immediately affect them, then they don't really care and nothing should be done-It's a "personal problem". Sad but true :D

Edited for spelling...

I live in a relatively theft free area, what exactly do you want us to do? Seriously, tell me.

Enjoy it :D

Edited for spelling...

Ok, thanks. I am quite sure the majority of cachers do care about the life of a traveler. It's a tough job to recover a bug from the very few who don't care.

Edited for spelling...

Ok, thanks. I am quite sure the majority of cachers do care about the life of a traveler. It's a tough job to recover a bug from the very few who don't care.

There has been such a rash of theft around here that at first I was very angry, but I have mellowed out and learned to accept the fact and put them in difficult, PM, or out of the area caches. Others around here are starting to catch on to that as well. Hopefully whoever is/are doing this will start to lose interest as the easy wells dry up.

Personally I don't think coins meet the Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic guidelines.

Don't make them collectible and don't release anything you aren't willing to lose.

Coins are cool. I'm truly not sure how to keep people from keeping them. Asking for honesty just ain't gonna happen in all cases.

Edited to add: In all cases.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Buy your Coins, take a Picture of the front and the back. Fold it or paste it together. Then Laminate it, but make sure others can see the ######s. So now what you have is your coins to keep and collect and if the Laminate one gets lost you can just make another one.

Heh heh heh -- FOAS, you're about to be hit with an enormous train of messages complaining about proxy coins. Do a forum search on "copies" or "proxy" and you'll see what I mean. Better get out your rain slicker and a sturdy umbrella, 'cause it's about to come down hard! ; )

For me, I'm not sure I'll ever release a coin (unless someone gifts it to me for the express purpose of releasing it). They're just so expensive. I know that people put a lot of effort (and expense) into travel bugs, but coins too collectable. It would break my heart to drill into one, though I understand why people do it.

If my Ox coins are produced, though, I'll probably release one with the goal of going to China or something. I'll add a buddy to it and some aircraft cable and we'll see what happens.

Otherwise, unless I come across coins that cost as much as Travel Bugs, I'll probably be very hesitant about releasing them...