Creating Virtual Caches

MuggleN0More

I would like to post a Virtual cache to geocaching.com but it does not have virtual as a cache type option. How do I do one then? :laughing:

Virtuals are a thing of the past. Actually turned them into waymarks over on the Waymarking site.

So how do I post them on waymaking.com? :anibad: I am not farmiliar on how to post anything on that site. Could someone walk me though it? :anibad: In the mean time I will see what i can find there myself when I have a chance.

Virtual caches have not been available for new listings on Geocaching.com since November 2005.

You can read about it in the Grandfathered section of the listing guidelines here

Creating a waymark is easy, learning to navigate the website takes some time. If there is an existing category for your virtual, you'll find submitting it to be an easy process.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Thank you to all of you for the information. I have enjoyed doing a virtual and was hoping to make a few more in our area. I guess I will have to scrap that idea :anibad: . I may try my hand at Waymarking but not right now. Once again, thank you. <_<

"Carol" of

MuggleN0More

You could do both. Make it a multi cache or a puzzle cache where you go to your 'Virtual' location and use the information from a sign etc. to get the final coords.

Thank you to all of you for the information. I have enjoyed doing a virtual and was hoping to make a few more in our area. I guess I will have to scrap that idea :anibad: . I may try my hand at Waymarking but not right now. Once again, thank you. <_<

"Carol" of

MuggleN0More

There is Waymarking of course, but there are three alternative geocaching websites that still accept virtual caches in the U.S.; two of them have almost zero presence in California, and no one would probably visit it ever. :blink: However, Terracaching.com seems like another viable alternative for you.

I would like to post a Virtual cache to geocaching.com but it does not have virtual as a cache type option. How do I do one then? :laughing:

Virtuals are a thing of the past. Actually turned them into waymarks over on the Waymarking site.

So how do I post them on waymaking.com? :rolleyes: I am not farmiliar on how to post anything on that site. Could someone walk me though it? :anibad: In the mean time I will see what i can find there myself when I have a chance.

You can't do it directly. You can create a category, then people who find things that match your category will have created the equivalent of a virtual. Conversely if you have a virtual and would like to make a waymark (the equivalent of finding something that matches a category) you have to see if someone has created the category that matches your virtual idea. If they have then you submit your waymark for approval, then when they approve it, and I suppose your means and methods of logging a visit (as opposed to a find) then you can look forward to less visits than you would have had finds on your virtual had this site still accepted virtual caches.

The easiest way to have your virtual ignored is to list it on another site that still accepts virtual caches.

You can't do it directly. You can create a category, then people who find things that match your category will have created the equivalent of a virtual. Conversely if you have a virtual and would like to make a waymark (the equivalent of finding something that matches a category) you have to see if someone has created the category that matches your virtual idea. If they have then you submit your waymark for approval, then when they approve it, and I suppose your means and methods of logging a visit (as opposed to a find) then you can look forward to less visits than you would have had finds on your virtual had this site still accepted virtual caches.

One of the reasons I have absolutely no interest in Waymarking. It's demeaning enough to be judged by TPTB, but over there you have to please some random person too.

I once wanted to make 56 waymarks. General Henry Knox passed through that many towns, 30 in New York and 26 in Massachusetts to bring some cannon from Fort Ticoneroga to Bunker Hill.

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services/KnoxTra...tlocations.html

A few years ago I had spent the time to geo-locate the 26 markers in Mass. But at that time there was no category where those would fit. Other close categories had real u34iw running them. I could not figure out how to make categories of my own. I've never been back to Waymarking.com since, well perhaps once or twice actually.