Question on Geocoin popularity

Lemon Fresh Dog

Forgive me if this has been asked - I've been away for awhile, so maybe some of the folks that have been consistently active here can answer this one.

Are goeocoins still as popular as ever, or is their popularity starting to fade?

The reason I ask is that I think from my brief observation that things are "settling" down (which I think is a good thing), and geocoins may actually be moving from something that people steal towards just another part of the geocaching "landscape".

Has their popularity reached the point where they now get better travel mileage?

Are goeocoins still as popular as ever, or is their popularity starting to fade? Difficult to know without knowing actual numbers, mint runs are typically 250 now, but then there are a lot more coins being produced, there are also a lot more geocachers than ever before - but it's still hard to sell 250 coins unless the design is spectacular. There will always be a core of enthusiasts, there will be those that lose interest, and there will always be newcomers who will start out with enthusiasm and either become one of the core of enthusiasts or they will eventually lose interest. Serious collecting is difficult now for newcomers as they have too much to catch up on.

The reason I ask is that I think from my brief observation that things are "settling" down (which I think is a good thing), and geocoins may actually be moving from something that people steal towards just another part of the geocaching "landscape". Nah - IMO that is just wishful thinking, the more widely known this sport becomes the greater the risk to travellers, be they coins or travelbugs. Whilst growth can be a positive thing it can sadly also have a negative effect.

Has their popularity reached the point where they now get better travel mileage? See above.

I think that the economy has slowed things down a little.

For me anyway.

I am still as interested as I was when I found my very first geocoin.

But have had to like so many others cut back due to budget constraints.

I do not think the geocoin frenzy is over yet though.

Same aspect applies to them moving it has slowed down on geocaching logs as well and not as many are out there right now.

So that is my theory.

The economy is going down the tubes so will extraneous spending. If geocaching continues to hang around then eventually the economy will turn around and people will want some of those older geocoins. I think it may be like your 401K. All these folks selling all their coins off cheap right now probably need the money pretty bad, but those who ride it out will have a better return later on their investment or their kids will. I agree with AG, just buy the ones you really want not every one that is made.

Edited by larry739