Trading activated coins

Lemon Fresh Dog

Here's a question for discussion.

I've just done my new personal coin and plan to activate about 80% of them under my own name. I'm going to do the "traditional" mission of move it, keep it, etc - and place many into caches as I travel around.

That said, I also plan to do some face-to-face only trading as a cool way of getting coins from cachers I meet.

So....what's the question?

If you are trading your personal, trackable coin for another cacher's personal trackable coin - do you want it activated?

I've been thinking that I actually prefer it when another cacher activates their coin and set's their mission as "Traded with Lemon Fresh Dog". It shows as "their" coin, but I get to keep it as I traded for it.

Would it bother you if someone traded you for their coin and it was activated?

(obviously, I'm not for trading someone's coin that is activated for travel!)

I've just done my new personal coin and plan to activate about 80% of them under my own name. I'm going to do the "traditional" mission of move it, keep it, etc - and place many into caches as I travel around.

That said, I also plan to do some face-to-face only trading as a cool way of getting coins from cachers I meet.

If you are trading your personal, trackable coin for another cacher's personal trackable coin - do you want it activated?

I've been thinking that I actually prefer it when another cacher activates their coin and set's their mission as "Traded with Lemon Fresh Dog". It shows as "their" coin, but I get to keep it as I traded for it.

Well, owning a coin which is activated (and still in the name of) both Moun10Bike and Jeepn Jumpers, I would say it would be fine with me! I would actually love to get one! Not to mention, I might just happen to have a few personals available soon!! New personals...lol

Well, I wouldn't mind if a coin I trade for is activated (if it has got an individual story with many logs it would be even more special for me), but I would like to adopt such coins. As long as someone else is the registered owner of the coin, it's not mine...

Well, I wouldn't mind if a coin I trade for is activated (if it has got an individual story with many logs it would be even more special for me), but I would like to adopt such coins. As long as someone else is the registered owner of the coin, it's not mine...

Yipes!

I don't think you should trade for coins that have been activated for travelling. When I say activated, I mean activated and owned by the person that you are trading with.

my personal preference would be for an activated coin that is then adopted to me at the time of the trade.

I don't quite understand the whole "it's more valuable if it's never been activated" thing. If someone thinks a coin is going to be somehow in more pristine condition just 'cause it's never been activated, well, I've gotten some pretty banged-up unactivated coins.

Knowing the history of a coin makes it more valuable to me.

there... my 2 cents.

my personal preference would be for an activated coin that is then adopted to me at the time of the trade.

I certainly agree with that

I don't quite understand the whole "it's more valuable if it's never been activated" thing.

Me niether, unless I plan to activate it myself, which will be the case with most coins that stay in my collection

If someone thinks a coin is going to be somehow in more pristine condition just 'cause it's never been activated, well, I've gotten some pretty banged-up unactivated coins.

I paid good money for one that ends up with a very deep gouge, unactivated

Knowing the history of a coin makes it more valuable to me.

there... my 2 cents.

I'll See your $.02...

and Raise you my $.02---->It really bugs me that there's no Cents symbol on a QWERTY keyboard!!!

Yipes!

I don't think you should trade for coins that have been activated for travelling. When I say activated, I mean activated and owned by the person that you are trading with.

Of course I would only trade a coin with the owner of the coin! I thought that was so clear I didn't need to mention it!

:laughing:

I've been thinking of a very similar idea with my NEXT Personal Coin. Activate all the regular editions, and Drop/Trade/Gift them with the option to adopt.

Special Collectors Edition, available for Sale/Trade/Gift not activated

Extra Special (AE?)Edition to Trade/Gift/Donate (Face to Face, or by Proxy only) Unactivated

Notice that none of these are called Limited Edition.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I would prefer to own the coin, either by adoption or it being unactivated when I receive it. I do activate all my coins, so I don't care if it is activated when I receive it.

Of course, I have a few coins in my collection that I don't own like my CCC, and one of my volunteer coins, and one of my lackey coins, and I cherish each of them!

I guess I'm in the minority here in my thinking.... unless it's a M10B coin (because he obviously has so many people wanting his coins), I would not want to trade my unactivated, trackable coin for your activated coin. There is a piece of me that questions why someone other than M10B (for obvious reasons) needs to activate their coins prior to trading? Is it a control issue... can the other person activate theirs too, to even the trading out...if you want to save some for trading, why not let the other person do what they wish with the coin? Just not quite understanding the thought process behind it.

I will probably be activating all of them and dropping them, available to adopt(so if you want one of the RE, you'll have to go find one)but I might end up in a place where I want to trade with someone. I would expect the Coin I get in return would also be activated(or untrackable). Why would someone want to trade for a Coin I have already activated...So that they don't have to make a long journey to find one in the wild. Of course this discussion may influence how I handle these. They are still only an idea anyway. I just really like the idea of there being a version that can only be found in the wild.

I'll See your $.02...

and Raise you my $.02---->It really bugs me that there's no Cents symbol on a QWERTY keyboard!!!

Oh dear..... I guess you mean that cents symbol with a line through it....

No problem, here in NZ, and other parts of the world too......

we use a simple "c" to notate cents....

Try it - - - - we will understand.

I have activated several coins and sent them into the world as gifts for friends or family across the country and then sent them free with a mission to travel to the receiver of the gift. One such coin (to Tooey) has come up missing, another made it to its destination (and was picked up by my family) and a few more are still on the move. A friend has also done the same for me, and the coin they set free just recently made it within 20 miles of my house. The intent is also that they will be adopted over to the gift reciever.

If the coin is part of a greater story like this, and adopted out, I like that it is activated. If the coin were just part of a trade, and not planning to travel, then I don't see the point in activating it and would prefer it be unactivated.

I know that I would not mind trading activated coins.

I have a few Oldies for sure that I have more than 1 activated.

1 question I have is Personal (If I designed and was a part of the coin)is that Personal?

Is It one I personally paid for all of?

I think there is no difference between them as far as some of the Personals being sold to help recoupe costs.

There is also the case where many have paid for the whole lot and activate as such.

Just some thoughts.

Well, owning a coin which is activated (and still in the name of) both Moun10Bike and Jeepn Jumpers, I would say it would be fine with me! I would actually love to get one! Not to mention, I might just happen to have a few personals available soon!! New personals...lol

Ahh, Roddy, that is so cool, I'm so happy for ya, buddy! I take it you're going through that vendor program we were talking about, the same one that I went through to get mine done? He runs a great program and it's so nice to be able to get your coin done without out of pocket expenses and getting a few traders, to boot!!

Go Rod!

Naomi :laughing:

In terms of my thought process (and my intention with my latest coin).

1) I activate mine

2) You activate yours

3) I give you one of mine when we meet face-to-face

4) You give me one of yours when we meet face-to-face

5) We each enjoy having the coins in our collection - no adoption etc.

I actually prefer others to activate their coins (when they are trackable), prior to trading with me. To each their own though. I'm just posing the question here on folks preferences/ideas.

I suppose one benefit/detriment (depending on viewpoint), is that activated coins in someone else's name are much less "commercial" - at least to my way of seeing it. They are less likely to be traded for by someone planning on reselling them.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog