UTF-8 on Colorado

sTeamTraen

I've got my builder to the stage where I can display pretty well any UTF-8 character on the emulator, and I presume that will work OK for the Pocket PC too, except I don't have a PDA. :laughing:

The Colorado seems to be different. It doesn't like UTF-8 but the Wherigo player will display single-byte ISO 8859-1 accented characters (basically: French, German, Spanish, and a few others).

However, the Colorado does display some UTF-8 accented characters in other places. For example, in the language menu, one of the options is "Česky" (Czech), and that uppercase C with a little saucer on it (sorry Czech people, I don't know the proper name for that accent) is a UTF-8 character - but maybe it's a graphic. So does anyone have access to the Colorado OEM software development manual?

From what I've seen while browsing the Colorado's file system, most or all labels come from a language file. I'll look into that file and post more about it later. I believe that's where the Colorado is getting its accented characters from.

I wonder if it's the Garmin Player itself that has problems displaying those characters?

From what I've seen while browsing the Colorado's file system, most or all labels come from a language file. I'll look into that file and post more about it later. I believe that's where the Colorado is getting its accented characters from.

Yes, after making my post I looked at the Czech language file and it's a UTF-8 text file with XML tags. So the Colorado can do UTF-8, apparently. That then makes you wonder why anyone went to the trouble of programming 8859-1 support, especially since that's then incompatible with the PPC. :laughing: