Canadian Benchmarks

cwelt

OK, don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is the site. I KNOW there are Canadian benchmarks out there, some people I know have found them, but when doing a search on the site it comes up with none in the area. Any ideas as to why Canadian Benchmarks don't appear to show up in searches on the site??

OK, don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is the site. I KNOW there are Canadian benchmarks out there, some people I know have found them, but when doing a search on the site it comes up with none in the area. Any ideas as to why Canadian Benchmarks don't appear to show up in searches on the site??

HI Cwelt,

A while ago I was wondering the same thing although I had found a benchmark and wanted to log it. I researched the page on Benchmarks and found the following sentence:

If the benchmark is in Canada, you can log it in the Canadian Benchmarks category in Waymarking.

I don't know why Canadain benchmarks are not included on the Geocaching.com site but at least you know where you could go to find a listing - Waymarking.com.

I don't bother logging them on Waymarking though because I found it difficult to figure out for some reason... maybe I was having a moment but I have not gone back since. I just make note of the benchmarks that I find on my geocaching profile.

Hope that helps. And if you find out anything else please let me know. I would be interested.

The US benchmark records are in a freely accessible database. The Canadian benchmark records are also in a freely accessible database here, but it requires the searcher to obtain a free log in to view the records. Under Groundspeak rules, anything to do with a search (in the geocaching category) must be from a site that allows anonymity. Therefore, the PTB has chosen to only allow benchmarks searchable by the US database.

If you want to search the database for Canada, the government site is HERE.

The US benchmark records are in a freely accessible database. The Canadian benchmark records are also in a freely accessible database here, but it requires the searcher to obtain a free log in to view the records. Under Groundspeak rules, anything to do with a search (in the geocaching category) must be from a site that allows anonymity. Therefore, the PTB has chosen to only allow benchmarks searchable by the US database.

If you want to search the database for Canada, the government site is HERE.

I don't think it has anything to do with "Groundspeak Rules" and anonymity, but the license agreement when you access the data, of whom would be Groundspeak adding it to the geocaching.com site as a redistribution site of the data as indicated from this long ago thread.

How about Canadian Benchmarks?

If you look at post 15 in this tread

Canadian Bench Marks

Access was granted but never provided properly. Since that time, the focus has been set to Waymarking and has been set up there for Canadian Benchmarks. If you do a search in the forums, there are a number of treads throughout concerning Canadian Benchmarks.

I don't think it has anything to do with "Groundspeak Rules" and anonymity, but the license agreement when you access the data, of whom would be Groundspeak adding it to the geocaching.com site as a redistribution site of the data as indicated from this long ago thread.

I stand corrected! Thank you for the clarification, Cache-tech.

Benchmarks are far better suited to Waymarking than Geocaching, and one can do a much better job of describing them using the services found there. Especially when you consider the photo aspect and that the data as entered by GPS users seems much more accurate than what is found in the US Benchmarks on Geocaching which varying considerably.

But, I am afterall more than a little biased :laughing:

:anibad: BQ

Don't forget, if you are close to the USA border you should be able to find logable benchmarks on our side.

Here in Ontario along the St. Lawrence Seaway there are many US benchmarks on our side.

If you need an assist in finding them in your rovince just email me offline.

Binrat

Ah, Waymarking. I guess the thought is that if it keeps getting shoved down our throats eventually someone will start doing it. :-)

In the same way that people keep saying "Bring back Virtuals" might get them somewhere :laughing: Meanwhile over 17% of all listings across Groundspeak's family of sites are Waymarks and growing. But you feel free to keep enjoying those key holders under lampskirts and in guardrails :anibad:

Oh I'm just teasing, I happen to enjoy a wide variety and not everyone does. There's lame in each game, but I love them all the same. What a poet eh?

But seriously, I can point out great things easily Featured Waymarks which I think are pretty cool

:anibad: BQ