Geocaching Knives

SG One

I love the Gerber BMF and wish they hadn't discontinued them.

I didn't realize how high the price has gone on these. I just poked around Ebay, and it's downright crazy. I think I paid $120 for mine, about 10 years ago. It's been seriously abused, (as has every knife I've owned), but it survived everything I could throw at it. I did pick up a tiny chip along the edge of the blade when I used it as a hatchet to split a deer pelvis, and I chipped one of the teeth along the saw edge hacking through the door of a Chevy Nova.

Sometimes I see a bucket of knifes at filling stations for a dollar and they have a super sharp cerraded edge and are small and very light. They are good quality knives that you don't mind abusing if you need to. Anyway I buy several and spread them around - car, back-back - kitchen drawer, desk at work. They work good!

Same here. If I lose it, no big deal - only a buck!

(edit: spelling)

Edited by KG1960
I love the Gerber BMF and wish they hadn't discontinued them.

I didn't realize how high the price has gone on these. I just poked around Ebay, and it's downright crazy. I think I paid $120 for mine, about 10 years ago. It's been seriously abused, (as has every knife I've owned), but it survived everything I could throw at it. I did pick up a tiny chip along the edge of the blade when I used it as a hatchet to split a deer pelvis, and I chipped one of the teeth along the saw edge hacking through the door of a Chevy Nova.

Yeah the prices have gone way up. A friend of mine got one awhile back and let me use it on a hunting trip. That's where I got hooked. The only one's that are reasonably priced have gotten some serous use. I have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. For all I know they could have been like the people on my camping trip this weekend and used their knives as fire pokers. I always keep eye out though. Also for an M6 Scout folding Survival rifle/shotgun (also discontinued).

Old beat up Gerber multitool. Never cared for the Leatherman for some reason. I keep meaning to take a look at all that Leatherman makes these days but the Gerber keeps on ticking.
I carry a Leatherman, but only because they improved upon their grips. The original Leatherman had some relatively uncomfortable edges to grip if you were using the pliers. Gerber had the slideout pliers from the start, which made for a more comfortable grip.

Kit-fox, thats a nice kit you have there. Hope you don't mind that I borrowed a few ideas for my kit.

Added to my kit but not pictured:

MSR Pocket Rocket Stove + Titanium Kettle

1 Mountain House dehydrated dinner

Katadyn Vario Water Filtration System

Bear Spray + homebrew holster

1 small roll of double sided velcro

1 5'x7' tarp

Carbon fiber trekking poles (retired the old ones)

3 pack of dry sacks (water proof storage bags)

20' 6mm rope

1 additional firestarting rod/magnesium stick.

1 set of boot gaiters.

1 medium weight set of thermal long underwear

1 watchcap

And the best investment yet, a set of Superfeet Green insoles.

Nice Kit! Almost identical to the one that I carry. I carry enough food for two days and 100 ft of repelling rope.

Hey CAV, Where are you buying your figure 8's. I need to get a couple of those for my kits.

Kershaw Needs Work.

I take this with me hiking. This thing really does flip open like a switchblade! I don't own many knives, so I have nothing to compare it to. Reviewed on Outside.away.com.

kershaw-needs-work.jpg

"A pivot fin along the back, assisted by an internal tension rod, lets you open this utility knife like a switchblade, fast and with a flick of the finger. kershawknives.com"

Edited by Jaebird82

Lost my little Gerber pocket knife on a kayaking trip so I replaced that with a Gerber Clutch, awesome tiny lightweight multi-tool...

gerber_clutch.jpg

And when we're trekkin' in the woods I always have my Gerber Titanium Drop Point Skinner on my belt... nicest feeling knife I've ever owned.

Profile_Fine_Edge_Drop_Point.jpg

.... nice enough to back track thru a couple miles of active wild hog country at dusk in the middle of nowhere by myself because I stupidly left it at a cache site :laughing: