Geocaching Knives

SG One

One thing I learned quickly was that a pocket knife is an invaluable tool for caching. Since knife collecting is another hobby of mine I'm curious to hear about what other cachers are using.

Currently I carry a Leatherman k500x folder. It's a no frills kind of knife, but the 154CM steel makes up to the lack of aesthetic appeal. This knife has stood up to a lot with very little maintenance. It really comes in handy for the many spider webs we get down here.

For wilderness caching I carry a USMC Ka-Bar or a Ka-Bar Warthog both are work horses that have taken everything I could throw at them.

The other tool I always have is my Leatherman Blast. Although this one has many uses its main function it to get the logs out of poorly thought out containers. I also use it to get caches out of the dark holes where many caches are hidden. Down here we have black widows, brown recluses and several kinds of poisonous snakes.

I carry a few knives in my gear bag.

Gerber LMF II

Shrade "Uncle Henry" LB5

Shrade "Old Timer"

Gerber Multi-tool

I also carry a blade holder with multiple razor blades. The last item is reserved for skinning/butchering tasks.

My list of items has increased by about ten items since this picture was taken.

th_Gear.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

Wow, you guys carry a lot more than I do! I usually carry a ballpoint pen, a Ziploc bag with a few trade swag items, and a flashlight. Pretty much, I carry my entire caching setup in a hip-pouch, makes it easy to cache on a bicycle that way. Never really needed a knife on a cache hunt, but I've never really attempted a high-difficulty terrain rating yet, either. Maybe I'll toss my Leatherman in that hip-pouch, couldn't hurt.

Gerber LMF II

Shrade "Uncle Henry" LB5

Shrade "Old Timer"

Gerber Multi-tool

I also carry a blade holder with multiple razor blades. The last item is reserved for skinning/butchering tasks.

My list of items has increased by about ten items since this picture was taken.

th_Gear.jpg

For regular caching, I have my Spyderco Police Model clipped to my pocket. For extreme locations, I have my Gerber BMF affixed to my backpack. Deep inside my backpack is my Leatherman multitool.

Kit-fox, thats a nice kit you have there. Hope you don't mind that I borrowed a few ideas for my kit.

Mr. Riffster, all I can say is I envy you. I love the Gerber BMF and wish they hadn't discontinued them. I have found a few for prices too high to be used as a survival tool (at least for my budget). Needless to say its been on my wish list for quite awhile.

Wow, you guys carry a lot more than I do! I usually carry a ballpoint pen, a Ziploc bag with a few trade swag items, and a flashlight. Pretty much, I carry my entire caching setup in a hip-pouch, makes it easy to cache on a bicycle that way. Never really needed a knife on a cache hunt, but I've never really attempted a high-difficulty terrain rating yet, either. Maybe I'll toss my Leatherman in that hip-pouch, couldn't hurt.

Even if it didn't have a knife a Leatherman is still a great thing to have. I would definatly still carry one.

I've always had a folder on my belt, of clipped into a pocket, I have many different ones, and change them from time to time. I also always have a tiny Vitorinox on my keyring. I don't know how to get through the day without that one. I probably have it in use 20-50 times every day.

The one on my belt right now is called "Bullwhip" by Cutco. I've had that since 2001, and I love it.

I've always had a folder on my belt, of clipped into a pocket, I have many different ones, and change them from time to time. I also always have a tiny Vitorinox on my keyring. I don't know how to get through the day without that one. I probably have it in use 20-50 times every day.

The one on my belt right now is called "Bullwhip" by Cutco. I've had that since 2001, and I love it.

WOW, I knew someone who used to sell Cutco, so I was aware that it was a good knife, and at $20 brand new at the pawn shop, I knew it was a good price, but I had no idea how much they sell for. I just saw one on Ebay listed with a buy it now price of $105. Mine is not serreted like that one.

Sometimes I see a bucket of knifes at filling stations for a dollar and they have a super sharp cerraded edge and are small and very light. They are good quality knives that you don't mind abusing if you need to. Anyway I buy several and spread them around - car, back-back - kitchen drawer, desk at work. They work good!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Kit-fox, thats a nice kit you have there. Hope you don't mind that I borrowed a few ideas for my kit.

Added to my kit but not pictured:

MSR Pocket Rocket Stove + Titanium Kettle

1 Mountain House dehydrated dinner

Katadyn Vario Water Filtration System

Bear Spray + homebrew holster

1 small roll of double sided velcro

1 5'x7' tarp

Carbon fiber trekking poles (retired the old ones)

3 pack of dry sacks (water proof storage bags)

20' 6mm rope

1 additional firestarting rod/magnesium stick.

1 set of boot gaiters.

1 medium weight set of thermal long underwear

1 watchcap

And the best investment yet, a set of Superfeet Green insoles.

Edited by Kit Fox

I have an "Old Timer" That I got from my dad who got it from his dad

I constantly carry 2 identical Schrade "Old Timer"s in my pocket. One has a broken tip and everytime I happen to open that blade it reminds me not to abuse my blades. The only waking hours I have gone without them was when I had to fly.

A little three-blade pocket knife $10 at HomeDepot. It's done me well. Long narrow blade is good for digging out nano logs, and probing the ground for benchmarks. Smaller blade is good for prying. Sharp enough for whatever I need. I don't need no stinking corkscrew! :D

If someone leaves a bottle of Merlot in the cache (and you must dispose of it, of course) YOU ARE (un-)SCREWED!

Yes, also good for the earwax!

And

well

nevermind.

I carry all kinds of stuff and never the same thing every time I go out. It all depends on the terrain and area. I always have my USMC issue bayonet I recieved from the 2nd MEF when in Iraq and a American made Army issue Benchmade autoblade. These knives have been proven themselves during deployments.

Pictured here is just some of what I carry. First aid stuff is just bandaids. Gun is legally registered

IMG_3053.jpg

I have a drawer full of knives for every occasion.

I have carried my Gerber Gator Serrator for over 20 years. It's always with me if not in my pocket.

46079.jpg

I totaled my Snoogmobile and before I let my wife cart me off to the ER in her car I rescued it from the door pocket. Never leave a buddy behind. :)

Lately I have carried a Gerber Serrated Mini-Fast Draw.

524729_oi.jpg

I also have a Gerber Multi-Plier handy at all times.

Gerber-multi-plier-400-compact-sport-black-large-5509.gif

In the UK we are not allowed to own or carry guns so this has resulted in most of our murders being comitted with knives. We are now no longer permitted to carry knives. For posession of a knife we can be arrested with little possibility of bail and can expect a prison sentence. They are intending to increase the term to a 5 year mandatory sentence. I no longer carry a knife.

I also was a bush league blade collector for a good while. That aside, I've 'toted' nearly all my life....somethin' Papa once said about any good man's gonna have a knife in his pocket. As such, I'm prone to have at least a couple, stuffed in this pocket or that, & never gave it a 2nd thught as to just how many I do have on me at any given moment. That is, until one day I had to travel back to my home town to get a copy of my Birth Certificate for some legal stuff I was doing. The Register of Deeds office happens to be at the county's district courthouse....and I come marching in unawares & just inside the main entrance is a walk-thru metal detector, manned by 3 very hefty sheriff's deputies. One of 'em shoved a small basket towards me & ordered me to empty my pockets.

Long story short - on that particular day I had 6 on me! And from the reaction I drew, I guess I'm lucky I didn't wind up in handcuffs. You'd a-thought I had charged thru the door waving a Nazi flag & screaming "Revolucion!!" Needless to say I had to trek the near-mile back across the parking lot in 103º heat to where I's parked....empty my pockets & do another mile back & try again. By the time I passed thru their defensive perimeter again, I's so soaked with sweat I looked like I'd fell in a swimming pool. Then dang near froze to death standing in line a half hour in the Registrar's office in their 'Strato-Freeze' theatre-duty air conditioning.

Lessons learnt the hard way!

Pictured here is just some of what I carry. First aid stuff is just bandaids. Gun is legally registered

Re the pistola. I'm also a shooter. Your pic reminds me of gettin' asked about my .45 (not at the court house, thank God!) "That's a Colt 45, ain't it?" "Yep." "Why you carryin' a 45?" "Cause they don't make a 46."

Nome seine?

~*

The CRKT M16-13Z is a great knife. I used one for a while before I got the Leatherman K500x. I have the exact one you mentioned. The steel is soft, but it stands up to the elements very well. After a dip in the ocean it only had some surface rust. Corrosion is the down side of the harder steels including stainless. One thing I found with the M16 is that the internals could be full of sand or dirt and it would still open one handed. I also loved that I could take it apart for serous cleaning. It's a great choice for caching. Plus if it were lost the price is low enough that it's not the end of the world.

Edited by SG One

Mini swiss army knife (tweezers are sometime handy) is what I have in my pocket everyday. Then I usually have a cheap folder for caching. Cheap in case I loose it.

Most of the time I carry just a GPS and a pen. But if I go further out of town, I carry my cache bag with an assortment of stuff.

th_Gear.jpg

Now THAT is a serious backwoods caching pack! Okay, you motivated me.... My wife bought me a beautiful Camel Back for my B-day. Some people might say you are way overpacked. However, we have have some huge parks / wilderness areas where you definitely could get hurt and nobody would find you.

You've just given me an idea for my geocaching blog!

Pete

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

Gerber, then end all be all for me :)

I have dozens of knives, but all my GO TO knives are Gerber.

All my kitchen knives are Gerber, too. Took me a few years to get them all (expensive, but worth it), but I don't think they make them anymore now.

Gerber kitchen knives!?!? Wow those must be some serous knives. I picture steak knives with Gator Grip. Gerber makes a good knife.

A Gerber Leatherman!!!! Talk about an all purpose tool! I'm sorry, but it gives the venerable Swiss Army Knife a run for its money!!!

Cache Safe,

Pete

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

I hope I don't start a war, but I have to agree. My Victronox explorer was good to me, but I was always afraid of breaking it when tightened down on a screw. The Leatherman feels more sold not to mention the full size pliers are handy.