Verizon & Geocaching

Seeker625

They sure don't. I have no trouble reaching the wap page from my Verizon phone and gettin cache info, but nothing else is happening unless it comes through Get It Now (or Media Center, I think it's called now). There are ways to add one's own ringtones and the like but not apps. (Well, there are some apps that can be added but it's not for the faint of heart.) They need to run under Brew and it's pretty tightly locked down. My understanding too, is that Verizon uses triangulation from the towers for its navigation program. It works well enough if you are on their system, but it craps out big time if you go onto another system. No satellite readings, just towers. I crossed northern Texas and Oklahoma this summer on vacation, was on "extended network" the whole way and my Verizon navigation program froze up on the last Big Red tower it saw. As to what you could do from the new Blackberries that are coming out, I can't really say, but I'll bet they'll have that locked up too. Hop on over to www.howardforums.com for a great deal of info on the subject and all things cell phone.

hairball

Edited by hairball45

I forget where in the forums this discussion is but there's a whole thread on using the Verizon Blackberry with a GPS "puck" and Geocache Navigator. I have a Freedom 2000 bluetooth GPS unit that connects to the Blackberry and then I use GC Navigator (the AT&T version) and it works just fine. There are a few "blips" now and then - like GCN sometimes tells me that I don't have a valid license when I do but the "fix" is simply to restart the app. Sometimes too, I have trouble connecting the Bluetooth and I almost always have trouble if I try connecting any other type of BT device. If you search the forums on Blackberry or even GPS puck, you might find the whole discussion. Good luck and happy caching. (Oh and before I forget, the accuracy is pretty close to my Garmin Etrex Vista HCsx.)

I dumped Verizon as my cell carrier almost a year ago, and couldn't be happier with the decision. I should have been tipped off much earlier, when I found out their only solution for getting my pictures off my phone and onto my PC was through some on-line service you had to pay extra for. I bought a 3rd party data cable off the 'net, and used a program called BitPim to gain access to the phone's file directory.

My current Palm/Sprint pairing is much less restrictive.

I've had Verizon for almost 15 years and couldn't be happier.

To get my pictures, I just take the memory card out, put it into an adaptor & plug into the computer. Before I had a phone that had a memory card, I just did a picture message to my email.

As far as any caching applications, it would be through the Media Center / Get It Now. My concern would be the GPSr in the phone its self. Previously I had Verizon Navigator. It is similar to the current trend of vehicle navigation systems. Using it on the streets and highways wasn't a problem. I tried to cache with it a few times. The output was only 2 numbers after the decimal. I only made 1 find and that was more 'look in the right spot' than it taking me there.

To get my pictures, I just take the memory card out, put it into an adaptor & plug into the computer. Before I had a phone that had a memory card, I just did a picture message to my email.

I just pull my memory card out too. I've emailed them as well. I get pics pretty frequently to my phone. I still think they are behind though, since geocaching apps are more of the exception than the rule. I've hated AT&T -- until I saw the iPhone. I am still a slave to Verizon though.

I've had Verizon for almost 15 years and couldn't be happier.

The only reason I have Verizon is because no one else has comparable coverage where I live. The phone selection over the past 5-6 years has degraded terribly to the point where, when I get calls from Verizon asking me if I want to renew my contract & upgrade my phone (going into another 2-year lock-in) , I tell them "there's no point to me doing that. You don't offer any phones that I want. I barely like the one I have now."

And don't even get me started on their crippling of the phones & forcing you to use their proprietary software, instead of the software and features the manufacturer built in. Things like removing the OBEX Bluetooth profile so that you can't sync your phone w/ your computer's address book. Even if the manufacturer's spec sheet says you can do it, Verizon strips that ability when they load on their proprietary software.

There's no 3G service yet anywhere around me, so there's not much point to getting one of the phones that can take advantage of it (iPhone, G1, etc.) on the other carriers. So until that time comes, or the other carriers improve their coverage overall and offer up a phone that appeals to me, I'm stuck on Verizon month to month (unless my phone starts breaking down).

I found out their only solution for getting my pictures off my phone and onto my PC was through some on-line service you had to pay extra for. I bought a 3rd party data cable off the 'net, and used a program called BitPim to gain access to the phone's file directory.

Oh, you gotta be kidding! :) Not good!

Pete

WWW.Glass-Cockpit.org

I found out their only solution for getting my pictures off my phone and onto my PC was through some on-line service you had to pay extra for. I bought a 3rd party data cable off the 'net, and used a program called BitPim to gain access to the phone's file directory.

Oh, you gotta be kidding! :) Not good!

Pete

WWW.Glass-Cockpit.org

I have no idea what your "Not good" is directed at. Verizon? Sprint? BitPim? Palm?

The rumor is that the new Blackberry Storm 3G phone (which will be on Verizon) will have an app store that will allow sales of third party apps and such. So I imagine that they are planning to be less restrictive with that one. It also will be able to be tethered to a laptop for use as a modem without violating the service plan (iPhone doesn't allow it last that I heard). That doesn't mean there will be geocaching apps for it though.

For me, Verizon gets the best coverage in the area, so I might look at the Storm once it comes out. Then again, I might save my money and just keep my plain jane phone and service to save money.

The new storm will have a bunch of features. I plan on getting one on the 21st. In order to tether it to your laptop you have to buy an additional service plan (just like the one for a broadband card) that is $30 dollars a month. They will allow you to turn it on and off for a prorated charge up to three times a month. That feature will have a 5Gig limit just like the cards. This info from the manager at my local Verizon store. What would be nice is if Cacheberry (or some such other program) would export the caches to the contact list so the VZ navigator would drive to it before getting out and switching to compass and distance. Just like I used to do on my iQue.

I ditched Verizon awhile back and switched to AT&T, which I've been happy with. I was happy with Verizon too, but I wanted a full sized BlackBerry (not the skinny one) with camera, and only AT&T had one at the time.

I guess if you've never had it you don't know what you're missing, but when I got the BB, I was shocked that I could simply drag one of my music files from my PC right onto the memory card and have it become a ringtone or bluetooth a picture to my wife's phone and have it become her background or download and install Google Maps, Geocaching Navigator, Facebook or other programs and have them work without any trouble.

I guess for people who just text, swap pics and stuff like that Verizon is okay, but when you want to do more with your phone, they're behind the times. I don't see myself switching back as long they continue to be so restrictive.

The new storm will have a bunch of features. I plan on getting one on the 21st. In order to tether it to your laptop you have to buy an additional service plan (just like the one for a broadband card) that is $30 dollars a month. They will allow you to turn it on and off for a prorated charge up to three times a month. That feature will have a 5Gig limit just like the cards.

Ouch! I pay half that for unlimited 3G data access on Sprint for my Centro, and can tether to my laptop with it as well (either corded or wireless tethering via Bluetooth).

my Verizon Wireless vx6900 (HTC Touch) has tom-tom navigator installed as well as BeeLineGPS. Beeline is a paperless caching application and tomtom is just awesome on the roads, both can be opened and running at the same time and can be switched between with a press of a button on the phone since it uses Windows Mobile. WM lets you open numerous applications at the same time just like your computer. You are no longer required the data plan for smartphones with Verizon meaning that you can still pay the same monthly rate as a standard Verizon phone... Best geocaching device ever! voice navigation, paperless caching, camera, and internet!

TomTom Navigator and Beeline cost a few bucks, but there are freeware applications you can download that do GPS waypoint navigation that would work with geocaching.

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php...&&Lid=4

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

Edited by Red 07Z

I dumped Verizon as my cell carrier almost a year ago, and couldn't be happier with the decision. I should have been tipped off much earlier, when I found out their only solution for getting my pictures off my phone and onto my PC was through some on-line service you had to pay extra for. I bought a 3rd party data cable off the 'net, and used a program called BitPim to gain access to the phone's file directory.

By the way u could use (bitpim) with verizon, i have a lg 9400 and i purchased a cable from ebay and it works great.

By the way u could use (bitpim) with verizon, i have a lg 9400 and i purchased a cable from ebay and it works great.

I know. That's why I mentioned it in the message you quoted. :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard of whether Verizon will be getting the Groundspeak applications anytime soon.

I talked to someone at Trimble about Geocache Navigator and he told me that they had a Verizon release planned for the end of November, but that it was delayed until December. They have no other information saying this on their website so who knows . . .

I have a storm and use cacheberry to go paperless and nav4all for caching, nav4all is pretty basic but working, I also installed garmin mobil and it turnd my storm into a garmin nuvi, pretty sweet. So just one better geocaching app and I will only need to usr one unit. My storm. I use a garmin 60csx, nuvi 760 and my storm soon I hope to lose some of the baggage.

Verizon unlocked the GPS for Blackberry Maps apps a week or so ago, so a slow thaw is coming. I therefore believe that Trimble rumour.

The VZ Navigator ($9.99/ month) is actually OK for road navigation, it does use the onboard GPS and not just cell tower navigation. It's no good for geocaching though..no way to enter co-ordinates etc.

-snip-

It's no good for geocaching though..no way to enter co-ordinates etc.

Why does that make it no good for caching? I have over 100 finds and have never 'entered' coordinates into either my Verizon cell phone or my GPS. Some of us still look at the coordinates and decide which way we need to go from there. My first 4 or 5 finds were using VZNavigator and yes it was a little challenging, but that's part of the game.

For road navigation it is really good. I have used it on many road trips with very little trouble. For those that may be interested in trying it, you can get it for just 24 hours. That way you can try it without being locked in for an entire month.

-edited for clarification & spelling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

-snip-

It's no good for geocaching though..no way to enter co-ordinates etc.

Why does that make it no good for caching? I have over 100 finds and have never 'entered' coordinates into either my Verizon cell phone or my GPS. Some of us still look at the coordinates and decide which way we need to go from there. My first 4 or 5 finds were using VZNavigator and yes it was a little challenging, but that's part of the game.

For road navigation it is really good. I have used it on many road trips with very little trouble. For those that may be interested in trying it, you can get it for just 24 hours. That way you can try it without being locked in for an entire month.

-edited for clarification & spelling-

Ok, my mistake... replace "no good" with "more challenging" :D I still stand by the fact it's not a good geocaching device.