Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8
57chevy

COINTEST... Holiday Recipes 2008

182 posts in this topic

I don't visit the forums very often but the holidays are near and I'd like to have a cointest to get the spirit in gear.

To me the holidays revolve around food, and what a better subject to have a cointest.

I know there was a similar cointest last year, so this will be quite similar.

Simple rules...

Post any holiday recipe you like, and on Jan. 1, I will draw a random winner for a coin.

But face it... with all the good recipes, everyone will benefit.

I did some trading and came up with an extra Honu Turtle (copper) that will be the prize.

:PHappy Holidays. :)

b037a56b-624f-4628-aac4-9de949148ba8.jpg

Edited by 57chevy

Last year's cointest sponsor said they were going to do this again but it looks like you beat them to it! As they would say here in Maine, wicked good idea!

I was interested in the post about a compulation of last years recipes but this got busted because it wasn't appropriate (not coin related - and I do see why it went as it did). Actually I was working with the poster to do something like this anyway.........so this is going to work out just fine!

Thank you 57chevy for the cointest regarding recipes. I just love recipes and any chance to win a Geocoin is wonderful!

In the meantime, mommyfinder is working on making sure all the recipes from the old nochipra thread are included in her PDF file. Then that in itself should be appropriate to post here and I have her permission to use her link.

If we keep these cointests up we will all have great recipe files. I will post a recipe soon. Cheers! and Yes, Happy Holidays!

MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

1 large Coffee Mug (sprayed with Pam)

4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Make sure the tablespoon measurements are level - NOT heaping! Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil (I used sour cream instead of oil - excellent!) and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. (high heat) The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Christmas Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup of brown sugar

lemon juice

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again.

At this poi! nt it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup .. just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit off floor...

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet.

Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink.

Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup of brown sugar

lemon juice

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again.

At this poi! nt it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup .. just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit off floor...

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS

LOL, rolling on the floor lauphing...sounds like a very good recipe, will have to try

This is the best ever recipe for Ginger Cookies ever! It has been in my family for ages and I had it and then lost it. Last Christmas my niece, Lydia, made some and I begged the recipe from her so I could make them again. So here it is, complete with comments from Lydia:

Aunt Marcia's Gingerbread Cookies

In your largest bowl...

Cream Together:

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup shorting

1 egg (which is best to do with egg at room temp.)

In medium bowl...

Sift Together:

5 1/4 cups flour

1 Tbs. ginger

1 Tbs. baking soda

3/4 tsp. salt

(I've learned from the food network that you can put all that together in a bowl and just use a wire whisk to whisk air into the mixture. Beats the hell out of using a damned flour sifter and giving yourself carpel tunnel syndrome in the process.)

In small bowl...

Mix Together:

1/2 cup buttermilk

7/8 cup molasses

(Yes it's a weird measurement, but they do have cup sets with a 1/8 cup...I think I got mine at Wal-Mart. Also, if you "grease" your cup prior, the molasses comes out easier.)

Add dry ingredients alternating with wet ingredients a little at a time to sugar mixture, mixing well each time.

Note: I just use a wooden spoon, and then my hands when it gets too stiff. Also, sometimes my dough comes out a little dry, so I just add a little more buttermilk and molasses until all the flour is incorporated. However, this year it was quite a bit more wet...go figure.

It will make a soft dough. Chill overnight.

Flour your surface, rolling pin, and cutters. Roll dough to ~ 1/4 inch thickness (only roll what you're going to use, keep all other dough in fridge). After you cut shapes, put scraps back and get new piece. As the dough warms up it gets sticky.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and done. (your oven may vary...mine does) Remove and let completely cool before frosting or...keep in airtight container until ready to decorate.

Note: They are actually still good even a year later if kept in the freezer...yes, I've tested the theory!

One of the best things about these Ginger Cookies it that they are just ginger cookies - no cinnamon, no cloves or nutmeg - just ginger! And with a simple frosting made with powdered sugar & milk and decorated with colored sugars, red hots & other decors they are just simply YUMMY!!! Hope y'all like them. :P

CF30

Christmas Cookie... snip...

CHERRY MISTMAS

:D Wow.. Idahoans know how to celebrate the holidays. :D

"Interesting" recipe, LoriDarlin! :D:D:wub:

Geosmurfarna

(who will probably NOT try this recipe for Christmas :D )

Adding an Alaska Christmas Moose coinament as an additional prize. :D

also ... I tried the Minute Choc. mug cake.... pretty good stuff, I can see it being a kids favorite.

ALSO...

FEEL FREE TO POST AS MANY RECIPES AS YOU'D LIKE...

Each one will be a chance at a prize.

:D THE MORE THE MERRIER!!! :D

Edited by 57chevy

I am always up to win a coin and this is a very cool one! Oh - and now I see there is another offering - woo, hoo! :D

MommyFinder did collate all the recipes from last years cointest so here they are in a PDF file -

:D

Now on to my entry for 2008:

This recipe was from a local restaurant and held as a deep secret. They made this and served it on every table before your meal with crackers and a dish of cottage cheese and one of marinated red beans with onions/oil and garlic ~ sort of complimentary hors d'oeuvres. In high school, I was fortunate enough to procure the recipe.

This makes a bunch but it freezes well and you can always use it for gifts. The restaurant went out of business when the owners retired, but, guess what they are making, marketing and selling through local supermarkets - this spread. A lot less expensive to make your own.

Merry Christmas - Enjoy!

Cheese Spread

2 - 8 oz. cold pak cheddar cheese (these are like the little juice size jars of packed cheese - I can no longer find them in the 8 oz any more but I buy enough to either equal 16 oz or just shy thereof); 1 - 8 oz. container small curd cottage cheese; 2 - 8 oz pacakages of cream cheese; 1 - 4 pz package of blue cheese; 1/2 small onion chopped VERY fine; 1/4 green pepper chopped VERY fine; 1/4 tsp garlic salt (and if you don't want the salt just add a few shakes of garlic powder); 1 oz. pimento; dash of worchestershire sauce.

Put all ingredients out to reach room temperature. Mix ingredients together with electric mixer until smooth. (WARNING - this will be very thick so you need a good mixer - I have burned out a cheap one trying to make this.). Once well mixed and smooth, place in containers for storage or presentation. Chill and Eat!

I usually put some in cute little dishes for serving and freeze a few containers of this for use later in the season. You can make the dishes of cheese pretty for presentation by adding some garnish.

One of our family's favorites

Corn Casserole

1 Can Cream Style Corn

1 Can Corn Niblets and Juice

1 Cup Sour Cream

1/2 Stick Melted Butter

1 Egg

1 Pkg Jiffy Corn Bread Mix

Mix all ingredients in a baking dish.

Bake for 45 minutes @ 350 degrees or until golden brown

Easy and really good, I promise!

Ok here's another long time family favorite Christmas cookie recipe. Super easy and oh so good! :cute:

Nutballs

1 lb. of butter (room temp)

1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar (best to use that damned flour sifter here...powdered sugar tends to be lumpy)

4 cups flour

1 Tsp. vanilla

4 cups chopped pecans

1 tsp. salt

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Sift flour and salt (use the whisk trick here), and add to sugar mixture. Add pecans. Mix well. Chill at least a couple of hours. Shape into 1 inch balls. Bake on greased cookie sheet (I used the wrappers from the heart attack amount of butter...or you could use parchment paper). Bake for ~ 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Roll in powdered sugar while hot and again when cool. Store in airtight container.

Gotta love those comments from my niece! :) She surely has a way with words!

CF30

For those of us not familiar with other nation's brands and codes....

What is Pam?????

It sounds like a lady.

What is Pam?????

It sounds like a lady.

PAM Is a cooking spray.

It is a spray oil for baking.

It is a name of a brand of spray oil.

Please do not mix up Jose and Pam.

What is Pam?????

It sounds like a lady.

It's an aerosol spray that keeps the cake from sticking to the mug/pan... very common product in the states... I'm sure a light greasing would have the same effect. :)

This is a good one that I've found.

Vermont Maple Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Yield: 6-8 servings

1-1/3 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin (one 15-oz. can)

3/4 cup Pure Vermont Maple Syrup

1-1/2 cups canned evaporated milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 unbaked pie shell

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ginger

Beat or blend all ingredients thoroughly together. Pour into unbaked

pie shell. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or just until firm in

the middle.

What is Pam?????

It sounds like a lady.

PAM Is a cooking spray.

Thanks - got it - cooking oil spray.

Not hot like Jose, I assume!

Holiday Punch....

INGREDIENTS

4 cups cranberry juice cocktail

8 cups prepared lemonade

2 cups orange juice

1 (4 ounce) jar maraschino cherries

1 (2 liter) bottle ginger ale

1 orange, sliced in rounds

DIRECTIONS

In a large punch bowl, combine cranberry juice cocktail, lemonade, and orange juice. Stir in the maraschino cherries. Refrigerate for 2 hours or more.

When ready to serve, pour in the ginger ale. Garnish each glass with an orange slice.

thanksgiving.jpg

PINE NUT ROAST (from Here's Health magazine 1984 and our christmas dinner ever since)

1oz butter

1 onion

8oz pine nuts

4TBS milk

4oz white breadcrumbs

2 eggs

salt and pepper

nutmeg

Stuffing

6oz wholemeal breadcrumbs

4oz butter

1/2 lemon

1/y tsp dried marjoram

1/2 tsp dried thyme

4 TBS fresh parsley

salt and pepper.

Fry the onion till tender in the butter, add to the other ingredients (beat the egg and grind the nuts roughly first)

Combine all the stuffing ingredients - easiest to use your hands.

Layer up in a 2lb loaf tin - 1/2 the main mixture, the stuffing (use your hands to mould to shape) then the rest of the main mixture.

Cook at 180 for about an hour with the top covered in buttered foil, remove foil for the last 10 mins. (I use a paper loaf case, but you would need to grease the tin and coat with breadcrumbs otherwise.)

Ness.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies

----------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup sugar (white or brown, your choice) to roll cookies

1 stick butter, at room temperature

1 egg

1 cup peanut butter (I like chunky, but smooth works well too)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)

1 1/2 cups flour

Jelly or jam of your favorite flavor (strawberry works well)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease/Pam a baking sheet. In a large bowl, cream together butter & sugar. Beat in egg. Mix in peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Stir in salt, baking soda, and flour until well combined. Roll dough into 1/2 to 1 inch balls and then roll in sugar. Place on baking sheet. With a spoon, flatten and make a depression in the center of the cookie (don't make it too deep or the cookie will break). Fill the depression with jelly. Bake for 8-12 minutes (or until they're done to your liking).

Makes 24-30 cookies, depending on the size you make.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Brown Bread for Dummies (ie. Me...if i can make this, anyone can :anibad:)

Wet Mixture: Mix the following together and let cool:

2 1/2 cups Boiling water

1 cup of rolled oats

1tsp salt

1/2 cup of Molasses

2 tbsp Lard (ie. Crisco shortening)

Dry Mixture:

1 pkg Instant Yeast

5 cups flour (NOTE: if you use whole wheat flour, be sure to add an extra 1/4 cup of water to the wet mixture)

After the wet mixture has cooled COMPLETELY add the flour mixture, stir and knead well (2-3 minutes)

Let rise 1 1/2 to two hours

Punch down and form into two round balls, place in two round 9inch cake pans and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours

Bake at 350F/180C for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven) the top will be nicely browned when finished.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it only make two loaves, so no massive amount of ingredients or 10 loaves to bake and then try to figure out where to put them all :laughing: although if there were more than two of us we probably wouldn't have a problem with that! The round loaves work well because the look nice cut up with butter or preserves for company, but they can also be baked as two small loaves or one regular, they will just need a few more minutes in the oven.

Enjoy!

Yum, yum = keep posting........and that coffee mug recipe is the greatest! But on another aside - I think Mommyfinder will, again, this year collate them into a document.........we should have the greatest recipe book ever!

Thanks 57Chevy for pulling this together. And two Geocoin Prizes.......woo, hoo..........Thank You ~ Thank You!

How about some Margarita Balls?

1 12oz pkg Vanilla Wafers

1/2 lb Ground Almonds

1/2 lb White Chocolate

1/4 cup Tequila

1/4 cup Orange Marmalade

2 tbsp Light Corn Syrup

Crush the vanilla wafers and mix with the ground almonds. Melt the white chocolate. In a blender mix the tequila, marmalade, and corn syrup until smooth. Stir this mixture and the melted chocolate into the crumb mixture. Shape into 1" balls and coat with sugar. Store in the rerigerator. MMMMMMMMMM!!

Rarely drift down into this section, but I like my sweets, and since I saved a few of these recipes I'll toss one out that I do each year.

CANDY CANE COOKIES

2 sticks (1 cup) margarine/butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1 egg

1 ½ teaspoons almond flavoring

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 ½ cups sifted flour

1 teaspoon salt

Red and green food coloring

¼ cup finely crushed peppermint candy mixed with ¼ cup sugar

Cream together margarine, sugar, egg, almond flavoring and vanilla.

Add salt and flour, mixing until smooth.

Divide dough in half.

Tint one-half of the dough to the desired shade of red, the other half the desired shade of green, or half of dough may be left untinted.

Refrigerate until dough is stiff enough to handle. Pinch off pieces of dough from each half and roll into pencil thin strips, about 4 inches long. Twist strips together and bend one end to form cane. If dough becomes too soft while working it, refrigerate again until firm. Bake in oven preheated to 375 degrees about 10 minutes or until done. While canes are still warm, brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with crushed peppermint mixture.

Spice Cake

Perfect for Christmas and Thanksgiving

Goes well with vanilla ice cream and hard sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 and 1/2 cups of sugar

1 cup of buttermilk

3 eggs

1/2lb of butter or margarine (melted)

1 T cinnamon

1 T baking soda

1/2 T ground cloves

Directions:

1. Blend sugar and butter thoroughly. Add eggs, buttermilk, flour. Mix.

2. Add cinnamon, baking soda, and cloves. Mix well.

3. Grease and flour baking dish.

4. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350' for 50 minutes or longer if necessary.

5. Cool and ice.

Spice Cake Icing

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter

1 box of confectioners sugar

1 T of vanilla

1-3 T of milk

Directions:

1. Cream butter and gradually add confectioners sugar.

2. Add milk as needed to keep frosting at spreading consistency

3. Add vanilla

4. Frost cake when completely cool.

I found this recipe on the net several years ago (can't remeber where) and it has become one of our favorite xmas recipes.

a recipe i always liked to make at xmas time when i still lived with my parents.

heathers nutty nibbles

one cup of sugar - white or brown, but brown is best

2 cups of shelled pistachio nuts

one tablespoon of cinnamon

heat up a shallow frying pan or a wok, throw in the nuts and dry cook them until they are lightly toasted and remove them from the pan.

throw in the sugar and the cinnamon and carefully heat up untill it turns to syrup, allow to heat untill it turns to a glue like consistency and then mix in the nuts.

remove the mixture from the pan and tip onto a metal sheet or a plate with foil on. spread the nut mixture so it can solidify in separate pieces. allow to cool down and set.

tip into a dish and they are ready to eat.

alternative flavours to cinnamon can be suited to individual choice, per batch.

flavours i have tried and enjoyed are

cinnamon

paprika powder

curry powder

ground black pepper

freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice

the best thing about this is, although you think sweet with pepper or paprika is yuck its really nice.

Not a tequila fan? Then how about rum?

Rum Balls

12 oz Chocolate Chips

1 cup Sugar

6 tbsp Light Corn Syrup

1 cup Rum

5 cups finely crushed Vanilla Wafers

Melt the chocolate chips. Mix in remaining ingredients. Roll into 1" balls. Roll in confectioners suger (or whatever coating you want) Refrigerate until firm.

Yes, at our house we would rather eat our booze than just drink it. <_<

I make these every year for my dad when my parents come to visit. They are his favourite!

Butter Tarts

1/3 cup butter

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup raisins

Mix the above and fill tart shells 3/4 full. (I just use a pastry mix but you can buy the shells already made and frozen if you like) Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I typically use a large muffin tin and they come out HUGE but delicious.

One of our family's favorites

Corn Casserole

1 Can Cream Style Corn

1 Can Corn Niblets and Juice

1 Cup Sour Cream

1/2 Stick Melted Butter

1 Egg

1 Pkg Jiffy Corn Bread Mix

Mix all ingredients in a baking dish.

Bake for 45 minutes @ 350 degrees or until golden brown

Easy and really good, I promise!

And ONE HEART ATTACK

Ok, well for all those who need a dessert but are trying to watch their weight, here is a chocolate fix substitute that is just yummy! My friend made these for me and I asked her for the recipe.

1 POINT BROWNIES

1 package Betty Crocker low fat brownie mix

3 cups Kellogg's All Bran

2 1/4 cups water

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour the water over the All Bran and let it soak up for about 5 minutes in a small bowl.

In a large bowl stir together brownie mix, All Bran, and baking powder. Mix well until mixture is moist.

Place paper cupcake liners in a muffin pan.

Fill up each of the twelve cupcake liners to the very top.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Yeilds 12 muffins. 1 point each!!

Here's a few of our favorite recipes (some we fix anytime of the year)

Eggnog Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1 cup white sugar

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup shortening

2 eggs

1 teaspoon rum flavored extract

3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Grease and flour an 8x4 inch loaf pan. Sift together

the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and ginger;

set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter,

and shortening until light and fluffy. Blend in the

eggs one at a time, then stir in the rum extract.

Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk,

mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into

prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 65 to 70 minutes,

or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the

cake comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and cool in tins.

Wrap in greaseproof paper

and store for up to two weeks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We actually eat this one all year long, but it's something fairly easy to throw together to take to a bring-a-dish meal.

7 Layer Salad

Looks really nice when prepared in large clear glass bowl with straight sides (Trifle Dish)

-Layer 1-

1 head of iceburg lettuce

(sliced thin as you would for a tossed salad)

-Layer 2-

Diced Celery & Chives

Dice 1-3 stalks of celery (depending on your taste for celery - I personally hate celery, so I don't use any)

Chop "green part only" of 2-3 large green onions

-Layer 3-

1 small bag of FROZEN green peas

(they will thaw before you eat the salad - also be sure to mash bag to seperate peas well before opening bag)

-Layer 4-

4 Large Eggs

Hard Boiled & thinly sliced layer over entire salad

(Reserve 6 Slice from center of eggs for garnish to top of finished salad)

-Layer 5-

Dressing

Combine in medium sized mixing bowl 1 pint of Mayonaise, 2 Tbsp of sugar, & 1 Tbsp of White Vinegar

-Layer 6-

Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Use just enough to cover the dressing completely

-Layer 7-

Bacon Bits

Place solid ring around outside edge of top of salad then sprinkle sparingly across the middle.

Finish off by placing the reserved 6 egg slices evenly on top for a pretty presentation.

Baked Potato Soup

(A chef Gridlox original :laughing: )

Just the ticket to warm the bones after a long cold day of caching!!

Refridgerates & Reheats really well!! :anibad:

4-5 large BAKED potatoes

6 strips of bacon (fried till crisp)

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1 can of cream of celery soup

2 cups of water

1 Package of White Creme Gravy Mix (or Peppered Gravy Mix)

Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Bake Potatoes till done & let cool (at least till you can handle them without gettng burned)

Scrape skins from potatoes then crumble potatoes into soup pot

Crumble in Bacon

Add both cans of soup (undiluted)

Prepare White Gravy per package instructions, but "DO NOT" cook until thick!!

Add gravy to soup pot

Add 2 cups of water (Add more if you like a thinner broth)

Stir well & bring to simmer

Reduce heat to low (to keep warm until you come back for the second bowl!! :rolleyes: ) and serve in bowls with Sharp Cheddar Cheese sprinkled across top

Russian Tea

(A Favorite at Chef Gridlox Christmas Family Gatherings)

2 cups sugar

2 cups water

1 small jar of cloves

1 small jar of stick cinnamon

Combine all of above in cooking pot and bring to a boil

Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.

Pour through strainer into seperate large pot

Add 1 more cup of water to cloves & cinnamon and bring to boil once more.

Strain into the 2nd pot.

Throw out cloves and cinnamon sticks.

Combine in cooking pot:

8 large glasses of weak tea

1 large frozen orange juice concentrate

1 large unsweetened pineapple juice

Juice from 3 to 4 fresh squeezed lemons

Heat until hot. Do NOT boil!!

Mix into 2nd pot with clove & cinnamon boil.

Leave pot on stove on low heat & serve "Hot"

Instant Russian Tea

(For those times when you only need a single serving)

**Not as good as above but still taste good**

3 cups Tang Breakfast Drink Mix

1/2 cup lemon flavored instant tea

1.5 cups sugar

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1 tsp, ground cinnamon

Mix well all ingredients & store in plastic container or jar.

To serve: Mix 3 teaspoons of mix with one cup of boiling water.

ENJOY!!

D-man :anibad:

:laughing: Wow, I'm glad to see all the great recipes showing up on here. I'm definitely going to have to try a few of these this holiday season. Keep em coming, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Christmas is barely a month away. Remember for every recipe you post, it's another entry in the cointest. I also wanted to mention that I had a coin donated by an anonymous person for the cointest. THANK YOU! Not sure exactly what the name of the coin is but it's a MIGO coin and its from 2006, it's blue with green trees and snow on it. So it's seasonal... Pretty cool, Thank you. So.. there's gonna be 3 lucky winners, How cool is that. I'll try to snap pics, and get them posted soon. :anibad:

How about Thanksgiving or Christmas morning.

Make the night before and pop in the oven in the morning.

Creme Brulee French Toast

1 stick butter

1 cup brown sugar

2 Tbl corn syrup

1-10 inch round country loaf or 1 Lb French bread or 1 Challah

5 eggs

1 1/2 cup half and half

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp Grand Marnier (optional...NOT!)

1/4 tsp salt

1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.

2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.

3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.

4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown.

Here is a very simple Pecan Pie recipe that I make each year for Thanksgiving.

1 cup corn syrup

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup sugar

2 Tbs butter, melted

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup pecans

1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust

Stir the first five ingredients together, then mix in pecans.

Pour into the pie crust.

Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes

Goes well with ice cream or whipping cream :anitongue:

------------------------

DOUBLE LAYER PUMPKIN PIE

------------------------

1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1 tbsp. half and half

1 tbsp. sugar

1 1/2 c. thawed Cool Whip non-dairy whipped topping

1 prepared graham cracker crumb crust (6 oz.)

1 c. cold half and half

2 pkgs. (4-serving size) vanilla flavor instant pudding and

pie filling

1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Mix cream cheese, 1 tablespoon half and half, and sugar

until smooth. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread on

bottom of crust. Pour 1 cup half and half into mixing bowl.

Add pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk until well blended, 1

to 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir

in pumpkin and spices; mix well. Spread over cream cheese

layer. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Garnish with

additional whipped topping and chocolate dipped pecan

halves, if desired. Serves 8.

:anitongue:

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup of brown sugar

lemon juice

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

CHERRY MISTMAS

Love it! Just sent it to my people at work :anitongue:

How about another quick breakfast entry

Peach French Toast

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup margarine

2 Tbsp water

1 can (29 oz) sliced peaches drained, reserving syrup

8 eggs

2 cups skim milk

1 Tbsp vanilla

1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes

Heat brown sugar & margarine on medium-low heat until melted. Add water.

Continue cooking until sauce becomes thick and foamy. Pour into 9x13 baking dish.

Cool 10 minutes.

Place peaches on cooled caramel sauce.

Cover with bread cubes close together.

Mix together eggs, milk and vanilla in separate bowl. Pour over bread.

Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake prepared casserole in oven 40-45 minutes, covering loosely with foil the last 10 to 15 minutes if b rowing too fast.

Add 2 tsp of cornstarch to reserved peach syrup; heat until thickened and serve with French toast.

Serves 8.

These are a favorite of ours, a wonderful snack with a glass of Champagne!

Black Pepper Almonds

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

3/4 cup packed golden brown sugar

4 teaspoons water

2 2/3 cups whole almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil, lightly butter the foil. Mix pepper and salt in a small bowl. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add sugar and 4 teaspoons water; stir until sugar dissolves. Add almonds; toss to coat. Cook over medium heat until syrup thickens and almonds are well coated, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle half of pepper mixture over.

Transfer almonds to baking sheet. Using a spatula and working quickly, seperate almonds. Sprinkle remaining pepper mixture over. Bake until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack, cool.

(can be made 4 days ahead. Store airtight at roon temperature.)

I have a recipe for cinnamon almonds also....gotta dig that up and get it here.

Found it!!

Cinnamon- Roasted Almonds

1 egg white

1 teaspoon cold water

4 cups whole almonds

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly butter a large cookie sheet.

Lightly beat the egg white; add water and beat until frothy but not stiff.

Add nuts, stir until well coated. Mix the sugar, salt and cinnamon and sprinkle over the nuts. Toss to coat, spread evenly on the prepared pan.

Bake for up to 1 hour in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until golden. Allow to cool, then store nuts in airtight containers...Enjoy!

Fun with Fondant

You will need:

a candy thermometer

cornstarch

unused disposable cleaning towel with loose pores

twine

food coloring

rolling pin

electric mixer with bread hook

Optional:

rubber stamps cleaned with antibacterial soap and thoroughly rinsed

dry, unused ink pad

black liquid airbrush food color

unused watercolor brushes

cookie cutters

batch of favorite cookies

candy flavoring

PREP:

- if you have decided to use stamps, saturate the ink pad with the black liquid airbrush food color the night before and store tightly wrapped or secured.

- put some cornstarch in the center of the towel, then twist and tie the towel tightly with the string so that you have created a "puff". This is for use with the fondant, below.

FONDANT

----------

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

2 tablespoons corn syrup.

ice water

jelly-roll pan

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse the jelly-roll pan in cold water and have it near to hand. Do not dry it.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar & water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the corn syrup and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook until the mixture reaches between 234-240 degrees on the candy thermometer and test: if you drop some of the syrup into the water and it forms a soft ball in your fingers (aka "soft-ball stage"), it's ready to go. Don't overcook it or you'll have to start over.

Pour the syrup into the jelly-roll pan; spritz with a little water to keep a crust from forming and let it cool for 2-4 minutes or until it's comfortable to touch (about 110 degrees; you can test it with your thermometer).

With a scraper, pick it all up and put it in an electric mixer with a bread hook. Run this for 3-5 minutes -- when the fondant becomes stiff, you're ready to go. Knead the fondant until it's pliable and pack it up in tightly-wrapped plastic and/or an airtight container. Leave it in a cool place (NOT the refrigerator) for about an hour (or even a day) so that it can "gel".

To work it, break off a piece and knead in coloring (or flavoring) as desired. If it is too hard, put a bit of it in a cup and put the cup into hot water (watch for thermal shock) so that it will soften a little.

While you're working it, it might feel sticky to the touch; use cornstarch to alleviate this (and your cornstarch "puff" will come in handy). Don't use sugar! You can shape this into all kinds of amusing shapes: ammo cans, GPS receivers, coins, etc.

Note that fondant dries out quickly, so you have to work pretty fast. Only break off what you need and keep the rest tightly wrapped. Don't put it in the fridge; fondant does not like moisture.

If you've got the rubber stamps and liquid airbrush food coloring, you can make

HAND-PAINTED COOKIES

-----------------------------

Sprinkle your work area with cornstarch. Roll out the fondant until it is about 1/4-1/8 inch thick. Cut out a shape with a cookie cutter. Pry it up carefully with a spatula.

Brush the flat side of your favorite cookie with clear corn syrup and attach your fondant piece. Stamp and/or paint with food colorings (you can also stamp and color /before/ you cut with the cookie cutter - whatever works best). After about thirty minutes, the fondant should be hard and dry (and ready to eat).

Edited by Jackalgirl

This is a year round recipe in our house, but it's a lovely Christmassy scent and very easy for kids to do with minimal supervision and it's good and healthy which is a plus at this time of year.

2 crushed weetabix

1 cup raisins

2 cups SR flour (that's the kind that rises without needing baking powder - don't know hat it's called elsewhere)

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon mixed spice or cinamon

Mix together then add

1 cup milk.

Stir and pour into a prepared loaf tin. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 mins.

Whoops, double post so adding this:

I adapted these from the internet last Christmas when I was looking for something really Christmassy, they smell of Christmas and are really delicious:

Cranberry, orange & dark chocolate cookies.

* 2 cups plain flour

* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature

* 1 cup caster sugar

* 1 large egg

* 1 orange, zest of (about 2-3 teaspoons)

* 1/2 cup dried cranberries

* 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks broken from a bar (70% if you're a serious chocoholic)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar, beating with an electric mixer until light.

4. Beat in the egg and orange zest.

5. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture, stirring only until just combined.

6. Stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips.

7. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls (about 1 1/4-inch balls) onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 9-12 minutes, until the edges are very lightly browned.

8. Cool for 3-4 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Edited by Croft House Cachers

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm hoping to!

mmmmmmmmmmm

Kahlua Gingerbread Cutouts

Makes about 24

1/2 cup shortening

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 large egg

1/4 cup molasses

2 tablespoons Kahlua

2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream shortening, butter and sugars together. Beat in egg until fluffy. Stir in molasses and Kahlua. Sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices. Mix well into creamed mixture. Divide dough into fourths. Cover and chill 2 hours. On well-floured board, roll out each portion of dough to 3/8" thickness, keeping the other dough refrigerated until use. Cut with cookie cutters and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake about 8 minutes. Let cool one minute then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Decorate with Kahlua Frosting.

Kahlua Frosting

1 pound powdered sugar

1/4 cup Kahlua

3 tablespoons shortening

3 tablespoons butter, softened

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

food coloring

In a large bowl mix all ingredients, except for food coloring, until smooth. If you want to use different colors for your decorating, divide the frosting and tint each portion with food coloring, as desired. Decorate cookies using a pastry bag and decorators tips.

If you want a spreadable frosting, use an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of Kahlua in the recipe.

A great addition to a breakfast casserole

PIÑA COLADA MINI MUFFINS

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup oats

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup butter (I used shortening)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 cup sour cream

1 tsp. rum extract

1 cup well-drained crushed pineapple

1/2 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. Combine first 5 dry ingredients. Beat remaining ingredients together in large bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups. Bake at 375° F. for 18-23 minutes, or until golden.

Tip: For 12 regular-sized muffins bake 23-28 minutes.

Makes 24 mini Muffins or 12 regular muffins. They freeze well too.

Traditional Pumpkin Pie has been replaced by this recipe in our house- NO COOKING for this one!

Pumpkin Mousse

15oz can of pure pumpkin

8oz cream cheese

1 box (small size) sugar free vanilla pudding

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

Dump all ingredients into your mixer bowl and mix until well blended.

Thats it!!

Serve it cold with whipped cream (or not), its good by itself in a bowl or quite nice in those little individual graham cracker shells.

2 slices of real delicious bread of your choice

Find extra strong vintage/mature cheddar.

Place cheese upon bread

Grill until cheese melts.

Bl**dy marvellous! :D

What is Pam?????

It sounds like a lady.

PAM Is a cooking spray.

My mugs must be to small. :D

I used a small glas bowl and no spray oil...

Works perfectly and my kids just love it. We're having chocolate cake quite often now... :D

My favourite cake recipe:

Carrot cake:

- 2 eggs with

- 175g sugar, beat till smooth

add - 150ml oil

- 50g chopped or ground walnuts (or other nuts)

- 100g flour (plain)

- 1 teaspoon natron or backing powder

- 225g grated carrots

- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (cinnamon, ginger, corriander seed, carraway seed, nurmeg, cloves) or just cinnamon

Mix well, fill in greased bread tin and bake for 50 min at 190°C

Left to cool on a rack

Frosting:

-175g powder sugar

- 50g butter

- 75g cream cheese,

mix well and spread liberally over the cake. Decorate with marzipan carrots...

Best enjoyed the next day.