Entering additional waypoints

Insp Gadget

Mostly meaningless, perhaps initially designed to have some meaning as stated in "In the future, Geocaching.com may use this as the name for your waypoint when saving to the GPS"

Perhaps designed so that when you do a GPX download using a Pocket Query, they would have nice prefixes similar to GC or TB or PK...

Lookup is just a redundant spot for a short name.

Just use anything.

The type of the waypoint on the otherhand is important:

Final Location
Parking Area
Question to Answer
Reference Point
Stages of a Multicache
Trailhead

And be sure to make secret things hidden

Edited by trainlove

I am entering some additional waypoints for a cache I am creating. I don't understand what "Waypoint Lookup Code" and "Prefix Code" are used for. Can someone enlighten me please?

The Lookup code is a unique (within that cache) identifier for that waypoint.

The Prefix Code replaces the "GC" in the cache's ID, to create the ID for that waypoint. For example, if you choose "PK" for some parking coordinates, and your cache ID is GC54321, the parking waypoint ID will be PK54321.

If you use Firefox, you can install the Quick Waypoint Entry script. This lets you set up most Additional Waypoints with just few mouse clicks, using standardized values for the various fields.

The Prefix Code replaces the "GC" in the cache's ID, to create the ID for that waypoint. For example, if you choose "PK" for some parking coordinates, and your cache ID is GC54321, the parking waypoint ID will be PK54321.

I have a 'yet to be placed' cache that I have created 5 different parking coordinates for. Only one of them would allow me to use PK for a prefix. So, like lookup code, prefix is really a only one of a kind thing for one cache.

To me, the definition of prefix is something completely different. I'd have liked all of my parking coords to be PKqwertASDFG where qwert is my cache's GC number, and ASDFG is some suffix code such as 1, 2, 3..., or, for future avoidance, something that can't be part of a GC number such as those letters that are not part of a GCnumber in the base 31 system in use.