South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

When I was in Rio we visited Maracanã stadium. I seem to recall there was an attendance of some 200000 odd people at a football match prior to them installing individual seating. Whether this was a world cup match and whether these were official or unofficial numbers I can't recall.

Spot on GlobalRat

199854 according to many references and 173850 according to FIFA

This was for the 1950 Final between Uruguay and Brazil.

Over to you GlabalRat

Eish - 5 days and and not a word from GR! Has he left the country? ;) Neither are there any more takers on this one and I have run out of ideas as to who it might be. :lol: Perhaps everybody else has thrown the towel in as well. Perhaps an new question might tweak some interest GR? ....... or is the SWC Fever running too high there is SA? Are we missing something by not being there? :)

Let's keep to the World Cup theme. The ball "Jabulani" has been both criticized and praised. However, apart from the 11 colours that are supposed to have significance to the languages of South Africa, it is unique in another way. I am not referring to the material it is make from but more the design. What is this unique feature that I refer to?

It consists of only 4 panels?

Why they have to change the ball each time just fr a World Cup beats me anyhow.

Added : Well of course its the money - the ball sells for R1500!!!!! And no one thinks this ball is better so they can;t use that as an excuse - Adidas = Just as Greedy as FIFA!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

It consists of only 4 panels?

Why they have to change the ball each time just fr a World Cup beats me anyhow.

Added : Well of course its the money - the ball sells for R1500!!!!! And no one thinks this ball is better so they can;t use that as an excuse - Adidas = Just as Greedy as FIFA!

Trev

I will give it to trevorh7000. The uniqueness I was looking for was the number of panels that differ from previous SWC balls. iNokia was on the right track but the panels are all the same size.

"Regular balls are made with 32 hexagonal panels. The Teamgeist for World Cup in Germany 2006 had only 14 panels. The Jabulani ball has an amazing 8 panels."

Read more: http://www.jabulaniball.com/#ixzz0rWApqQrH

Incidentally, here both the match ball [coloured one] and the ball for the final [gold one] sell for about R800. You are getting ripped in SA guys! :laughing::(

Was he was a Scottish castaway who's story was the inspiration for the book Robinson Crusoe?

Quite - well done

Read the wikipedia article

I have a book called Selkirks Island that was due back at the Rondebosch library in 2003 - well I actually "lost" the book and paid the library for it then it turned up. The book explains how his daily pleasure was catching goats and doing abominable things to them,then splitting their ear so that if he caught the same goat again it would be spared the indignity!......Selkirk was spoilt for choice!!!

Go for it gr8scot

Trev

Thanks Trev.

Here is one that came up at dinner the other evening:

What property do Tomato Sauce, Toothpaste & (modern) Paint have in common?

The words all have a "t", an "o" in them , except "paint" which does not have an "o" (*)

==================

(*) with apologies to the author of this question and posters to this thread, but it reminded me of a silly child's joke that I still find amusing Question: "Wat is groen en het wieletjies?" Answer: "Gras - ek jok maar oor die wieletjies" English: what is green and got wheels? Grass, I'm just fibbing amout the wheels.

I will guess they are all thixotropic - they thin, (or have a lowered viscosity) under shear forces .

I know this applies to paint and tomato sauce, but not sure about toothpaste

That's the original answer that I had in mind as well, having been told that in a Materials Science lecture years ago, so I'll give it to you.

After posting the question however, I did some research to confirm that I had remembered it correctly and found the following:

" * A thixotropic fluid displays a decrease in viscosity over time at a constant shear rate.

* A shear thinning fluid displays decreasing viscosity with increasing shear rate.

Toothpaste, ketchup, and paint are frequently mis-labeled as being thixotropic materials. In reality, these are often pseudoplastic or "shear thinning". The viscosity of these materials decrease under increasing shear rate, not increasing time. When squeezed out of a tube, toothpaste flows easily but will set-up on the toothbrush. When shaken or squeezed out of a bottle, ketchup will thin and flow readily but will retain its shape on a burger or plate. When modern paints are applied the shear created by the brush or roller will allow them to thin and wet out the surface evenly. Once applied the paints regain their higher viscosity which avoids drips and runs."

Over to you, Discombob

woo-hoo, so those years studying science have paid off at last!

Ok back to the world cup. Living in England, English people like to abuse us poor South Africans when we use the word soccer instead of football.

What are the origins/etymology of the word soccer?

woo-hoo, so those years studying science have paid off at last!

Ok back to the world cup. Living in England, English people like to abuse us poor South Africans when we use the word soccer instead of football.

What are the origins/etymology of the word soccer?

Did not want to hog the thread, but since no-one has replied yet, this is what I read recently:

From the "Soc" in Association Football, in the same vein as Rugby was called Rugger (and there is another that I can't remember). Certain Oxford University individuals had the habit of making new words describing activities in this fashion, so its called Oxfordisation or something.

More stuff I read in the same article (off the top of my head, and some of my own interpretation added):

The rules for Association Football as we know it today were formalised around the 1860's. Before that it was a bit of a circus with everybody playing their own style of soccer with thir own rules. The game (as was rugby) was played by the English public schools (they were the only one's who had time on their hands as poorer kids were employed in the sweatshops of the industrial revolution at the time. Either soccer or rugby (can't remember which) were preferred by some schools as it could be played in the limited areas of the courtyards of the schools. I would of thought soccer would not be good for all the stained glass windows surrounding the courtyards. FIFA was formed around 1906 and they decided to have a world cup sometime after 1928 as the president at the time noticed how popular the Olympic games were, so he thought he would copy their idea of a tournament every four years.

Thats the history of soccer in a nutshell!

well done Pooks your go.

This is great ammo for me when I get abused by UK football hooligans for calling it soccer, as I can shove it back in their faces with taunts that they invented the ruddy word!

Of course, even better is to taunt them about their miserable loss to Germany :lol::grin:

Oopsy - posted my question to the wrong thread by mistake. And there I thought it was possibly too obscure a question, but it has already been answered.

Over to you Sawasawa...

On a similar etymological vein: When you register yourself on computer sites and forums you often have to complete a CAPTCHA to prove to them that you are human (read a distorted group of letters). What is the origin of CAPTCHA?

CAPTCHA = Completely Automated Public Turing Test to tell Computers and Humans Apart and was developed by a team at Carnegie Mellon University in USA. See wikipedia link at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA for more info

Oopsy - posted my question to the wrong thread by mistake. And there I thought it was possibly too obscure a question, but it has already been answered.

Over to you Sawasawa...

On a similar etymological vein: When you register yourself on computer sites and forums you often have to complete a CAPTCHA to prove to them that you are human (read a distorted group of letters). What is the origin of CAPTCHA?

CAPTCHA = Completely Automated Public Turing Test to tell Computers and Humans Apart and was developed by a team at Carnegie Mellon University in USA. See wikipedia link at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA for more info

Bit wrapped up at the moment - so rather than delay while thinking up a brilliant post, I will hand back to you for now . . .

What is flyting?

Had to consult my Websters for this one just to make sure - wow, can't remember when last I needed to open a REAL dictionary!! :blink:

"a dispute or exchange of personal abuse in verse form"

I am sure that wazat could come up with some verse that would aptly demonstrate flyting to us all. ;)

Edited by cincol

Cincol, your go...

Don't feel bad that you geocachers could not answer this one that easily - it stumped John Maytham of Capetalk as well, and that is no mean feat.

Answer = Insulting someone in verse : wikipedia article

I was hoping Discombob or Wazat would come up with some choice examples. Here is a rather spicy example I found on the .net

http://grammar.about.com/od/fh/g/flytingterm.htm

The violent altercations between Grandma Gurton and Dame Chat show the closest affiliations to flyting:

Gammer

Thou wert as good as kiss my tail,

Thou slut, thou cut, thou rakes, thou jakes,

[You whore, you jade, you bawd, you sh*t-house]

will not shame make thee hide thee?

Chat

Thou skald, thou bald, thou rotten, thou glutton,

[You scold, you hairless thing, you rubbish, you pig]

I will no longer chide thee

But I will teach thee to keep home."

Sounds like fun - elevating insults to an art form...

What is flyting?

Had to consult my Websters for this one just to make sure - wow, can't remember when last I needed to open a REAL dictionary!! :)

I am sure that wazat could come up with some verse that would aptly demonstrate flyting to us all. :lol:

A flyting response to you

Your cache collection is down

You have fell behind

You lazy clown.

Time to get up your numbers

Come now Cincol,

Get out and find some caches

Don't be a poephol.

You are back in SA

Go out and find a plastic box

time to make up numbers

pull up your socks.

:anicute:

hehe - I knew that wazat would be up to the challenge. One small mistake though, I am not back in SA until the weekend though! :lol:

Perhaps the last soccer question in the series. Because this one is easy the answer has multiple parts.

When was the 1st ever World Cup held? Who won it and against who did they play in the final?

What is flyting?

Had to consult my Websters for this one just to make sure - wow, can't remember when last I needed to open a REAL dictionary!! :)

I am sure that wazat could come up with some verse that would aptly demonstrate flyting to us all. :lol:

A flyting response to you

Your cache collection is down

You have fell behind

You lazy clown.

Time to get up your numbers

Come now Cincol,

Get out and find some caches

Don't be a poephol.

You are back in SA

Go out and find a plastic box

time to make up numbers

pull up your socks.

:o

Oh Wazat your pithy,

veiled exposition in verse

just because us in the sand

live with the "no cache" curse

On the other hand

your number have us wow-ed

as KZN has a cache abundance

making your finds well endowed

we challeange you to a

week in the sand

experience the sweat

and be part of our merry band

(yep - a slow day at the office :anicute: )

Hopefully this question has not been asked already.

Where and when was the first FIFA world cup played? And the winners were...?

BEEN THERE, DONE IT, GR8Scot GOT THE T-SHIRT!!!

EISH!!!!! There have been far too many questions asked and we have to remember them all. :blink: Thanks cownchicken. For my b@llsup I will abstain from a 2nd question and pass it on to Mountain Goat territory - all yours for a new question.