South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Ok!

On Jan 12 2010 earth experienced a "near miss" from a A 10-meter-wide asteroid called AL30. By how much did this asteroid miss earth by? Will give it to the closest 5000 km.

I dont know how far the moon is from the Earth, but apparently the asteroid was supposed to pass between the earth and the moon.

Ok!

On Jan 12 2010 earth experienced a "near miss" from a A 10-meter-wide asteroid called AL30. By how much did this asteroid miss earth by? Will give it to the closest 5000 km.

I dont know how far the moon is from the Earth, but apparently the asteroid was supposed to pass between the earth and the moon.

Close enough!!

Orbital projections indicated that the object called 2010 AL30 flew by Earth at a distance of just 80,000 miles (130,000 kilometers). That's only one-third of the way from here to the moon.

You're up Malo Mystery

Thanks Happy Hunters SA - I was not really expecting to get the prize with that vague answer, but that is all I could remember of a snippet on the radio.

Sorry about another Cape question but that is what I am reading about.

In Cape Town next door to Green Point is a suburb called Mouille Point - where does the name "Mouille Point" originate from?

I think Mouille is French for a mole and I believe there was an attempt to build a breakwater (mole) on the point where the old Mouille Point lighthouse stood

There was an attempt to build a breakwater and that is where the name came from. Some say it comes from the French "Mouille" meaning breakwater or anchoring ground and others saying that it comes from the Dutch "Moeilje" meaning mole - the old terminology for breakwater that was pronounced in the same way as we say Mouille.

Up until the early 1700's there was no breakwater in Table Bay and wrecks were common along the coast. In 1743 work began on the breakwater near Granger bay - about 1 km from where the Mouille point/ Green Point lighthouse stands. There was a "tax" placed on farmers - where each farmer bringing produce to town, would then have to load their wagon with rocks and transport them down to the point of the breakwater. From there slaves and convicts would be used to construct the breakwater. After three years of rough seas the plans were abandoned.

In 1781 the French arrived to help against the English and built a battery near the unfinished mouille, naming it Mouille Point Battery.

It is said that the breakwater can still be seen at low tides near Granger Bay.

Three Anchor Bay - apparently got its name from a chain and three anchors that were spanned across the small bay as a form of defence against the English wanting to try land their ships in the small bay. Needless to say the chain and three anchors did not pose much of a problem to the ships.

Tom - over to you.

Thank you - the base of the original Mouille Point lighthouse can still be seen in the parking area on the corner before the Radison hotel from the Sea Point side.

Okay a change of scenery completely What was a Pure Finder?

Where are all the quizers?

A clue maybe in order - it was an occupation!

Thank you - the base of the original Mouille Point lighthouse can still be seen in the parking area on the corner before the Radison hotel from the Sea Point side.

Okay a change of scenery completely What was a Pure Finder?

Where are all the quizers?

A clue maybe in order - it was an occupation!

I am lurking but feeling rather lost for an answer to this one sorry Tom

Wazat's pure dog breed and CapeDoc's "Eeeew!".

What is more Eeeew! than dog poo?!

But that doesn't make sense - someone finding great dog poo?!!

TAH DAH!!

How did I find this - I was reading a book on the settling of Australia and this was mentioned as a Victorian occupation - so I did what CapDoc did and Googled it and there it was!

‘Pure Finding’ was a Victorian London occupation well established by 1851, by 1935 it had disappeared Just in case it is not obvious ‘Pure’ was a euphemism for dog muck. As a source of income it paid about 8 shillings per bucket. Due to a worsening economic climate and the popularity of ‘Pure Finding’ as a career for those without recognised skills the revenue fell to about 1/6 per pail.

The ‘Pure’ was taken to tanneries for use in tanning. The alkalinity counteracts the acidity left from the tanning agents. Indeed a tannery of orthopaedic leather in Colyton, Devon had a ‘dog s*** pit’ in the sixties and as John said it was a foul hole.

Chicken guano had been discovered in the 1980's, as it was easier to obtain but still provided the same high quality results.

Because dog pollution can spread serious disease in humans pure finding was encouraged from a health standpoint.

So I hope that all you dog lovers are pure finders (of your own dogs) when walking your animals - but judging by all the entrances to the mountains around Cape Town this is not the case!

Over to you Bouts777

Finding dog poo... mmm... Maybe a dog poo picker upper person.... Maybe it can be used... fertilizer? Cannot think of it been pure though....

Are Pure Bred dogs discovered by checking their poo? Or is Dog poo considered to be pure ? Maybe it can be used for something... Cleaning shoes maybe.... I know my shoes get a good cleaning when I step in the disgusting stuff... Maybe it is used for medicines... eeeeew, or perhaps it is those dudes who go around with a pooper scooper... collecting the stuff from pavements... Maybe zookeepers pick it up for the monkeys to toss.... perhaps a vet for pure bred dogs with an infection in the rear....

What is it?

OK see the answer now after I sent this.... eish

Edited by Wazat

That certainly was a STINKER.

No more CRAP questions please guys!

Trev

Sorry Trev, but 8 bob a bucket in the late eighteen hundreds! :D

Quite ironic really because early domestication of dogs was partially to clean up human waste and food scraps. So you domesticate the animal to clean up your mess and then you end up cleaning up its mess?

Eish! And sometimes I complain about my job.

Well, lets stay in that time for the next question.

Alexandre Dumas was a 18 century French writer. Name 3 of his historical novels that were made (and remade a few times) into great films.

mrs pooks:

tale of two cities

the three muskateers

the man in the iron mask

the count of monte christo

Thought to make use of this duplicate post.

Looked up in my dictionary, and here is a list of Jane Austen's other novels (completed ones):

Mansfield Park

Emma

Northhanger Abbey

Persuasion

Not sure which of these novels (and the one previously mentioned) has that comment, but I'm sure you'll tell us soon enough!

Edited by GEO936

Eish! And sometimes I complain about my job.

Well, lets stay in that time for the next question.

Alexandre Dumas was a 18 century French writer. Name 3 of his historical novels that were made (and remade a few times) into great films.

mrs pooks:

tale of two cities

the three muskateers

the man in the iron mask

the count of monte christo

Go with Count of Monte Christo and The Three Musketeers - but Tale of Two Cities was Charles Dickens.

Sense & Sensibility?

Apologies for not getting back sooner - I fell asleep!

"that is correct" says Mrs Pooks in a "The weakest link" voice.

As a matter of interest Dickens also refers to Constantia wine :"there's nothing better that Constantia wine and a home-made biscuit" in the book The Mystery of Edwin D-something

So that's a ding, Geo936

edited to add stuff we could not remember: anne robinson and Edwin Drood

by the way: i googled and it seems Alexadre Dumas also mentioned Constantia Wine, so that ties in nicely with the previous question

Edited by the pooks