South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

With technology like DGPS, are they still needed at all?

Yes Danie,

GPS can never completely replace optical methods. Survey-GPS doesn't work under trees or close to buildings, it needs an unobstructed view of the sky.

Also, trig-beacons are on Hartebeesthoek94 datum, and can be used to calibrate GPS which measures on the ITRF2005 datum, which is different to Hart94 by about a foot (30cm).

Does the "R" stand for something like : Rejuvenate or Recycle or Reconciliation? .... what are we looking for here - something to do with improving the lives of the people or something related to the Environment?

You have the right Idea.

A new law passed in SA earlier this year. Suppose it has more to do with environment and keeping the lights on (see Deepest Darkest Africa cache)

Renewable Energy? .... and then I run out of ideas

Yep = pooks you're it.

Renewable energy Feed In Tarriff -which allows people to develop renewable energy power (solar, wind, hydro, biomass etc.) and get a beeter price for the government and this should lead to a lot more wind turbines, solar panels etc. around the country

Renewable Energy? .... and then I run out of ideas

Yep = pooks you're it.

Renewable energy Feed In Tarriff -which allows people to develop renewable energy power (solar, wind, hydro, biomass etc.) and get a beeter price for the government and this should lead to a lot more wind turbines, solar panels etc. around the country

Hey - that was meant to be only half an answer, so not deserving of a ding. Now I'm in the dog box and have to come up with a question. I wonder if I should not go into a partnership with Discombob, as he seems to have all sorts of interesting questions up his sleeve!

Something relevant now that we have a Zulu president:

What is Zulu time?

If I remember correctly from my military days there are 2 main types of time used - Bravo time and Zulu time. The SA Military always used Bravo time which in those days was SAST or South African Standard Time. Nowadays that is known as CAT or Central African Time. Zulu time is used - I think - mainly in aviation parlance and refers to UTC or Universal Time Cordinated [i think that is correct]. Although similar to GMT - Greenwich Mean Time, Zulu Time takes into account the rotation of the earth to the exact second and is adjusted every so often. Again, I think it is co-ordinated in Paris and is calibrated at various intervals as are the metric measures.

Hey man, it was a long time ago since I studied geography so my facts might be a bit skewed/rusty on this. It was longer that I was in the military! :D I am sure some of the pilots and ATC's amongst us might be able to answer in more detail - the likes of Noddy, SkyJuggler, Gerald and others.

BTW, when I studied geography plate tectonics was still a theory!! :(

If I remember correctly from my military days there are 2 main types of time used - Bravo time and Zulu time. The SA Military always used Bravo time which in those days was SAST or South African Standard Time. Nowadays that is known as CAT or Central African Time. Zulu time is used - I think - mainly in aviation parlance and refers to UTC or Universal Time Cordinated [i think that is correct]. Although similar to GMT - Greenwich Mean Time, Zulu Time takes into account the rotation of the earth to the exact second and is adjusted every so often. Again, I think it is co-ordinated in Paris and is calibrated at various intervals as are the metric measures.

Hey man, it was a long time ago since I studied geography so my facts might be a bit skewed/rusty on this. It was longer that I was in the military! :D I am sure some of the pilots and ATC's amongst us might be able to answer in more detail - the likes of Noddy, SkyJuggler, Gerald and others.

BTW, when I studied geography plate tectonics was still a theory!! :(

Good idea Pooks!!

hey why is it that 41.5% of all questions here in the last month have been military related?

OK Discombob - we have a deal - the next time either of us get an answer right, you get to state the question! Cincol it sounds as if you are right. This is the answer I've got...

Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) which has replaced Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

I tried to read up about it, but to be honest it sounds pretty confusing. UTC it is: The British (CUT) and French (TUC) had opposing views about the abbreviation, but they decided to go for something in between, besides starting with UT fits in with some other conventions/abbreviations (UTC1, ITC2) so UTC ends up as the standard abbreviation.

Note to self: Do not underestimate the amount of peripheral information stashed away into a geocacher's subconcious.

PS Question to self: How do they earn a living?

OK - here is one specifically for Discombob! :D

What is the name of the oldest pub in Britain? It also claims to be the oldest in the world, but it has yet to be substantiated. I will give a clue on this one - it is a famous tourist attraction in Nottingham and is visited daily by many tourists - especially those on organised tours. It is said that the Crusaders used it as a starting point - another clue. :( I remember having a pint there in about 1995 while passing by and stopping off for lunch only to discover its claim to fame once inside!

Edited by cincol

OK - here is one specifically for Discombob! :D

What is the name of the oldest pub in Britain? It also claims to be the oldest in the world, but it has yet to be substantiated. I will give a clue on this one - it is a famous tourist attraction in Nottingham and is visited daily by many tourists - especially those on organised tours. It is said that the Crusaders used it as a starting point - another clue. :D I remember having a pint there in about 1995 while passing by and stopping off for lunch only to discover its claim to fame once inside!

Hey cincol that is very kind of you :(

I remember reading about this pub in the local South African newspaper actually, but I'll be blowed if i remember the name, although there is a geocache in London called "13th Centruy pub"

never been to nottingham myself!

How about "Ye Olde English Pubbe"

or maybe "The goose and hound"

Or perhaps "The kings head"

Ye Wayside Inn of Holy Jerusalem Knights?

Pretty close so I will give it to you for persistence! :P

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is the name. Founded 1189 A.D.

Travellers to the city of Nottingham invariably find their way to this quaint old Inn which is carved into the rock and connected with the labyrinth of sandstone caves at the foot of Nottingham Castle. As its sign says, it truly is “Well known throughout the World”, but the very first question every visitor asks inevitably relates to how it came to have such an unusual name.

The answer to this lies in the date painted on the exterior walls of the Inn, that of 1189AD. This was the year of ascension to the throne of King Richard the First, known as Richard the Lionheart, and one of his first acts as King was to crusade against the Saracens who at that time occupied the Holy Land of Christian Religion. Nottingham Castle was a stronghold favoured by the King and legend has it that the brave Knights and men at arms who rallied to his call to fight in this Third Crusade, gathered at the Castle to rest before journeying to Jerusalem.

Legend also has it that these Crusaders stopped off at the Inn at the foot of the Castle for welcome refreshments - or perhaps more accurately, for ‘one for the road’. Given that in the Middle Ages, a ‘Trip’ was not a journey as such but rather a resting place where such a journey could be broken, it is understandable how the Inn came to be called ‘Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem’.

The oldest pub I was in was in Oxford where they made their own brand of beer - over 400 years old. I thin the place was the Kings Arms - and has pics of famous people including Winston Churchill; JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis who sahred beers there - and of course Bill Clinton.

Jonathan Trott who just scored the only century in the fifth and descisive Ashes test for England made his first class debut for which provincial team?

Boland?

You're it.

He played WP too - but started at Boland - and now made the big time by top scoring for England in the decisive final test to win the Ashes series - captained by another SA born player (Strauss) and watched by an ex England captain from SA ( Pietersen).

So SA Proteas may well be playing the SA "B" team in a few months time when we meet England :P

Where and what is SAIAB? And what was their previous name?

Seeing as the question comes from cownchicken and the fact that one of their offspring is involved in things related to nature I would hazard a guess that SAIAB might have something to do with natural resources - how about SA Institute of Algae Biology and was previously known as SA Algae Busters! :ph34r::P