South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Thanks CH, and still having fun!

Knowing the first GPS satellite was launched in February 1978 with a design life of 7.5 years;

Newer ones were designed to last for 12, and those currently in production should work for 15 years.

In November 2014, how old will the oldest operational satellite be?

Edited by Jors

Thanks CH, and still having fun!

Knowing the first GPS satellite was launched in February 1978 with a design life of 7.5 years;

Newer ones were designed to last for 12, and those currently in production should work for 15 years.

In November 2014, how old will the oldest operational satellite be?

USA-66 will enter 24 years in orbit in November

I remember some years ago a friend went on an expedition to Bouvet (haul out my logbook out to check)- he was operating a 3Y5 callsign ... from my reading up on it from that time, I thought Bouvet was the most remote island. From the callsign it must be the other Norwegian island in the Antarctic.. Just looking at a map, I think that would be Peter 1st island, quite some way away from Bouvet..

Read a little further for interest : 3Y is the official callsign for both Bouvet and Peter 1st island as they are both Norwegian territory. Of cause rest of the callsign is up to whoever in Norway allocates them ... for instance, back in 1990 3y5x was operating from Bouvet, although I do see that the more recent expeditions are 3y0 as you say.

Read a little further for interest : 3Y is the official callsign for both Bouvet and Peter 1st island as they are both Norwegian territory. Of cause rest of the callsign is up to whoever in Norway allocates them ... for instance, back in 1990 3y5x was operating from Bouvet, although I do see that the more recent expeditions are 3y0 as you say.

Either way - would be a super QSL card to get!

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 1: Welcome to Durban - Will be located somewhere at the King Shaka International Airport .

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 2: Marathon Masters - Will be located near the Comrades Wall of Honour, it will require you to find the plaques if some famous runners.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 3: Welcome to Giba - This will be in the Giba area and will be an easy find for everyone.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 4: Mega Registration - Close to the Mega registration desk, this is also an easy find.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 5: Haunted House - This will take you to the far end of Giba to explore an abandoned house.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 7: Picnic Site - This one will be at the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve main picnic spot, a good starting point to the great caches in this reserve.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 8: Another Picnic spot - Also in Krantzkloof - at the second picnic spot, An alternative jumping off point for the super caches in the reserve.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 9: Springside Stroll - A lab cache located in the Springside Nature Reserve in Hillcrest. Some good caches here too.

KZN Mega Lab Cache # 10: Ushaka - This will be at Durbans popular uShaka marine world, a nice easy cache that will tie up with the sunrise event.