South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

1879?

Close enough - 1877.

It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877. It is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments (Majors), the others being the Australian Open, French Open (Roland Garros) and US Open.

In 1876, lawn tennis, a game devised by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield a year or so earlier and originally called 'Sphairistike' was added to the activities of the club. In spring 1877, the club was renamed 'The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club' and signalled its change of name by instituting the first Lawn Tennis Championship. A new code of laws, replacing the code administered by the Marylebone Cricket Club, was drawn up for the event. Today's rules are similar except for details such as the height of the net and posts and the distance of the service line from the net.

The inaugural 1877 Wimbledon Championship opened on 9 July 1877. The Gentlemen's Singles was the only event held and was won by Spencer Gore, an old Harrovian rackets player, from a field of 22. About 200 spectators paid one shilling each to watch the final.

African nations have been fairly new to the FIFA world Cup. But in the second edition in 1934 of the games - a single African nation participated. It then took a further 36 years (to the ninth edition in 1970 - Mexico) before an African nation was represented again.

Who was the FIRST African nation to participate in the World Cup football (soccer)?

Ok, let me take one more guess - Could it be Ghana's neighbours: Côte d'Ivoire

Funnily enough - I am sitting in Abidjan right now. But alas no - it was not Cd'I. Think about who was likely to have been a soccer playing nation in 1930's (especially considering the colonial past of Africa).

South Africa?

Ok, let me take one more guess - Could it be Ghana's neighbours: Côte d'Ivoire

Funnily enough - I am sitting in Abidjan right now. But alas no - it was not Cd'I. Think about who was likely to have been a soccer playing nation in 1930's (especially considering the colonial past of Africa).

South Africa?

Much further north

The man (Giles Gilbert Scott) who designed Waterloo Bridge was responsible for another iconic design that shared the identical curvature as those of the bridges arches.

What was it?

this is ineteresting but obscure. Firth of Forth is the only one I can guess at this stage (also has lovely curves/curvature)