South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Well almost there, but will give it to you CH. The worlds youngest surgeon. At 7 years of age he performed surgery on an 8 year old girl who's hand had been burnt and had fused the fingers to form a fist. It was an illegal operation but the girl's poverty stricen family had heard about the boy genius and had asked him to help. He had learned Shakespeare at the age of 4 and was allowed to watch surgeries performed from the age of six by doctors who noted his incredible knowledge of science. At the age of 12 he now believes he has found a cure for cancer, something he says he discovered at the age of 8 after doing a lot of research on cancer.

Take it away CH, the Bull Whip was the first man made object with which the sound barrier was broken. Although nobody realised it in those days. Chuck Yeager is officially recorded to be the first human to have exceded the speed of sound in an aircraft. 50 years and 1 day later the first man to break the sound barrier on land was Andy Green in the Thrust SSC. And 65 years to the day that Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 aircraft, Felix Baumgartner became the first human to break the soundbarrier without any form of propellant after jumping from a balloon from 39km+ height. Interestingly enough an the very same day Chuck Yeager went up in an aircraft the very same day and also went through the sound barrier, exactly 65 years later.

Geeze my spelling. Not sure why it came about but it is actually the International Organization for Standardization (AmericaniZed) IOS i guess, but i think they saw Apple comming and settled for ISO before Apple could sue them if they said iOS....

I hope this was not your final answer!! :unsure::rolleyes:

Speed rating.

Now we're up to speed...

All your's Cincol.

All tyres have a speed rating --- "maximum permitted speed that the tyre can endure for a period of ten minutes without being in danger of sustaining damage"

L = 120km/h

Y = 300km/h.

My tyres on my Yaris is rated T.

So if I drive flatout down a mineshaft at 190km/h my tyres should hold up just fine.

The airline industry has recently needed to ground 2 different, modern airliners for various "faults". The most recent was the B787 Dreamliner for an electrical fault - operated by ANA - All Nippon Airlines which was also the launch carrier. IMHO the previous grounding was far more serious but had much less hype. What aircraft was involved? [Manufacturer & model] - Bonus points for the 2 carriers that experienced the problems.

The airline industry has recently needed to ground 2 different, modern airliners for various "faults". The most recent was the B787 Dreamliner for an electrical fault - operated by ANA - All Nippon Airlines which was also the launch carrier. IMHO the previous grounding was far more serious but had much less hype. What aircraft was involved? [Manufacturer & model] - Bonus points for the 2 carriers that experienced the problems.

Not something you want to read on the way to the airport (I trust it was not Philippines Airlines or Qatar ;) )

Staying with cricket…

In that same year, South Africa played England in the Semi-finals and rain interrupted play for 12 minutes with South Africa 231/6 off 42.5 overs and the over limit was reduced to 43 overs with the target reduced by 1 to 252. (The SCG scoreboard and the TV coverage incorrectly displayed South Africa needing 22 off 7 balls, then 22 off 1 ball - the actual requirement to win was 21 off 1 ball)

If A Duckworth/Lewis calculation under the rules in 2006 would have been used, what target would South Africa needed to chase down in the 43 overs.