South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

OK - just back from a 2 week business trip - seems like this news is old news. Philippa was a gooid guess but it was Isabelle.

OK a new question related to the Olympics - the top marathon times in the world all belong to African runners. At what number rank is the first non-African runner when it comes to standard marathon times?

Going to take a chance - Salazar - can't think of his first name.

Sorry - poor wording - I am looking for a number - e.g. 8 or 12. All the top times were recorded by Africans.

The fastest non African time I have is by USA athlete Ryan Hall in Boston in 2011

42. The only logical answer :ph34r:

Going to take a chance - Salazar - can't think of his first name.

Sorry - poor wording - I am looking for a number - e.g. 8 or 12. All the top times were recorded by Africans.

The fastest non African time I have is by USA athlete Ryan Hall in Boston in 2011

42. The only logical answer :ph34r:

There is more logic in that answer than you think - but it is less than that - although I initially heard it was higher :?

Through a process of elimination I [or somebody else] would have guessed it eventually.

Reggie Walker was the first South African ever to win a GOLD at the Olympics. He also holds the record as being the YOUNGEST person ever to win this particular discipline. This was in 1908. What did he win it for? [bonus prize - how old was he?]

Through a process of elimination I [or somebody else] would have guessed it eventually.

Reggie Walker was the first South African ever to win a GOLD at the Olympics. He also holds the record as being the YOUNGEST person ever to win this particular discipline. This was in 1908. What did he win it for? [bonus prize - how old was he?]

I was going to suggest one of the obscure artistic disciplines, but I discovered they were only introduced in 1912.

Ummm, Shot put?

In those days it was called the 100 yard Dash! :P His age at the time - 19 years and some odd days - still the youngest ever gold medalist in track and field!

Just like the mile that became the 1500m ;)

Keeping with the theme: Pierre de Coubertin is known as the father of the modern olympics. What is less well known is that he also won a gold medal in 1912. What discipline did he win?

Writing an essay (opstel)?

Close enough. He won the medal in the general literature category, for a poem called "Ode to Sport".

The artistic section was cut from the Olympics because of an argument over the entrants status as amateurs. The sportsmen all had other jobs to do, but the many of the artists were professionals, so it was deemed to be against the Olympic spirit. Based on the fact that this has gone out of the window now, maybe they will bring them back? Probably not...

Full List:

http://olympic-museum.de/art/artcompetition.htm

EDIT: SA won a silver and a bronze, putting us joint 18th on the all time artistic medals list.

Edited by Tara and John

Writing an essay (opstel)?

Close enough. He won the medal in the general literature category, for a poem called "Ode to Sport".

My Goodness - and I along with the rest of the world (apart from the competitors and their mothers) thought that Dressage was the most boring Olympic "sport"

Dressage would be scintillating next looking at a bunch of horrid old poetry!

I think the Vogon's might have been in with a chance for a few gold medals (though I woudl slip in another HHGTTG reference after someone already mentioned 42!)

Trev

PS my spell check and my typing are both still broken would that I coudl spell it right!) -aaaaargh I give up!!!!!

Edited by trevorh7000