South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Could it be The Grosvenor?

Indeed it is. Rumoured to have been carrying around R35mil treasure very little has been found to date despite many attempts over the years! Around 130 survivors started walking to Cape Town with only some 8 completeing the trip. The rest died (murdered or otherwise) or joined tribes along the way. Most of the survivors were actually of Indian origins with only around 18 being of European origin.

I thought it was to do with the raw material used?

Mampoer can be made of almost any fruit with a slight acidity (I know peaches were made famous in the Marico area) - and I guess wit blits would be a grape source?

In Italy grappa is also usually made from grapes - but they make a similar version of mampoer and also call it grappa - even though it is made with other fruits and herbs.

Witblits is made by distilling fermented farm vegetable produce, be it peaches, apricots or similar. Mampoer has as an added ingredient some animal produce, such as mopanie worms. I am not sure what it is called if the farm vegetable produce has gone through the animal, maybe Witpoer?

I thought it was to do with the raw material used?

Mampoer can be made of almost any fruit with a slight acidity (I know peaches were made famous in the Marico area) - and I guess wit blits would be a grape source?

In Italy grappa is also usually made from grapes - but they make a similar version of mampoer and also call it grappa - even though it is made with other fruits and herbs.

You've got it Carbon Hunter.

Witblits is only made from grapes whereas Mampoer can be made from any fruit.

Sir Donald Bradman had a top score of 299. I know he never made a triple. Will go with him.

The Don's highest test score was actually 334. He also scored 304 once, and 299 once. Only problem is, his 299 was a not out...

Eish - On checking again I see now that my reference was only referring to the 1932/33 season - no wonder!! :unsure::rolleyes:

Here goes with a new one then.

He has played more test matches for his country than anybody else and has scored over 4000 test runs more than the next best batsman. He has over 40 test centuries behind his name with an average in excess of 56. He has also taken 275 test wickets with a best of 9/92. Only 3 other players have taken more wickets for their country than him. Who is he?

Sir Donald Bradman had a top score of 299. I know he never made a triple. Will go with him.

The Don's highest test score was actually 334. He also scored 304 once, and 299 once. Only problem is, his 299 was a not out...

Eish - On checking again I see now that my reference was only referring to the 1932/33 season - no wonder!! :unsure::rolleyes:

Here goes with a new one then.

He has played more test matches for his country than anybody else and has scored over 4000 test runs more than the next best batsman. He has over 40 test centuries behind his name with an average in excess of 56. He has also taken 275 test wickets with a best of 9/92. Only 3 other players have taken more wickets for their country than him. Who is he?

Ahem, I'm stil looking for the only man to be out for 299 in a test...

And you are thinking of Jacques Kallis.

Terribly sorry!!! :o :o :o :o I genuinely thought you confirmed it as being Badman.

Consulting my reference again I now see that it was Martin Crowe [vs Sri Lanka '90/'91] but I have screwed this session of questions up completely. :wacko: :wacko: My apologies.

You are indeed correct with Jacques Kallis. :ph34r: So that means in reality it is your turn for a question.

Edited by cincol

Terribly sorry!!! :o :o :o :o I genuinely thought you confirmed it as being Badman.

Consulting my reference again I now see that it was Martin Crowe [vs Sri Lanka '90/'91] but I have screwed this session of questions up completely. :wacko: :wacko: My apologies.

You are indeed correct with Jacques Kallis. :ph34r: So that means in reality it is your turn for a question.

Not a prob;em, figured it was just a mistake ;)

One of us is in Doha Airport, the other is about to start a hockey tournament, so neither of us are in a position to ask questions/check answers. So back to you for a question.

Edited by Tara and John

I seem to recall it is Grahamstown - but I can not think why? Perhaps because the number of permanent buildings during the frontier time was dominated by churches - possibly all named after different saints, and they ran out of names for new churches/streets/schools etc.? That's my guess.

Pretty close - Grahamstown at that time had no less than 52 churches in a small frontier town / city so affectionately was called the "City of Saints".

All yours.