South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

OK - clue needed - Syd De Melcker was better known as a "celebrity" in hos own right and would have been on TV fairly often in his "hey-day" had he been around nowadays.

......probably over the weekend ......

Rugby player?

Yep - Syd de Melcker was a Springbok who toured with Paul Roos to the UK on the tour where the name "Springboks" was first used.

He later married Daisy and was her husband at the time of her conviction and execution. He always believed in her innocence. It was a few years after her death that a gramophone from here estate was sold on an auction. The new owner took it in for a repair a while later and inside a white envelope containing poison powder (Daisy's preferred method) was discovered. On the outside of the envelope was written "For my dear Syd." :ph34r::unsure::yikes:

All yours.

OK - clue needed - Syd De Melcker was better known as a "celebrity" in hos own right and would have been on TV fairly often in his "hey-day" had he been around nowadays.

......probably over the weekend ......

Rugby player?

Yep - Syd de Melcker was a Springbok who toured with Paul Roos to the UK on the tour where the name "Springboks" was first used.

He later married Daisy and was her husband at the time of her conviction and execution. He always believed in her innocence. It was a few years after her death that a gramophone from here estate was sold on an auction. The new owner took it in for a repair a while later and inside a white envelope containing poison powder (Daisy's preferred method) was discovered. On the outside of the envelope was written "For my dear Syd." :ph34r::unsure::yikes:

All yours.

Hmm, a conspiracy...

Easy one (hopefully): Which country has the oldest flag still in use?

I think it is VW - and I guess it is still in the original plant?

Half correct. Indeed VW now own Bentley but they are no longer manufactured in England. The city where the plant is located has a very strong connection to England, albeit not a very nice one. Another clue - the plant is made of glass and the production line can be seen from the street. The actually location is almost in the city centre and located in a beautiful green belt leading to the city centre.

Dresden - the firebombed city?

Spot on! Maybe the next question could give us something about the beautiful city of Dresden? That part of Germany is steeped in history and beauty. When I was last there a nearby village was celebrating 1000 years!!