South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Sorry guys - one chilli too many - when I had to ask a question I had chiilies on my mind - obviously from havinf read about them on the same page as the question I answered - I must admint to feeling more than a little foolish!

Since the question was aksed and annswered and CHl answered my question first go for it Carbon Hunter

I'll make sure I ask a more original question next time!

Trev

OK - with an 80's rewind concert about to happen in Durban this weekend - what do these all have in common?

1985 "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)", Dead or Alive

1987 "Respectable", Mel and Kim

1987 "Let It Be", Ferry Aid, a cover of the 1970 Beatles' hit

1987 "Never Gonna Give You Up", Rick Astley

1987 "I Should Be So Lucky", Kylie Minogue

1989 "Especially for You", Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan

1989 "Too Many Broken Hearts", Jason Donovan

1989 "Hand on Your Heart", Kylie Minogue

1989 "Ferry Cross the Mersey", a cover of the Gerry and the Pacemakers' 1964 hit

1989 "Sealed with a Kiss", Jason Donovan, a cover of the Brian Hyland single

1989 "You'll Never Stop Me Loving You", Sonia

1989 "Do They Know It's Christmas", Band Aid II

1990 "Tears on My Pillow", Kylie Minogue's cover of the 1958 song by Little Anthony and the Imperials

Thanks.... OK I hope this is not too obscure, but cachers have a broad knowledge base so lets see how it goes.

What is a "Jesus nut" ?

The term originated with reference to one specific item but has become a little generic over time, depending on your interests you might know about one that is not the original, I will accept that as being correct.

Thanks.... OK I hope this is not too obscure, but cachers have a broad knowledge base so lets see how it goes.

What is a "Jesus nut" ?

The term originated with reference to one specific item but has become a little generic over time, depending on your interests you might know about one that is not the original, I will accept that as being correct.

This likely has nothing to do with it but in my youth.... I was one of the first guys to do hang gliding in Zim just after it became a sport in the 1970s. My harness was attached to the hang glider (A highway) by a single bolt and nut. We called this the Jesus nut since we said a prayer to it before each flight hoping it would hold! :blink:

This likely has nothing to do with it but in my youth.... I was one of the first guys to do hang gliding in Zim just after it became a sport in the 1970s. My harness was attached to the hang glider (A highway) by a single bolt and nut. We called this the Jesus nut since we said a prayer to it before each flight hoping it would hold!

I will give it to you Zambesi, as I said it has become more of generic term.

"1. Jesus nut

Anything that holds together a critical assembly, such as a main roter on a helicopter. If the nut, bolt ect. in question fails then the equipment will catastrophically fail and everyone in/around it will be on their way to see Jesus."

Apparently the term was first used with reference to the nut holding the main rotors onto a helicopter. If it failed during flight the helicopter would detatch from the rotors and the only thing left for the crew to do would be to pray to Jesus.

The term is now also used by mountain bikers for the pin holding the rear suspension to the frame, if it fails it will obviously have disastourous results.

Another use for the term is found in rock climbing, in which it refers to the first piece of protection placed on a pitch. This piece must be placed to resist an outward pull as well as a downward pull in order to avoid the possibility of a "zipper", in which the outward pull on the rope from the belayer arresting a falling climber pulls protection pieces from the bottom up. In addition, the Jesus Nut prevents the possibility of a factor two fall onto the belay anchor

All yours Zambesi, I learned something too, I never knew you had "hang glided"

Wow - okay - have never posted a question here so....... in keeping with my caching name:

One thinks of many things related to the Zambezi river and not at least the "Big five" What other fearsome beastie could be included to make it the "Big six"

It could be hunted, and has been recorded over a surprisingly wide range but does not occur over the length of the mighty river. It certainly can be dangerous. Not that many folk have seen one. You probably do not want to see one......

What about Trevor?

none close yet - has no one watched Dexter? Its a great show.

trev

We watched it a while ago. I think the nick name was something like "The Butcher" or "The butcher of (something I can't remember)"

Now we are getting somewhere - but that was Dexter himself who was referred to by press and police as the Bayharbour Butcher!

Dexters's brother was also a serial killer and was engaged to Dexters step-sister Deborah.

Trev

mmm no takers - i'll set a new question tomorrow if no one has the answer Dexter was a good an popular series - I am surprised no one has come up with the answer considering some of the esoteric questions that have been answered in the past. Perhaps the brainiacs of the group have no time to spend watching TV and are burying themselves in books and academia!

Trev

Oh and here is a clue his name was Brian and he was a Cruel Thicket Liker

Edited by trevorh7000

Circle Like Trek Hut

ok this i going no where

the answer was

The Ice Truck Killer

And now for something completely different

From whence did The Holy Hand Grenade that was used to kill the Rabbit of Caerbannog - who was blocking the progress of King Arthur and the Knights Errant - originate?

And for your gratification some more info on the Holy Hand Grenade

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of ******* towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."[1]

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Circle Like Trek Hut

ok this i going no where

the answer was

The Ice Truck Killer

And now for something completely different

From whence did The Holy Hand Grenade that was used to kill the Rabbit of Caerbannog - who was blocking the progress of King Arthur and the Knights Errant - originate?

And for your gratification some more info on the Holy Hand Grenade

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of ******* towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."[1]

Trev

Antioch. Now thats more downmy line of cinematic entertainment!

Antioch. Now thats more downmy line of cinematic entertainment!

Quite Right!

For Monty Python neophytes check here for the wikipedia article and here for the yoputube clip

Enjoy!

Trev

OK, after the esoteric nature of some questions was mentioned, how about this one:

Which country was at war with Germany from August 1914 until 25 September 1939 (24 days after the start of WW II)

Let me go Poland - perhaps they signed their surrender then?

Nope. Poland as we know it was only really formed in 1918. It was a country before that, but then got divided up after the Napoleonic wars and only really came into being again after WW I.

Edited by Tara and John

Hungary? Although somehow I think they may have been on germnay's side in WW1?

Too early for the capitulation of Holland - a flyer - what about Russia as I know there was a peace pact in the early past of the war between them?

The Austro-Hungarian empire was indeed part of the Central Powers during WW I. The Netherlands was neutral during WW I. Russia and Germany were at war from 1 August 1914 to 3 March 1918.