South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Saint Lucia (I'm going through my West Indian cricket knowledge here :) )

Correct, with a population of ~170 000 and two Nobel prizes (one literature and one economics), St Lucia averages one Nobel prize for every 85 000 citizens. Not too shabby!

Hey you said you were going to tell us why the QI answer was wrong - I saw that episode recently. What mistake did they make ?

Saint Lucia (I'm going through my West Indian cricket knowledge here :) )

Correct, with a population of ~170 000 and two Nobel prizes (one literature and one economics), St Lucia averages one Nobel prize for every 85 000 citizens. Not too shabby!

Hey you said you were going to tell us why the QI answer was wrong - I saw that episode recently. What mistake did they make ?

The first reason they were wrong was:

Luxembourg (pop ~500 000) does have more Nobel Prize winners per capita than Iceland (pop ~320 000), having collected a second late last year, after the quiz show in question was filmed. There is one country which trumps both though...

I'm not sure how they missed the St Lucia bit, it could have been the fact that both winners were born as British subjects and were no longer living in St Lucia when they won the awards. There was a discussion on the QI forums if you want to read more about it.

Back to you - seems like only two of us on court at the moment :)

I had great plans to steal questions from our local pub quiz last night, but then had to go to a meeting instead. Let me try think of one over lunch before I send it back to you ;)

Ready, Steady, Go!

How many people could live off a day's oxygen from one acre of fir trees?

Nah - this question has a distinct flavour to it that it is aimed squarely at the bunnie huggers on this forum. I need to object to that as not all of us kiss the trees good night every night! You obviously have a soft spot for Carbon Hunter and only want him to answer your question. I have to object to that and say that you are discriminating against us mere mortals who shoot bunnies instead of hugging them! :ph34r:B)

Nah - this question has a distinct flavour to it that it is aimed squarely at the bunnie huggers on this forum. I need to object to that as not all of us kiss the trees good night every night! You obviously have a soft spot for Carbon Hunter and only want him to answer your question. I have to object to that and say that you are discriminating against us mere mortals who shoot bunnies instead of hugging them! :ph34r:B)

You're right, I don't shoot bunnies, too much effort for not enough meat ;)

One of those useless facts I read - when one calculates Father Christmas' carbon footprint

http://www.ethicalocean.com/content/santas-carbon-footprint-infographic

So I seem to recall it was around 19 or 20 people (dependent on where the trees where grown - their size etc.).

My info was eighteen, but that was 4 years ago, and your link is a few months old. I guess an increase in global CO2 would increase 02 production, so close enough, take it away.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Tara and John

Indeed you would. A Zamboni is an ice re-surfacer. It is used to skim a layer of ice off an ice rink and then smooth the surface. It is named after its inventor, an Italian immigrant to the US.

Chilli's are rated for "hotness" on the Scoville scale. Tobasco sauce comes in at around 2500-5000 SHU, Jalapenjo peppers come in at between 2500 and 8000 SHU, but what takes the cake with a rating of 1041427 SHU?

BTW, 6 posts between branding Sea Sheppard ecoterrorists and getting called a bunny hugger, go figure :P

I think it is the "new" Indian chili - not sure of name - Julukia or something like that. If I remember correctly it looks similar to the Savina/Habenero only a bit long and larger.

Close enough, Bhut Jolokia is the Indian name, but its also sometimes called the Ghost Chilli. Someone ate 51 of them in 2 minutes to set the world record. She said she was dissapointed, as she'd managed 60 in a practice run.

Over to cincol...

Correct, The Ninja used to be part of Max Normal, but then he was known as Waddy Tudor Jones.

How Ironic that I should know the answer and flick to the quiz thread at the right time - I HATE DIE ANTWOORD with a passion.

So the next question will have nothing to with DIE ANTWOORD but every thing to do with the answer.

What is recognised as the worlds hottest chilli pepper and its not any type of habanero not by any strecth of the imagination? And for bonus points what is the Scoville rating? This is the heat rating. Tabasco rates at about at about 5000-6000 and habeneroa at about half a million

Trev