South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

At what altitude does water boil at a higher temperature than elsewhere? I hope the question makes sense.

If I understand the question, Sea level. Pressure and temperature are closely linked, and an increase in pressure should make the boiling more difficult, meaning more energy is required. Energy = Temperature, so high pressure, high temperature needed.

Of course, theoretically, one could take an open chamber underwater, fill it with air and then do boiling experiments inside the chamber, meaning that 14000m below sea level (Marianas trench depth) is the theoretical altitutde where boiling occurs at the highest temperature.

At what altitude does water boil at a higher temperature than elsewhere? I hope the question makes sense.

If I understand the question, Sea level. Pressure and temperature are closely linked, and an increase in pressure should make the boiling more difficult, meaning more energy is required. Energy = Temperature, so high pressure, high temperature needed.

Of course, theoretically, one could take an open chamber underwater, fill it with air and then do boiling experiments inside the chamber, meaning that 14000m below sea level (Marianas trench depth) is the theoretical altitutde where boiling occurs at the highest temperature.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Saved me having to type it. :8D: Take it away!

Edited by cincol
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Saved me having to type it. :8D: Take it away!
Thanks cincol, somehow it reminded me about the story of boiling an egg on a mountain (spoiler, it takes longer to boil an egg at higher altitude)What is Alan Smithee's claim to fame?

Aha... this one I know ...I think the question was asked a few pages back cool.gif

Alan Smithee is a pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project. Its however no longer used, there was a movie about it that basically killed the name.(cant remember the name of the movie)

Edited by 7Gryph7
Thanks cincol, somehow it reminded me about the story of boiling an egg on a mountain (spoiler, it takes longer to boil an egg at higher altitude)What is Alan Smithee's claim to fame?

Aha... this one I know ...I think the question was asked a few pages back cool.gif

Alan Smithee is a pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project. Its however no longer used, there was a movie about it that basically killed the name.(cant remember the name of the movie)

Correct, I was watching old episodes of QI and came up with this one, I guess its one of those strange facts that has now become common knowledge.

Wow - I guessed that this may have occured around the time of the Great War with all the developments that took place then in aeroplanes, lucky guess :)

OK - in June 1940, a South African "institution" came into being, after five years in the making, what was it?

Institution in the sense of a well known and instantly recognisable piece of our "culture" and history.

Edited by Carbon Hunter

OK then lets have another go. Oil was first found in Pennsylvania in the US. So I would guess that in those early years not too much was produced world wide. Producing 50% of world production in those days might have been possible then.

You are correct. Many products made from oil were pioneered in Pennsylvania, which was one cause of the oil production, but even without that, Pennsylvania still produces a signifcant quantity of US oil, but this is now surpassed by other worldwide oil production.

Take it away cincol.

Seeing that I live in the Middle East and work in the oil & gas industry here is another one in similar vein.

Which country has the largest reserves of LNG? It is not Qatar BTW. We are only 3rd in the world. Both the others are close by.

Edited by cincol

Seeing that I live in the Middle East and work in the oil & gas industry here is another one in similar vein.

Which country has the largest reserves of LNG? It is not Qatar BTW. We are only 3rd in the world. Both the others are close by.

This is why I thought you'd get my question from the start :D

Does using google maps to check on the countries near to Qatar count as googling?