South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Ding ding ding ding!!!! That is 100% correct. They used the wrong rhino on the R10 note.

Over to you T&J!

Thanks VryBurgers, I'll stick to a theme too. Who said:

"Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all."

Happy points if you can get the year as well.

Who said:

"Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all."

I have just re-read this one and taken some time to think about it.

'South of the Zambesi' makes me think the person who said this was in the then Southern Rhodesia. The only name that comes to mind is Selous. I think his first name was Frederick.

Just a wild shot.

Who said:

I have just re-read this one and taken some time to think about it.

'South of the Zambesi' makes me think the person who said this was in the then Southern Rhodesia. The only name that comes to mind is Selous. I think his first name was Frederick.

Just a wild shot.

Just a wild shot? Enough hunting puns already ;)

Correct! Frederick Selous was a big game hunter in Southern Africa. He was quite an amazing character, credited with being the first conservationist, as the quote suggests. He was Theodore Roosevelt's guide when he hunted in Africa, and guided Cecil John Rhodes on his expedition to Mashonaland.

H. Rider Haggard based the character Alan Quatermain on him as well.

Over to Cownchicken, but I'm still open for anyone who wants to have a guess at the year though?

I think it was Harry die Strandloper dude but I have no idea what he was there for. Probably hustling or murder?

Autshumato, also known as Herry or Harry de Strandloper stole from the Dutch who he felt had cheated him. Because of this, Jan van Riebeeck ordered in 1658 that Autshumato be imprisoned on Robben Island. After one and a half years on the island he and his group escaped from the island on a rowboat.

Let's stay with one of our most (in)famous tourist attractions. Apart from a prison, Robben Island had at least two [2] other uses in the past - what were they?

In the early years it was used as a Post Office for passing ships. Later it was also a leper colony, a whaling station and during the Second World war the Island was fortified to protect Cape Town from possible attack.

:D

Minto Hill.

Indeed :lol:

Built in 1864 on Minto Hill, Robben Island Lighthouse was firstly set as a navigation aid atop this hill (previously Fire Hill) so that VOC ships could be warned of the rocks surrounding the island.

The 18 metres high lighthouse was converted to electricity in 1938 and its flashing light can be seen from a distance of 24 nautical miles.

Over to you CnC :laughing: