South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

THANK YOU, *passes the flag*

:blink:

I am assuming that my answer to the question was correct. :unsure:

If so, then I will ask a question. What happened in Gauteng [then Transvaal] on 10 September 1981 that many people still talk about?

I dont want to answer because I dont have a new question ph34r.gif but if reports can be believed it happened again today?

Which well known town in the Western Cape has had its name enter the English lexicon as a rather unflattering verb?

Some people use the verb "mafik" as in to celebrate. This was because of the celebration of the lifting of the siege of Mafikeng, which is not in the WC and is not all that unflattering. Its just interesting :)

I don't know if any of you listen to the quiz questions on Cape Talk in the afternoon but this afternoon someone called Ben combined this question and answer and the answer that @Tara and John gave to ask John Maytham which two ZA towns names have become verbs in the English language. Well, Ben stumped him and John went off and confirmed that both answers are correct!

Well done Ben! (if he read it here) :P

Which well known town in the Western Cape has had its name enter the English lexicon as a rather unflattering verb?

Some people use the verb "mafik" as in to celebrate. This was because of the celebration of the lifting of the siege of Mafikeng, which is not in the WC and is not all that unflattering. Its just interesting :)

I don't know if any of you listen to the quiz questions on Cape Talk in the afternoon but this afternoon someone called Ben combined this question and answer and the answer that @Tara and John gave to ask John Maytham which two ZA towns names have become verbs in the English language. Well, Ben stumped him and John went off and confirmed that both answers are correct!

Well done Ben! (if he read it here) :P

:D I'm still waiting for one of these to pop up in our local pub quiz, so that I can amaze the "crowd"

Hottentots-Holland?

Yup well done for a non-capetonian. It is the old pass over the mountains which was replaced by Sir Lowry's pass - there is a cache at the top of the old pass called Ou spore Ou spore link- worth looking at to see the pictures submitted by cachers showing the grooves in the rocks made by the ox wagons in the time the pass was used.

Over to you VryBurgers

Interesting, Tomtwogates. I'll remember that for next time I am in the Cape.

Genl CR de Wet was captured near Vryburg at Waterbury. What was he arrested for and what was interesting about his capture?

Its a new month and no answers so I'lll take a stab (its late - or early) so here goes :-

The good general was arrested for the illicit love affair he was having with his pet goat Bokkie, The interesting part was that when the local constabulary came to arrest him he was found In flagrante delicto. The general was cuffed and carted away on the back of an ox wagon. Bokkie suffered a much more unfortunate fate. Her throat was slit and she was turned into, according the the commandant, "the most agreeable biltong". His wife was equally pleased with her nice new warm pair of sippers and matching handbag.

To this day the general and his goat are fondly remembered in the colloquial saying of disapproval - "Dit's uit soos boknaai!" (ha ha no dadgum here!!! or is that on another forum?!)

I'll ask my question in advance ;) What was the commandants name?

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Hehehe. No he was arrested because he supported the rebellion of 1914. What did make it interesting though is that while he and his companions were on horseback riding out of the Orange Free State, the chasing party were in motor vehicles. Eventually the horses had to rest and it was then that they were arrested.

But Carbon, liven up this forum a bit and give us a question!

Hehehe. No he was arrested because he supported the rebellion of 1914. What did make it interesting though is that while he and his companions were on horseback riding out of the Orange Free State, the chasing party were in motor vehicles. Eventually the horses had to rest and it was then that they were arrested.

But Carbon, liven up this forum a bit and give us a question!

Carbon Hunter is in Italy and India on business until end of next week. Perhaps another question should be posed VB?

2 Springboks hold the record for the most tries scored - 38 tries each. Who are these 2 guys?

Joost vdw and Bryan Habana. Habana has taken an age to get from 30 to 38, after scoring his first 30 in a stupidly small number of tests.

Shot guys - over to GHT for a question. :P

Guys? I think you can guess which of us got that one ;)

The Island of Yap is famous for having the largest what?

Yap? Where the heck is Yap? A guess would be the largest ratio of women to men in the world per square er Island size... although this would seem a little unlikely to be the right answer... mmm

How about the largest population of dogs?

Yap is an island in the Pacific, part of Micronesia. Not sure what their dog population is like, but thats not the answer I'm after. Man/Woman ratio is unlikely as well, given their warrior background.

The largest currency? Might they be one of those islands that uses bog stones as currency?

Correct. Yap is known for their stone coins. Many are too large to move, so when they change ownership they are left in place. The largest are about 4m high and the heaviest apparently needs 20 adult men to move it.

The value of the coin is based on the size and the history of the stone. They are used mostly for ceremonial transactions, day to day stuff is paid for in USD.