South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

7Gryph7 was close - but CINCOL gets the nod.

Well done - yep - apart from internal internment of South Africans suspected of having sympathies with the Axis forces, it was also the location of a POW camp for Italian and some German forces.

I wonder if there is a cache on the site?

HAha remembered the name had something to do with koffie hehe. the rest I ... uhmm...guessed... wrong... hehelaughing.gif

Regarding his siblings. Ill go for 12

Edited by 7Gryph7

Ok this is not going anywhere fast.

Alan Smithee was a pseudonym used by film directors if they wished to disown a project.

The use of it ended in 2000 after a film " An Alan Smithee film burn hollywood burn" drew to much negative attention to the use of it.

Carbon Hunter can take the turn as he was the only one that ventured a guess.smile.gif

Hmmmmmm.... interesting. I read a book by Clive Cussler that might have had a clue, but I can't remember what it was. Let me give it a go: he had them pay him tribute and it would in today's terms be equal to a couple billion dollars?

Nope, I doubt there were financial transactions involved here

I think I saw something on TV a few months back about him fathering many children, if I am not mistaken over a 1000. I am not sure but I believe that women from the villages he visited/conqured were brought to him every night... Not sure how to quantify it other than there are a lot of Khans in the world....

I think I saw something on TV a few months back about him fathering many children, if I am not mistaken over a 1000. I am not sure but I believe that women from the villages he visited/conqured were brought to him every night... Not sure how to quantify it other than there are a lot of Khans in the world....

That will do, well done

It turns out that nearly 8% of all men in the territories that he "conquered" have a y Chromosome that is nearly identical to his. This means that nearly .5% of the worlds male population are related to him.

see here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/02/0214_030214_genghis.html

Almost fifty years ago, a man by the name of Walter Schirra entered a photo supply shop and purchased a standard consumer camera.... He took some pictures that were a first and paved the way for the future of the brand, of what did he take pictures and what brand camera was it.

Close but not close enough... OK I will give it to you...

Astronaut Walter M. Schirra went to a camera shop in Houston, Texas and purchased a off the shelf Hasselblad 500 C. NASA then modified the camera for Schirra to take on his Mercury-Atlas 8 (Sigma 7) mission in 1962. From that point NASA and the little camera company from Sweden started a cooperation that lead to some of the most memorable photographs of 20th century. 12 Hasselblads were also left behind on the moon to make space for 25kg of moon rock. It is to me one of the best cameras I have ever taken photos with. (My dad has one) Although it is a costly matter now days to do film photos, the quality of the pictures far outclasses many digital cameras even today.

Take it away Cincol....

Think it was 1979, Enterprise and it only flew on the back of a modified 747....

wazat - you are half right 3/4 wrong!! :blink: Enterprise is indeed correct but the year it FLEW was 1977. It did do a number of piggyback flights only but also did actually detach a number of times so that the landings could be practised. It always landed on a dry lake bed and only made 1 landing on the Edwards AFB concrete runway.

You may now ask your half question! :ph34r:

Chimera - Is it not a distant relative of mine? :)

On a serious note and a wild guess is it not the flying lion/hawk thingy?

:unsure:

Is that not a griffin/griffon/gryphon ?

A Chimera is part human part animal I think.

Trev

the Gryphon is indeed the creature with the lions body and the eagles head and wings.

but no, the chimera has no human part.

Chimera - Is it not a distant relative of mine? :)

On a serious note and a wild guess is it not the flying lion/hawk thingy?

:unsure:

Is that not a griffin/griffon/gryphon ?

A Chimera is part human part animal I think.

Trev

the Gryphon is indeed the creature with the lions body and the eagles head and wings.

but no, the chimera has no human part.

I remember from MI 2 that Chimera was (in the movie) a deadly virus, named after the Greek Mythology creature, but as far as I remember, I have no idea what the creature was. All I know is it was deadly, and caused many to die. I would, uhm... guess, it was the 3-headed hell-hound that was kept by the god of the underworld to prevent souls from escaping Hades?

@Black james cash: Nope - the 3 headed hound is Cerberus

The answer I was looking for is that the Chimera/Chimaera , was according to Greek myth a fire breathing creature composed from the body and head of a lioness, a head of a goat as well, and a tail that ends with the head of a snake.

I will however give it to you for remembering the virus in MI2. The term chimera has also come to describe an impossible or foolish fantasy.

Edited by 7Gryph7

:shocked: Oh, wow! Thank you very much! I was entering my own Chimera in that case, as I was suffering from a severe case of wishful thinking...

I was thinking of a question relating to Bruce Lee, the Chinese Actor. The question was inspired by a cache in Centurion, GC2KG50.

In one of his movies, Bruce Lee fights the World Karate Champion, played by the famous actor Chuck Norris, and kills him.

I want to know: What is the name of the movie? If you are unsure, I would take the city where the story unfolds as half an answer... :ph34r:

Edited by Black James Cash