South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I'll go with Sannie. P_erhaps it had a number SA N(umber)1?

OK - Sannie it was. The name was derived from the registraion number of the aircraft - ZS-SAN - which then became known affectionately as "Sannie". SAA's first ever B747-200 is now on display at the SA Museum at Rand Airport.

Then it would be Mafadi (in the Injesuthi area), which at the time of the measurment of Makheke was found to be 3.5 to 4 m lower. Although at the time the measurements were not all that accurate the instruments of the time were not all that accurate. In fact there is another peak nearby that was registered just a little lower than Makheke, this one is near Mafadi and is called Ubutswane. Surveying in the mid 1940's was interesting to say the least. Now although my source for info is a very detailed publication of the Drakensberg (Barrier of Spears, R.O. Pearce), there is no mention of the Height of Mafadi except that it is about 4m lower in those days so a difference of 10m will be possible. There is no mention of it in the list of highest peaks in the South African side of the list so it may be on the Lesotho side. If not then that makes Mafadi the higest peak in South Africa. There is usually a lot of debate as to where the border is and sometimes the edge of the escarpment is given or slightly beyond. First publication of the Barrier of Spears was 1973 and I see copyright date in my book is 2006 so it is possible that it may be debated as to which side it is on. I have not looked at Mapsource as yet but I am sure that will clarify it a bit better. The next thing is to get a cache up there.... Just not now it is too cold and covered in snow.... <_<

As a matter of interest, many peaks in the Drakensberg are not named. I have not had a look at topographic maps of the area but my Forgotten Waypoint cache in Lesotho, is on an unnamed Peak it would seem.... at least that is what my Topo Maps from Garmin say. So for now you may say that the higest cache in Southern Africa is on Wazat's Peak.... LoL.

Edited by Wazat

Wazat - you're it (I somehow thought it would be you). I guess the term peak often refers to a free standing rather than just an elevated part of the escarpment. But Mafadi is considered the highest point in SA (but as you rightly say - the border is in contention). I had always taken the watershed as the border - therefore the highest point would be on the border - so classified aas at least partly in SA.

You're it.

It must be the Great Flower of Understanding. After searching the whole world, someone found this flower growing only in this little piece of the mountains. He used this flower as medicine to try to understand how the mind of a woman works. And one day he managed to understand a woman. But it was only for one day, and it was only one woman. :lol:

Or it can be some kind of mushroom or fungi...?

Ditto. Well done Wazat. You've stumped us all. Obviously no gardeners in this group. Give us the answer and another question. See if you can make it two stumps in a row. :rolleyes:

You really shouldn't give wazat a challenge like that - you might regret it! :ph34r:

Stumped indeed. Quite interesting that the word stumped was used. As this is a cricket term and interestingly enough, they use a certain flower as their emblem... The Protea.

Now the Protea Nubigena grows in a small patch on a steep ridge of Policemans Helmet in the Royal Natal National Park. First discovered in July of 1964 by Elise Esterhuizen one of SA's leading Botanists at the time. Been Winter though the plant was not in flower. It was not until 1978 that a Dr John Rourke was able to visit the spot, and list them as a new species. They grow on a steep, South-West facing slope, high in the clouds. Nubigena means "Born of the clouds", and this spot barely 20m by 10m, is the only place in the world where they grow. None have been discovered anywhere else in the Drakensberg. So steep is the slope on which they grow that it is almost impossible to reach them without a rope. There are probably not more than 50 plants altogether....

Right Staying in the Drakensberg... I am discovering a few things there...

In the history of Drakensberg rescues something was used for the first time in the rescue of 15 students stranded on the Amphitheater from 29th April to the 4th June 1959, what was it?

Edited by Wazat