South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Hey carbon hunter. You're taking some serious stabs in the dark there :P

I have to say, I admire your logic

:D :D - I just remember one of those trick questions at Sunday School and youth groups - only adam, eve, cain and abel on earth - Cain kills abel - therefore 25% of earths population gone :)

So not sure if it is another historical figure

Rottcher's Winery in Muden.

Welcome back cincol - all yours - yep - the grandfather started the Sonnengold winery in Muden - then in the 1950's a grandson started another one in White River, but tried more traditional type wines rather than the sweeter liquer base. More recently, they have moved back to the liquer type wines.

Bouts - yers Muden is between reytown and Weenen - the original winery is no more - but a family member (I think grand-daughter) has recently purchased the land and runs a B&B - so perhaps it will reopen in the future?

Edited by Carbon Hunter

I also had to use Google to get to the right answer and learned a few this about this. I hid my first cache at the previous premises but had to archive it after the shop moved. The shop is now at one of my other caches at Casterbridge where you can still taste very interesting orange wines/liquers which include ginger, chili and cream.

OK - my guesses - agricultural (citrus and livestock) or archeological - there were some amazing rock art finds down there from the late stone age and some good fishing in the Mooi plus some peripheral activity on the Zulu wars.

But I will go for something economically based - I'd say there were precious metal deposits found - and mine activity was started.

OK - my guesses - agricultural (citrus and livestock) or archeological - there were some amazing rock art finds down there from the late stone age and some good fishing in the Mooi plus some peripheral activity on the Zulu wars.

But I will go for something economically based - I'd say there were precious metal deposits found - and mine activity was started.

When you "play the board" like GEO936 then based on the balance of probabilities you are likely to hit the right number at some point in time! :rolleyes: I think you need to be a little more specific on this one now that you have mentioned just about everything there is to mention. :P Let me say that you have mentioned the correct "answer" but I will need you to now elaborate a bit on it in order to qualify. :ph34r:

When you "play the board" like GEO936 then based on the balance of probabilities you are likely to hit the right number at some point in time! :rolleyes: I think you need to be a little more specific on this one now that you have mentioned just about everything there is to mention. :P Let me say that you have mentioned the correct "answer" but I will need you to now elaborate a bit on it in order to qualify. :ph34r:

Ha! Ha! Poor GEO936...is it only the "3" part aka Silvia that participates...so please don't think it is poor Rolf! I get all creative with my answers because I'm not allowed to use my good friend Google! I would also say that this had something to do with Royalty...didn't Queen Elizabeth visit RSA in the early 60's?

OK - a citrus fruit industry - navel oranges perhaps?

Close enough. Yep, Muden was the home of the Outspan navel orange export area. The road was tarred in order to get the product to Durban harbour for export. As I kid I remember the old Railways trucks [i think they were all Diamond-T trucks] lumbering up the hills with their loads. Unfortunately for the citrus industry the farmers realized that sugar was more profitable and ripped up all the citrus orchards and replaced them with sugar cane. The rest is history. In order to survive the citrus industry looked further afield for suitable places and so the dimise of the citrus industry in the Muden Valley.

Over to you.

I suppose that was also why the Ornage Winery is no more.

OK - in which year were the first confirmed AIDS cases diagnosed in South Africa?

I cannot remember the exact date [circa 1982?] but I do remember that the indivdual was a Cabin Crew Steward with SAA that was frequently on the New York run. I seem to remember that New York featured prominantly for some reason. :unsure:

Rustenburg was one of the lesser known "centres" of the Boer War. Not far from Rustenburg one of the better known Boer Generals made a name for himself as the result of a particular battle. Who was he? And for a bonus what did he do that the British were particularly peeved off about? Extra bonus - name the battle! :P

Is this the battle linked to Helvetia and Nooitgedacht where the newly appointed Brit Commander got 3 consequetive bloody noses - and was almost relieved of his duties.

Aprranetly his friend Arthur Conan Doyle (not Sir yet) interceded and prevented him getting the boot :) - World War 1 could have been so much more different if that had happened.

Interesting question. As a student of the Boer War I am ashamed to say that I would have to look it up! I do know that Paul Kruger had a farm close to Rustenburg...

Kruger had a number of farms in the Rustenburg area. In fact 2 of the Tonteldoos Series caches are located on 2 of them. But sorry, he is not the name I am looking for. <_<

Was it maybe Gen Koos de la Rey? He had a farm in the Lichtenburg district. The British soldiers could not capture him.

de la Rey is was indeed. He ambushed a British convoy near the modern day Buffelspoort Dam [near Marikana and Mooinooi] in what became known as the Battle of Buffelspoort. The Battle of Buffelspoort (Vanwykspruit) took place on 3rd December 1900.

After the occupation of Pretoria the Western Transvalers had surrendered practically en masse. But since July 1900 the 53-year-old General de la Rey had succeeded remarkably in bringing the commandos back into action in the vast region under his command and by the beginning of December he was looking anxiously for an opportunity of giving the enemy a real thrashing. Apart from other considerations, the burghers' clothes were wearing out and his Mauser ammunition was becoming so exhausted that it was becoming necessary to change over to Lee-Enfield rifles. For all these requirements De la Rey was, of course, dependent upon the seemingly inexhaustible resources of the British Army.

His chance came on Monday 3rd December 1900. Assisted by State Attorney Jan Smuts, now one of his generals at the age of 30, he suddenly overran part of an enemy convoy at Buffelspoort on the road from Pretoria to Rustenburg on the northern side of the Magaliesberg - a route which the British, with fatal assurance, had considered to be “as safe as Piccadilly”. Approximately 120 soldiers were put out of action and 126 fully loaded wagons were captured containing, in addition to supplies such as boots and clothes, a variety of delicacies and Christmas presents for the garrison at Rustenburg.

At the memorial I have a cache - Battle of Buffelspoort

I don't have the answer but it immediately made me think of "Riemvasmaak" - I think there is a place with such a name, and it probably has the same etymology. Interesting. Sounds like an outspan place - place with possibly water and trees were you can "outspan" the oxen by "maaking vas their rieme" - how's that for mixing languages...

Was it maybe Gen Koos de la Rey? He had a farm in the Lichtenburg district. The British soldiers could not capture him.

de la Rey is was indeed. He ambushed a British convoy near the modern day Buffelspoort Dam [near Marikana and Mooinooi] in what became known as the Battle of Buffelspoort. The Battle of Buffelspoort (Vanwykspruit) took place on 3rd December 1900.

After the occupation of Pretoria the Western Transvalers had surrendered practically en masse. But since July 1900 the 53-year-old General de la Rey had succeeded remarkably in bringing the commandos back into action in the vast region under his command and by the beginning of December he was looking anxiously for an opportunity of giving the enemy a real thrashing. Apart from other considerations, the burghers' clothes were wearing out and his Mauser ammunition was becoming so exhausted that it was becoming necessary to change over to Lee-Enfield rifles. For all these requirements De la Rey was, of course, dependent upon the seemingly inexhaustible resources of the British Army.

His chance came on Monday 3rd December 1900. Assisted by State Attorney Jan Smuts, now one of his generals at the age of 30, he suddenly overran part of an enemy convoy at Buffelspoort on the road from Pretoria to Rustenburg on the northern side of the Magaliesberg - a route which the British, with fatal assurance, had considered to be “as safe as Piccadilly”. Approximately 120 soldiers were put out of action and 126 fully loaded wagons were captured containing, in addition to supplies such as boots and clothes, a variety of delicacies and Christmas presents for the garrison at Rustenburg.

At the memorial I have a cache - Battle of Buffelspoort

This was almost part of a major turning point in the Boers favour - Kitchener had just taken control of the Brits and lost 3 battles in a row (Buffelspoort, Helvetia and Nooitgedacht). This provided really bad press in Britain (especially as all of them occurred around Christmas/New Year when the war was supposed to be over ..... again). Linked to this, Emily Hobhouse was providing graphic accounts of the atrocities in the concentration camps. Suddenly this little African adventure (remember the Brits already lost one war here) was becoming all to much. There was building pressure on Kitchener to be fired - or the Brits to withdraw and concentrate on European politics rather. But Arthur Conan Doyle and others used their influence in in the parliamentary circles to keep Kitchener in power, and he managed a few victories - and then went on to get the Boer surrender - and finally led the British in World War 1. So this little battle almost had a major change on world history. I love it how something small can be linked to something so big.

Another great cache is: Battle of Helvetia (near Machadodorp)