South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Mr. Carbon Hunter knows his rugby...

Back in 1949 there was an air of arrogance in New Zealand...

They believed that they were invincible...

There was a tour of South Africa which included 4 tests...

At the same time Australia toured New Zealand...

So it happened that on the afternoon of 3 September New Zealand captained by Johnny Smith was beaten 11–6 by Australia in Wellington. That same afternoon in South Africa New Zealand captained by Ron Elvidge lost 9–3 to the Springboks in Durban...

New Zealand went on to lose all 6 tests they played in that time (2 to Australia / 4 to South Africa).

Over to you Carbon Hunter..

It's one of those really odd pieces of trivia that just seems to hang around - really fun.

And now for something a little different - General Sir James Abbott, a Bristish officer serving in the Indian Army in the 19th Century has just been in the news in the past week - how and why?

Oops. In my excitement to answer i forgot that I have to have a question ready to ask so I'm a bit unprepared for this. seeing as it's my first time I'll weigh in with an easy one. A few questions back, the band eVoid was discussed. It invoked a lot of memories as I went to school with their brother and used to hang around outside the catholic halls on a Friday night listening to their music. In truth they weren't all that good in the start up years as they were more of a grunge band in those early days. Their music improved tremendously after we left school. Enough parephenalia

What South African town did the Windrich brothers (eVoid) start their musical career in?

Lucky guess. I knew it wasn't the afrikaans girl so it had to be her. off the topic of tennis and into sheep.

There was a man named Shepard that did two spectacular things. 1 in the 60's and one in the 70's in similar vein.

three questions

1) In what line of work was he?

2) What did he do in the 60's that was so spectacular?

3) What did he do in the 70's that was so spectacular that wasn't the same but in a similar vein.

Only three correct answers will do for this one.

There was a man named Shepard that did two spectacular things. 1 in the 60's and one in the 70's in similar vein.

three questions

1) In what line of work was he?

2) What did he do in the 60's that was so spectacular?

3) What did he do in the 70's that was so spectacular that wasn't the same but in a similar vein.

1 Pilot and Astronaut - although I prefer the term Space Cadet.

2 First American in space - Yuri and the Soviets were first.

3. Bit of a guess and I'd say first space walk or first American spacewalk?

Trev

Around 1948 I would guess - maybe earlier.

Where I have no clue, sure it wasn't Kingston.

Should have paid more attention during those VH1 programs on the life of Bob Marley.

I do however remember his wife Rita and girlfriend Cindy (former Miss World)

Edited by cownchicken

6 Feb 1945, Rhoden Hall , Jamaika

Well, well, well

I had never heard of Rhoden Hall until now. I was looking for Nine Mile. Googling privides lots of references to the fact that bob was born there but nothing on the place it self - confusing.

I guess you are it.

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000