South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

It is a continous loop with a twist - 2 things can happen if you cut it (dending where the cut is) - you either end with 2 interlocking loops - or a really big loop (depending if you cut in the middle - or 1/3 across.

Well done CH - MC Esher a Dutch graphic artist did a great drawing of one

escher26.jpg

over to you

It is a continous loop with a twist - 2 things can happen if you cut it (dending where the cut is) - you either end with 2 interlocking loops - or a really big loop (depending if you cut in the middle - or 1/3 across.

The book "Godel, Escher, Bach - an eternal golden braid" by Douglas Hofstadter is a fascinating book that had me thinking back in varsity days, when one is predisposed to thinking. It explores recursiveness (turning on itself) in mathematics (Godel), art (Escher) and music (Bach). It is quite fascinating how themes can express themselves in such diverse disciplines. The parallels between art and music is well known. Escher's mobius strip is discussed in that book. My signature line also comes from there - which is a literary example of Esher's endless drawings and Bach's music which returns on itself in a similar way.

Edited by the pooks

Largest traffic circle?

You have me wondering now.... I have no idea actually if there is one Traffic circle in Newcastle.... To my knowledge there are none.... And I have been on every single street in Newcastle.... mmm I really must think back now... But nope still not right. :unsure:

Largest traffic circle?

You have me wondering now.... I have no idea actually if there is one Traffic circle in Newcastle.... To my knowledge there are none.... And I have been on every single street in Newcastle.... mmm I really must think back now... But nope still not right. :unsure:

Im trying to picture the map "book" of Newcastle - is it an A4 page with the map on one side and the index on the other?

Largest traffic circle?

Im trying to picture the map "book" of Newcastle - is it an A4 page with the map on one side and the index on the other?

Yep... something like that... although we have bigger ones.... probably more A5 size... but that is not the answer yet....