South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Not so easy - I remember it was towards the end of 1989 - but I do not remeber the date - November or december I think - towards the end of the Varisty year.

The year is correct and you almost have the month correct - which one is it? Clue: The same month WW2 ended officially.

Clue for the day...one of our numbers....

OK - 9 (first one :D)

WW2 ended in Sept (VJ) and May (VE)? Perhaps you meant WW1? - November

Year - 1989

Sorry yes, meant the one that ended in November...thought it was WW2

But you got it! On 09 November 1989 it was official that the Berlin Wall would come down! I was in Matric during that time and still remember the euphoria around that. When I went to Berlin for the first time in 2004, it was the first thing I wanted to see, as there are still sections of the wall that have remained intact to show tourists.

Your go CH!

Edited by GEO936

Emilio Marcos Palma (born January 7, 1978) is an Argentine national who is the first person known to be born on the continent of Antarctica. Emilio weighed 7½ pounds (3.4 kg) when born in Fortín Sargento Cabral at the Esperanza Base near the tip of the Antarctic peninsula. His father, Captain Jorge Emilio Palma, was head of the Argentine army detachment at the base. While ten other people have since been born on Antarctica, Palma's birthplace remains the most southerly of anyone in history.

Appears as though this thread has started losing its appeal recently. :unsure: Perhaps the questions need to be geared more towards caching then? :blink:

Originally the Jeep was developed for the US military with the required specs that it should be a "general purpose all terrain vehicle". The prototype was referred to as "GP vehicle" from which the name JEEP was derived.

New question - Many GPSr's now have the suffix HCx or HC or Hx. [ie: eTrex Vista HCx] What does the "H" stand for?

Ok, here goes....

Google got its name from a googel, with I think is a 10 to the power of 10 * a hundred zeroes.

it was two varsity students who came up with the program / algorithm for the, what is now known, as the google search engine, and when they had to get paid for something, the check that was made out to them was spelt incorrectly as "Google", and from there the name seemed to have stuck.

Wat I love about google though is their head office is called GooglePlex ... complex ... Googleplex ... just love the wordplay.

Ok, here goes....

Google got its name from a googel googol, with I think is a 10 to the power of 10 * a hundred zeroes.

it was two varsity students who came up with the program / algorithm for the, what is now known, as the google search engine, and when they had to get paid for something, the check that was made out to them was spelt incorrectly as "Google", and from there the name seemed to have stuck.

Wat I love about google though is their head office is called GooglePlex ... complex ... Googleplex ... just love the wordplay.

Yep, that's it.

A googol = 1 x 10100, and a googolplex is even a bigger number = 1 x 10googol.

I wouldn't mind a cheque like that, even if it was Zimdollars...

DamhuisClan, shoot!