South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Kicked the oppositions penalty away before they could take it?

You might not know the name Ilunga Mwepu. But you’ve probably seen him in action. Mwepu is the famous Zaire right back who cleared a Brazilian free kick in a 1974 World Cup group game by lashing it up the field. Before the Brazilians had chance to take it.

Obviously you can’t do that. So obviously Mwepu was booked (much to his surprise, apparently). In some ways you have to credit Mwepu for his quick thinking. In other ways you have to despair at his lack of football knowledge.

Edited by Wazat

Yes - but there have been days when MORE wickets fell on a single day of play - but this was the ONLY day in test cricket history that "something" occured. It could not have occurred without the wickets all falling :)

Technically Hansie Cronje and Nasser Hussein came close when they both declared their innings for ZERO in January 2000 in Pretoria (Centurion).

Nope - more to do with the 21 wickets in the day leading to the only time in the history of test cricket that ......

All of WHAT (or part of what) occurred on a single day of a test match?

Think about the clues

Got IT (I think)

4 innings in one day

Must Be!

Logic - start the day with 9 down in the first innings - 1 wicket closes innings 1, then 20 wickets closes innings 2 and 3 leaving innings 4 to start!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Nope - more to do with the 21 wickets in the day leading to the only time in the history of test cricket that ......

All of WHAT (or part of what) occurred on a single day of a test match?

Think about the clues

Got IT (I think)

4 innings in one day

Must Be!

Logic - start the day with 9 down in the first innings - 1 wicket closes innings 1, then 20 wickets closes innings 2 and 3 leaving innings 4 to start!

Trev

Yep - you're it - it is the ONLY day ever in test cricket history where part of ALL 4 innings were played on the same day.

you're it Trev

He also wrote:

(Trev, I think your'e in trouble... :lol: )

"Ah, yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow"—

I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it;

But I can tell you Anyhow

I'll Kill you if you Quote it!"

I've never seen a purple cow.

My eyes with tears are full.

I've never seen a purple cow,

And I'm a purple bull

Indeed he did - but you never said who he was

Interesting thing in reading up some more on it today I learned the writer was not who I had in mind - I think the first article I researched had an incorrect attribution.

Trev

Indeed he did - but you never said who he was

Nope, googled it. :o

Yes I think this one might be a bit tough so just for completeness the dudes name was Gelett Burgess,

SO here is some verse by the dude I was actually thinking of - someone a lot more obvious I believe.

The one-L lama,

He's a priest.

The two-L llama,

He's a beast.

And I would bet

A silk pajama

There isn't any

Three-L lllama.

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000