South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Graeme Pope-Ellis? Don't know if I have the name right but he died tragically in a tractor accident on his farm just a few months ago - tractor fell on top of him. He must have farmed in the area. I think he was about 65 and has been canoeing since the early '70s

That's the name I was thinking of. He ruled the Dusi in both singles and doubles for most of the 70's and 80's.

I did not know about his tragic death :) - that is so sad.

You're it pooks.

There are some long timers in the canoeing business - it must be a healthy lifestyle. We have a nearby farmer Giel van Deventer who has done the Berg River canoe marathon 40 times! I wonder who the long time record holders are for Cape argus and Comrades - don't know the answer so won't ask that question.

Here is something I can't imagine someone would know, but geocachers have had me wrong on this assumption before, so will give it a go. No takers I'll post another question.

No self respecting South African will be found camping without that ubiquitous blue CADAC gas bottle for the requisite breakfast fry-up or to have the gas lamp singing away to the mozzies at night. But what does CADAC stand for?

Ok. The male part of Nish4, and I, the male part of DamhuisClan, have something very uniquely in common.

What is it?

A five letter word that starts with "P" and ends with "s"?

Hmm. Maybe not general knowledge, but I would think it is an "interesting fact" and quite a co-indecent.

Ok. Pietermaritzburg has the largest of something in the world. What is it?

mmm PMBurg has got a Victorian pavilion at the cricket club - it was unique but not particularly large...; Cascades, Worlds view, the hospital (forget the name)? I stayed in PMBurg for 2 years, but nothing comes to mind

A five letter word that starts with "P" and ends with "s"?

:blink::):D:D:D:D:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hmm. Maybe not general knowledge, but I would think it is an "interesting fact" and quite a co-indecent.

Ok. Pietermaritzburg has the largest of something in the world. What is it?

Oh oh, I got the "world" part wrong .. Sorry!!

Its the biggest in the "Southern Hemisphere"

So to re-state the question:

Pietermaritzburg has the largest of something in the Southern Hemisphere?

Just the other day I read about an air force base that was stationed at Darling in the West Coast during the War.. The planes would fly out and attack ships trying to sail around Africa...

Can't remember too much detail about it, but that was about the gist of it...

Could that be it?

Can't remember reading about Operation Names...

Just the other day I read about an air force base that was stationed at Darling in the West Coast during the War.. The planes would fly out and attack ships trying to sail around Africa...

Can't remember too much detail about it, but that was about the gist of it...

Could that be it?

Can't remember reading about Operation Names...

Great guess - but not.

I was actually looking for something on the search for U-Boats along the SA coast during WW2 when this was found.

This was an actual operation in which a force of "allies" attacked an "axis" territory.