South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

All Blacks '95

TRY!!!!!

They played Wales and Ireland in round robin, beat Scotland in quarters and England in semis. It is not recognised as a grand slam, and I think the probability of happening again is slim, pure fluke that the draw allowed it to happen.

I pass the ball to you.

Ah yes I heard something about this on my fave quiz show over here. Werent the games used to smuggle information etc to the prisoners, that they could use to escape or some other inside intel.

Somehow had some secret hidden information printed in the games.

Ah yes I heard something about this on my fave quiz show over here. Werent the games used to smuggle information etc to the prisoners, that they could use to escape or some other inside intel.

Somehow had some secret hidden information printed in the games.

Well done Discombob.

esclett.jpg

At that time, Waddingtons were one of the few that were able to print on silk. Silk ( and then later other fabrics) was ideal for maps because it would not tear, was not affected by water and was silent if it had to be used in stealth. Waddingtons hid the maps, as well as small files etc and local currency (currency hidden between monopoly money) in games that went out for distibution to POW camps. Boxes were specially marked by placing dots on differing parts of the box to identify which local maps were contained in the game. Before being sent on mission the airmen were told to look for specially marked games delivered by charity groups.

A few links can be found here and here . Hope you enjoyed the question.

ok heres a slightly different question.

In Spain, they like to translate English movies into Spanish. In the Spanish version of Terminator 2, what was the translation of the famous Arnie Phrase "Hasta la vista, baby", as they couldn't leave it as is, surely!

I'll give you a clue right up, they kept the "baby" as is.

I dont expect anyone to know it, but it can be guessed, so go wild with your guesses!

Wow - what an opening day for the World Cup! Sticking with that theme.....

No one in Cape Town who watched the construction of the new stadium could have failed to be impressed by the number of cranes that were used. Few know, however, that there was something unique about one of the crane drivers on the site. What is it?

2010_cranes_s.jpg

GO BAFANNA!!!

Was one of them maybe a woman?

Correct with the first answer. Zoliswa Gila is the country's first female crane operator. She was trained by the by the main contractor as part of the skills transfer requirement of the project. She was also chosen to present President Jacob Zuma with a pair of gold-coloured soccer boots when he visited the stadium for the one-year countdown to the 2010 FIFA World Cup. She continues to work in the stadium, but now as a tour guide. Here she is on the left being applauded by Miss Scot's class during a stadium tour earlier this year.

f6453668-1a2e-48b9-96c9-917bbb0b48f2.jpg

Less than 24 hours till we go to see the Italy v Paraguay game - can't wait!

Pass to you malo mystery

I vaguely recall watching something on Carte Blanche about her.

Sticking with the football/soccer theme - what is the largest crowd attendance at a World Cup game? There is an official FIFA figure and an unofficial figure that includes the hoards of people that illegally accessed the match. I will take either figure to the nearest 10 000, just say which figure you are answering with.

For interest - the lowest attendance for a match (including qualifying matches) was 0.

On 26 March 2005, Costa Rica and Panama set the record for the lowest attendance at a World Cup qualifier with a head count of zero. The match was played at Costa Rica's Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma in San Jose, where Costa Rica had recently lost to Mexico on 9 February 2005. According to reports filed after the loss to Mexico, the home fans threw various objects at the officials and the Mexican players, including bottles, coins, batteries, and fruit. As a punishment, FIFA ruled that Costa Rica's match against Panama had to be played behind closed doors. Despite the empty stadium, however, Costa Rica beat Panama 2-1 in a match the Costa Rican press called "miraculous," as Roy Myrie scored the go-ahead goal in the 90th minute.

When I was in Rio we visited Maracanã stadium. I seem to recall there was an attendance of some 200000 odd people at a football match prior to them installing individual seating. Whether this was a world cup match and whether these were official or unofficial numbers I can't recall.