South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

I had an old box of the 5" floppies a while ago. I got an old drive from my dad, and started loading some of the old games. I loaded one of the quest games, and was shocked at what we thought was good then. I thoroughly enjoyed all the Sierra quest games at the time, but think I have moved on now from them.

We still play Diablo II every now and then on a local LAN.

We (5 of us) have played it on Normal, Hell, and now on Nightmare. We hope to complete the whole game next long weekend.

wazat and tomtwogates are fairly close but not close enough for me to give it yet!

Hint: Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! was the 5th one in the series released in 1993.

okay then 8?

Shot - on the money Tom!

For those who are interested here they all are:-

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (1987)

Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places) or Leisure Suit Larry 2 (1988)

Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (1989)

Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work (1991)

Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! (1993)

Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! (1996)

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude (2004)

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust (2009)

There never was a Leisure Suit Larry 4 - but it is always referred to in games after #3 though! :drama:

Not quite Passionate Patti, but who was Krotoa?

Harry the Strandlopers connection. Harry is also know as Autshamou or something like that or she married some whitey Dutchman

I read a book about her - I believe she lived on Robben Island for a time

Or was she also a translator, slave type person for the Governor

Something along those lines

Trev

Harry the Strandlopers connection. Harry is also know as Autshamou or something like that or she married some whitey Dutchman

I read a book about her - I believe she lived on Robben Island for a time

Or was she also a translator, slave type person for the Governor

Something along those lines

Trev

good enough Trev - she was Harry's (or sometimes Herry) niece and was brought up by the van Riebeeck family as their maidservant from the age of 10. Later in 1664, when she was 21, she married the Dutch surgeon and explorer Pieter van Meerhof. He was soon after this made superintendent of Robben Island, but was killed on an expedition to Madagaskar. Krotoa (or Eva as she was also called) moved back to the mainland with her three children, but started drinking and sleeping around and abandoned her children and later was banished to the Island where she died at the age of 31.

Over to you

Has it something to do with a Baumann's family member getting married to a Baker?

Not really sure?

Did the Baker's take over the Baumann business?

Ok heres a bit of history that might help.

The first of the Baumanns to come to South Africa was John Frederick Baumann (born in Wurttemburg in Germany in 1824). He boarded a ship at Hull on the eastern coast of England at the age of 26 and sailed to South Africa. On his arrival in the village of Durban three months later in 1851 he opened business as a bread baker and grocery store.

Bakers is not named after a person!

There is a very good reason sparked by a specific incident that caused the name change!!!!!

I think this is still a tough one so will feed clues as people make further guesses

Just out of interest I was doing some research on Bakers Zoo Biscuits and came across the history of Baumanns/Bakers!!! So when my chance came up I thought it would be a good one!!

Now you have a few important clues!!! Yay for the Bakers Man!!!

Trev

Was it maybe one of those paperwork errors where when they were registering as "Baumans Bakers" the person actually doing the paperwork made a mistake and registered it as "Bakers" instead?

No

There was an action and then a reaction and then the business changed name - hastily!!!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because the state of Kentucky wanted to as royalties for the use of the name - maybe this was something similar...? Or the Baumann name was associated with some sort of scandal?

I thought that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name because of the association of "fried" being unhealthy, maybe France should charge them royalties on "French" fries too.

Edited by malo mystery
Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because the state of Kentucky wanted to as royalties for the use of the name - maybe this was something similar...? Or the Baumann name was associated with some sort of scandal?

The Baumann;s themselves no but by association yes and not a scandal more of an international incident!

Trev

Baumann sounds German - and would it be anti German sentiment associated with WW2 (or even WW1) - similar to the royal Battenbergs changing their name to Mountbatten?

Oh Oh - I missed this one

That's right on the money but there was a very specific incident leading to the anti-German sentiment and the burning down of a number of businesses - and ok I will give you WW1 and the year 1915 and the date 7 May.

If enough people feel the question has been answered as I guess the original question was not so specific - then I'll give it to Carbon Hunter.....

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

This is all very fascinating. My sister had a friend and i remember her saying 'it is lynn baumann of baumanns biscuits'. I never got around to finding out the link between baumans and bakers. I was dying to add that bit of info to this question, but it did nothing to get closer to the answer. But i'll add it anyway. Says the pooks from a youth hostel in Bath, england.

The sinking of the Luisitania?

Thats correct - well done Carbon Hunter!!!

The sinking of the Lusitania by the Germans in World War I in 1915 resulted in rioting in Durban. Amongst those who suffered were merchants, hotel owners and a variety of other undertakings. All businesses - there must have been about 15 of them - with German names were set alight. My grandfather’s bread bakery at the corner of West Street and Brickhill Road was burnt to the ground. In the block adjacent, just across Palmers Street, the biscuit factory was unharmed. The next day the government deployed soldiers to protect it as it was making army biscuits for our South African troops in East and West Africa.

Although my grandfather had been naturalised many years back and was a British citizen with two sons fighting against the Germans in East Africa, the name Baumann was obviously targetted as being a German name. It was recommended to my grandfather that he change the name of the company, at that time known as L Baumann and Company Ltd to some other name. My Uncle Albert, in his memoirs, records the following:

“During the May 1915 riots, when L Baumann & Company was burned down, a Mr S Welsford telephoned Mr Albert Baumann, offering to come on the Board of the new company. He suggested that it be called ‘Bakers Ltd’ because when a woman wants to buy a loaf of bread she automatically thinks of a baker and this is the first word that arises in her mind. The name could therefore be easily remembered and so easily called to mind.

Mr Welsford was a friend of Miss Grace Baumann (J M L Baumann’s only daughter)."

Read the rest of the history at http://teriton.co.za/

Trev

Let's see what this bring out of the woodwork. :unsure:

Recently I have been shopping for an article and was confronted with a combination of letters and numerals. They are specifically i3 and i5, amongst others. [No, I am not buying a BMW or a Hyundai.]

What do these refer to and what is the 1 main difference between them? :)

Let's see what this bring out of the woodwork. :unsure:

Recently I have been shopping for an article and was confronted with a combination of letters and numerals. They are specifically i3 and i5, amongst others. [No, I am not buying a BMW or a Hyundai.]

What do these refer to and what is the 1 main difference between them? :)

The "i" would have me guess an Apple product - maybe an iPad? the difference being er um lets see um errr the memory size?

Intel processor chips?

I am really surprised that with all the IT geeks on the Forum that this one lay idle for so long! Indeed they are Intel processors. DamhuisClan mentioned the i7 which is the Dig Daddy and generally only in desk top units, but I was looking for the i3 and i5 - or rather the difference between the two. Essentially these are the new generation processors and are the same [to a non-geek like myself] except that the i5 has "Turbo Boost" which automatically kicks in when the processor is under load. Difference in price is equivalent of about R500 [here that is]. All the laptops available here are now either i3 or i5 and at prices slightly less than the previous generation of processors.

Take it away gr8scot! :laughing:

I'm told by someone who prefers to search for lost golf balls rather than caches, that they could also be Ping golf clubs :laughing:

Back on the sporting theme, here's a question that was asked of me recently by our resident rugby guru:

A ‘Grand slam’ in rugby is achieved by beating England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland on a tour to the UK. A team achieved an ‘unofficial Grand Slam’ by accomplishing this outside the UK. Who did it and when?

Edited by gr8scot